Decision or Deception

Decision or Deception

A Story by Aleena

 This is a simple but important story that can be read more than several times. Each name, sentence and feeling has been chosen with much thought and care and holds some significance. There is a sense of confusion included in the tale which gives us a message of import: Why do you think and wait that some events would make sense, when you forget that there are other stories in the universe unfurling at the same time and are throwing a shadow over our lives? In context of this story, there is a reason why what happens near the end of the story happens and we have to accept that we do not know everyone’s stories and no thing should be deemed senseless, just because it is beyond our understanding



Zayla carefully placed her steps on the ground, full of brown, red and orange with the spirit of autumn.According to Zayla, with the spirit of death.


“Sneaking out of the campus can lead to your suspension or expulsion.”


Her heart stopped and she braced herself. Her sights attached to a boy with wavy hair. His features were indistinct, masked with darkness. 


“In my opinion, the second option is better.” 


Her muscles relaxed and realised that he was also out of his dormitory after lights out. “Who said anything about being off campus? I was just practicing climbing walls,” she said, trying to be light-hearted.


“As far as I know, no one said anything to anyone. Including my invisible buddy, James, who is by the way wondering about this maiden’s name.”


“No way I am telling you that. So that you tattle on me.”


“I would know about your adventures if I was having mine along with you.”


“ You should better stick to that. I would be now heading to my room.”


“It's only two. The first teacher to get up is around six, which leaves us with four hours. You should come with me.”


Convinced by his lacking persuasion, she ended up spending hours with him. And a thing that would have surprised people was that she didn't mind his exhilarating company and found that they both were the edge of the same knife. 

                          ****************

“I was planning on something and I need you to work with me.'' The light haired boy and dark haired girl sat side by side against a tree in the forest just outside their school.


“I can't wait to hear about this one, Lothan.” They had been friends for over a month, and this had become their most frequent spot. 


“You know the girl Lucie. She has really been getting on my nerves lately, alluding to herself that she can help me.”


“So now you have got an idea to assist her and you want me to be your partner.”


“Spot on, ace.”

                      *****************************

Lothan came hurriedly and said in between gasping breaths, “She is coming. Be ready.”


She nodded, even though she knew she was not visible due to the blackness being let inside the hallway. A patter of footsteps followed behind Lothan, seconds after.


“Excuse me, I need help. Please help me.” Zayla croaked, using her perfect acting skills.

 

“What-” the poor girl was not even able to complete her last sentence. She was pushed by a force, choked with buried sentiments. 

                          **********************

Zayla saw  Lothan over the sea of heads and called out to him. His head began to turn- he probably did not hear her probably. She shouted his name but he refused to acknowledge her.

                                ************

A knock, nay, banging erupted on her door. She rolled her eyes at the whole world in particular and swung the door open. A towering man scowled down at her and her stomach sank. 


“Zayla Vale.”


“Yes.”


“You will have to follow me.”


“Oh sure, so you take me to a room and strangle me.” She would not go anywhere with a stranger just because he ordered her.


“A student has been found dead this morning.”


Her heart began pounding in irregular beats. “So?” she tried her best to pretend as she had been doing it last night.


He grabbed her and started to drag her, “Come on.” He took her to the principal's office. Of course, it wasn't her first time there but she had not planned on how to manage this situation. Her mind was stuck inside a whirlwind and she kept on trying to grab onto reason but her brain was determined to land her in trouble. Correction: she was in trouble. 

               ******************************

“She has taken my daughter’s life. What more is there to know?” a tight chignon quivered before Zayla.


“I know as Lucie's mother you feel she has to be brought to justice. But we should at least hear what she has to say.”


“She should not be allowed anything. She has done enough.”


“Dear, we should go outside  and calm down a bit.” A man stepped next to the woman and steered her out of the room. The principal, who had been  making an effort to coax her, also exited with them.


“Oh, what a delight to see you again mother.” Zayla rotated toward a woman with dark hair and irises, accompanied with alabaster skin to compliment them. 


“I already pay for you to stay in this school. Is that not enough from me? You have to follow me everywhere.”


“Technically, Qadir, your fiance pays for me to stay away from your life.”


“My husband. Qadir is my husband now.” A short pause continued, awkward from her mom’s side, though Zayla enjoyed it thoroughly. “That's besides the matter. Do  you know what you have gotten involved in? Who will pay for the lawyers; and the school will kick you out too.”


“Well, it was Lothan's plan, and he was there also.”


“Who? Child, your fingerprints matched on the girl’s sweater and your locker. A witness has also been procured against you.”


“We did not intend to kill her, surely that should matter.”


“Stupid, just like your father. They want a scapegoat and they’ve found one to blame.”

“If you’re not going to be of any help, then why are you here?”


“Because I am your mother, and supposedly I have some responsibility which I never asked for.”


“Okay-” she did not dare reveal the hitch in her voice. “It was appreciated that you came all the way here, but you are no longer needed. You may leave.”


“I should have expected you to be like this. Good luck in your life, then.”

          ************************************************

“Your honour, the witness, Lothan, is also an accomplice in this murder. Zayla was tricked into making a deal and working with him.”

“Zayla has been convicted. She will reside in custody for 30 years. She will be moved from her holding cells tomorrow.”


Why was she not shocked? Her hope had been declining slowly as the number of court hearings she had to attend had increased. It did not even take her a moment to resign herself with this decision. 

                ***************************

The man in front of him opened the metal door and a woman with graying hair sat in a chair in the middle of the room, staring at a wall. He cleared his throat, so as not to startle the prisoner.


“Good morning.”

“Is it morning? It is hard to tell when you are locked inside; especially in these pathetic buildings. Water has been dripping in the corner and I don't wish to have a private pool in my room.” The woman, looking lonely, had not lost the bite and sarcasm in her words.


“Indeed. Though I would also like to belittle these accommodations, I am here on more important business.”


“Fire away, boy.”


“I am Adrien and I'm Lucie's nephew. You see, I fully believe you are innocent and I am here to prove this to the world. You were tricked by a devil of a man.” He was speaking with a triumphant smile as if he had already won.


“There was a reason I was sent here. I was not completely innocent nor was I possessed or not in control of my actions and mind when I did it. ‘Anything that is mended is but patched: virtue that transgresses is but patched with sin, and sin that amends is but patched with virtue.’”

                         ****************

Extract of a newspaper:

                                  

    WOMAN RELeased a year earlier. Zayla Vale, at the age of sixteen, committed murder of her classmate. It was believed that it was a case of jealousy and animosity. After a long trial, fought by Jace Castle, Zayla vale was confined in custody for 30 years, in the year 1994. Adrien, the son of lucie’s (the unfortunate victim of murderer) younger sister, fought for Zayla’s innocence in the court after three decades, peculiarly. Zayla had a turn of luck and she was released of all her charges this Saturday, 15th January 2023. Adrien claimed Lucie's classmate Lothan was responsible, who had been a witness of Lucie's killing. A date  has been set for Lothan to appear in court, 28th february 2023. The people are extremely invested in justice being brought to the correct culprit.


© 2024 Aleena


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

44 Views
Added on July 8, 2024
Last Updated on July 8, 2024
Tags: betrayal, fyp, teenager, dealwithadevil, short

Author

Aleena
Aleena

About
Student more..

Writing
Nervous Nervous

A Poem by Aleena