An Eye For Deception

An Eye For Deception

A Poem by David O Whalen (O Haolin in Celtic)
"

Masks, charades and lies, Oh my!!

"
I’ve an ear for conceit
And an eye for deception
Age has instilled in me
A keen and acute perception

That allows me to see ‘neath the masks
That each one of us wear
And veils the face of true emotions
Tha we’ll ne’er dare to share

Deny it not!!
That what you allow us to see
Is more masquerade or charade
Of what you’d seem to be

We…all of us… are not at all
What our visage implies
But a carefully constructed
Cunning collage of lies

© 2014 David O Whalen (O Haolin in Celtic)


Author's Note

David O Whalen  (O Haolin in Celtic)
Do you agree?

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

We wear so many masks, some truer to our real self than others. Part self-preservation and part media hype, I suppose... a thoughtful piece here, David.

Posted 9 Years Ago


Ah ha, a questioning spirit that is on a quest for answers to that which rests below the surface, wanting to know more than meets the eye, wondering if what ones sees is what one gets, or if a voice of truth is actually a voice of truth, or a voice that is skilled in the art of trickery. All the world is a stage - some are more skilled in their acting than others, but yet we are all somewhat of a mystery. After all, why would one want to give away all of their secrets - would be quite foolish!
Your rhyming pattern is good with words that deliver a thought provoking message!
You ask if I agree.....does my review answer your question?

Posted 9 Years Ago


'Oh what a tangled web we weave, when first we practise to deceive.'

That about wraps it up I feel, although I have to say that a classroom full of innocent primary school children does tend to restore one's faith.

Beccy.

Posted 9 Years Ago


i agree with the last line for most...being that way.

but if we built or perception of ourselves through being honest...then, what you see is truly what you get.

well written piece of thoughtful poetry.

jacob

Posted 9 Years Ago


It does seem all of humanity hides behind masks. We live in a world that facilitates this hiding, even necessitates it. Society is too ready to condemn the different, the unique, the original. They taut originality but dress it up in conformity.

But, the lucky ones find someone or several someones with whom the masks are not needed. I do believe that we can build a space for ourselves, the heart of our lives, where the masks can be set aside. I know that nothing is hidden between me and my husband, nor me an my best friend -- the sister of my heart.

Posted 9 Years Ago


I do agree wth this. But it's going to take more than an ear for conceit and an eye for deception to seen beneath my mask.

Posted 9 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

182 Views
6 Reviews
Rating
Added on November 3, 2014
Last Updated on November 4, 2014

Author

David O Whalen  (O Haolin in Celtic)
David O Whalen (O Haolin in Celtic)

Las Vegas, NV



About
Born in Kentucky, teen years in Loveland Ohio, old in age, young in mind, I'm not human, I don't believe in religion, love. faith or trust, I do believe in: lil' kids, ol' dogs, leprechauns, and water.. more..

Writing