Chapter 1  Beginnings

Chapter 1 Beginnings

A Chapter by Darkshadow
"

A gay adolescent is faced with more challenges than his sexual preference. It is the year of fire, and it is up to the druids Ty and his new found friend Brian to unite the clans and save the world. This is one of a series of 5 books that I am working o

"

 

     I didn’t know why I was on my way to public school. Learning at home seemed perfectly acceptable to me. Why they would send me to this public pergatory baffled me. I couldn't let anyone know who or what I was, and it felt like a predestined failure. I didn't like this place, or these people. How does one make friends when you are a lie?

 

     The flowers told me rain was coming, and the trees' whispers confirmed it. The leaves were turning because it was going to be a strong storm. These signs came to me so naturally I seldom gave it a second thought.

     We raced down the road and I watched the stripes of the highway blaze past. We were almost there. How the hell did they expect me to fit in here? I knew I was special.  My piers would most likely call it 'Special Ed'. When it came to sports or athletic ability, I was more than lacking.  Botany and Biology were my passion.  Yeah, this was going to suck.

     I leaned against the door, hoping it might open unexpectedly and throw me against the pavement, to my death. I wasn't that lucky. We turned into one of the parking spaces in front of the massive school.

     "You are special, Ty," Mark’s sighed as he spoke.  The wind whistled through my open window and jumbled his words of comfort.

 

     I knew it was coming.  The lecture.  Don’t stand out, and try to blend in. Uhhh… okay…yeah.  I wanted to laugh out loud at the inevitability of the coming speech.

     "Don't use your special abilities. You must blend in here! We've taught you all we know," Kent was genuine with his advice, but I couldn’t help rolling my eyes at the predictable comment.  Did they think so little of me that I earned such condescension?  Did they think I was stupid?

 

     That day began my lessons of the difference between knowledge and wisdom.

 
     'Great... no pressure there' I thought as I stood amongst the throng of people pushing past me. I hated it. So many thoughts and feelings brushed against me that I felt smothered.  Mixed emotions flooded my mind as I crawled reluctantly from the car. What was I to do? Just stop? I didn't want to be here.

 

     The high energy of reaffirmed friendships didn’t make me feel any more welcome.  Their minds pressed against me like daggers as I trudged through the mass of students toward the principal's office. They were all so very confused. Half truths and skewed reality were going to have to be my way if I wanted to blend in with these... people. It felt so alien to have to suddenly hide parts of myself that had been encouraged to flourish over the last few years.

     These people hurt too much for words. How in the hell would I ever blend in here? I tucked myself into the hooded sweatshirt, and sat on the plastic chair in the administrative office, waiting for my class schedule. I half-heartedly hoped they would forget me.

     "Charleson, Ty, come into my office please." Mr. Kard announced.

     I slumped into one of the two chairs that sat before his desk. "Yes, Sir," I whispered.

     "I hear you have been home schooled, Ty," he said indignantly. I could feel his disdain crawl like insects along my skin.

     The school principal was a pudgy man with a crooked nose, grey hair, and a pedophile for a son. I could read his thoughts as if they were my own. He had also been skimming the school's books and I instantly despised him. He was a self important a*s, as were most people, and I could feel his insecurity quickly replaced by a sick self-imposed authority. He was a bad man.

     "Yes, sir," I answered.

     "You turn seventeen this year, according to your file," Mr. Kard said.

     I nodded my reply.

     "Well, then, I'll assume you are ready for your Junior year." He squinted his eyes in my direction as though waiting for an answer.

     It didn't help my worry, knowing this man hated me on sight. He thought that my family and our ways, were strange, and I knew why. I could see it in his mind. He had had a tryst with my uncle Trent during his childhood. It flashed across his mind and I could feel his tension, among other things.

     "You're already late for class," he said with a knowing grin. He didn't really care. He only hoped for my discomfort.

     I nodded and trekked through the concrete halls to gym class. Finally standing in the doorway outside of the gym, I hoped I wouldn't be noticed. It wasn't long before Mr. Durgo's gaze fell on me like a wet blanket.

     They had been playing dodge ball. I knew the game. I had read about it. There had even been a movie about it some time back, but I couldn't remember the name. I could feel the vehemence they felt toward one another, but I couldn't comprehend it beyond that. They hated and wanted to hurt each other. I knew that at least some of these people had to consider each other friends, so that puzzled me even more.

     The red bloated balls all came flying toward me. I didn't want to hurt anyone. I caught each and dropped them. The ones I couldn't manage to catch, I dodged. This wasn't my way, and it was unsettling to feel the sting of Mr. Durgo's agitation at my not being in uniform. I wanted to rush to the closeted space that I saw in his mind where the students changed clothes. I could also sense the sick joy he got from the awkward exposure of flesh.

     What kind of man got pleasure from our embarrassment? I wasn't going to fit in here. I could feel his sadness from having divorced earlier this year. He had lost a daughter, and his sorrow and anger rode violently through his mind.


     Welcome to Gym class. At that moment I was so angry with Kent and Mark for leaving me here I could barely contain myself. It didn't matter though, I was here and I didn't have any choice.

     "It's okay, you know," I whispered to him.

     Durgo just stood, staring at me. His anger was building and I hadn't done a thing. I had only offered him the slightest bit of comfort. He was in so much pain.

     The class ended at the tone of the bell. The speakers announced the end of our class and we had to rush to be ready for the next. There would be no time for showering today.

     "I'm sorry." I told him, and I meant it. I guess I shouldn't have said it. I didn't know we weren't supposed to feel here. This was such a strange world for me.

     I spent several classes buzzing about in my mind. English class was the best. We started reading "Hamlet." A tortured soul to say the least, but no less tortured than these fools. I had read it ages ago and thought it was fabulous.

     One body drew my attention more than most. His name was Brian. He was blond haired, average build, short, and cute. His world was a nightmare of pain, and he kept to himself. He didn't talk much with anyone, which made me like him even more. His green eyes flashed in my direction and I quickly hid myself behind my book. I had to keep quiet.

     I looked into his memory. He had a full heart waiting to love. Unfortunately it had been toughened up by too much misery. These people had too much baggage. I knew from their thoughts that High School was not a place of fun and free love. Worlds hinged on perception. This place sucked! Even worse, homosexuality burned across their minds like a bull's eye. They perceived it as some detestable thing and, at the very least, prized information to torment you with. Here, they all thought it was wrong! How was I supposed to work with that!? I wanted desperately to go back to my world at home. Surely there was more the uncles could teach me there.

     By the end of the day I had reduced three of my teachers to tears. I hadn't meant to, but I couldn't control my sympathy. I am an empathic Druid. I feel. The 'Circle' had called it my failing. Their disappointment in me was almost palatable. That expressed it with their words, as much as their hearts. It wasn't my fault.

     The day finally ended and I stood outside the school, waiting. Kent pulled up  in our old black Chevy truck, and I climbed in and slammed the door. I had hoped the sound would push away these people's pain, but I could still feel it pressing against my skin.

     "Get me out of here, Uncle Kent," I begged. Tears were welling in my eyes, and I didn't want to feel for these people. There was so much despair it was smothering and I hated this place. The uncles must have known what this would do to me.

     "Why?" I asked as hot tears rolled down my cheeks.

     My heart ached as though it had been scooped out of my chest and I couldn't decide what hurt more, the fact that they knew how this would affect me, or that they didn't seem to care.

     "This is the year of fire, Ty," Kent glanced at me like I should know what it meant. I did know, but I didn't want to accept it.



© 2008 Darkshadow


Author's Note

Darkshadow
Constructive criticism, comments and suggestions are always welcome.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

Very interesting story. I like the topic. I would recommend doing more "showing" and less "telling." I am interested in reading more.

Posted 6 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

113 Views
1 Review
Added on February 28, 2008
Last Updated on February 28, 2008


Author

Darkshadow
Darkshadow

Nunya, FL



About
I'm 36, and have been writing now for almost two years. I'm learning and hope that I never stop. When I first began writing, it was an obsession. I'm happy to say that it has not waned, however the.. more..

Writing
The Druid The Druid

A Book by Darkshadow


Prologue Prologue

A Chapter by Darkshadow