Fireworks

Fireworks

A Story by McKinleyA
"

Based on a real day in my life.

"
At night, our little town looks beautiful from on top the mountains. Me and my family came up here to watch the Fourth of July fireworks. There weren't many of us, around eight. My dad, aunt, brothers, and my oldest brother's friends. We drove up until a gate blocked our passage by car, and we had to get out. We had about an hour before darkness sat in, so we took a moment and cooked some hot dogs with a little grill my aunt had brought.
It was nice, and everyone was enjoying themselves. Still, even with family, I couldn't help feel a bit out of place. I told myself it was regular teenage angst, but no matter what I said to reassure myself, I still could still feel a slight tug; a small something telling me that maybe it was something more. The wind picked up for a moment; I felt my hair try to escape my head, and the tall, green trees swayed in beat with the wind. Things were virtually undisturbed up here, aside from the dirt roads and our presence. The smell of the hot dogs was enticing, and though I wasn't at all hungry, I took one and slapped it in a bun. I looked up at the sky. I could see the darkening purplish sky, decorated with the clouds, each taking their own shape. Luckily mosquitoes were not a problem, my aunt had taken some lamp-like device that was designed to keep bugs away within a four meter radius. It seemed to be doing it's job. The day dwindled away some more, and I tried to apply myself more to the real world, but I couldn't get out of my head. I had problems, but they were normal things for my age. They were nothing to feel this bad about, so then I felt guilty.
We packed up our things: our grill, our soda cans, condiments, and put them in the car. We would have to walk about a half a mile or so up the mountain to find the good place to watch the fireworks. Trees covered our vision for the most part, but my dad and aunt had gone up here yesterday to scout out a good place to watch, and that was where we were headed. Night was in full swing now. Previously majestic trees now hid behind the shadows, as if shy. Stars took the place of clouds, and the moon began it's ten hour reign over our side of the Earth. The town below was surely preparing, it would not be long. I tried to get myself excited for what would surely be a nice experience, but I couldn't quite shake off my moodiness. I began to wonder if it really was just an age thing, or if I would feel this way for years. We turned on our flashlights and hiked on. My brother and his friends picked up speed and carried on ahead of us. Soon they had gone out of sight, swallowed by the black. We walked for another 10 minutes or so, and were sure we we had to be getting close.
Then, we began to hear the booms, the crackles, and the high shrieks from down below. We were missing it! We ran down the small incline off the path, and tried to find a place where the trees were not blocking the lights too bad. I descended carefully, and looked for a place I could stand comfortably. Then, my dad called for me, said he had found a great spot. I made my way over to him. The incline was more steep here, so I stood next to him while holding onto a tree to keep balance. The view was great! It was completely clear from where we stood. With no colorless limbs and leafs to hide the lights, we could see every color, every spark, and every lovable shape they printed on the sky. It was amazing. I looked on, transfixed. They shot fireworks every year, but I had never seen it like this. Up here, every light, and every boom seemed more prominent without the streetlights to murky it up. As the show died down, our anticipation grew. The fireworks stopped a moment, and we waited. Then, as they had done each year, they shot off a massive barrage. The sky lit up in tantalizing colors, the crackles and sparks filled the ear, even from such a distance. Some exploded into smiley faces, and some into hearts, to add a bit of charm to the whole deal. It was magnificent.
As I watched, I felt my minute problems slip out of mind. For some reason, looking down on the town, with every streetlight burning, and every building lit up; watching sky sing it's loud, tuneless song, with it's wonderful light show to go with it, everything was put in perspective. I had things to work out, and I would feel miserable sometimes. But it would be okay. These were the moments I would live for. Experiencing life, living in the moment when possible. Enjoying time with my family as much as I could.
We walked back to our cars, and waited for my brother and his friends. When they finally got back, we all drove home. Tired, but satisfied. It had been a good night. It seemed silly yet wonderful to me that something so unrelated, so small could shoo away that dark cloud of sadness that we let hover over us too much. I laid back in my seat and fell asleep, looking forward to the rest of my life.

© 2012 McKinleyA


Author's Note

McKinleyA
I would love any input on the description of the scene. And as always, any criticism, any tips, or anything at all you can say to help is appreciated!

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

I really like this! The way you described the fireworks, I could imagine them in my head. I found myself wishing it was the Fourth of July again, because this reminded me of how much fun the fireworks are in my own home town. Your description of the night, from the sky durning a darker shade of purple to the stars and the moon, was spot on!

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

The message contained in your ending is pefect we all have doubts and allow little things to niggle us but in the great scheme of things do they really matter. You penned the scene with vivid imagery and detail and spun the tale as if it was a one on one with a friend, hard to achieve but you attained the feeling. Keep em' coming

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I really like this! The way you described the fireworks, I could imagine them in my head. I found myself wishing it was the Fourth of July again, because this reminded me of how much fun the fireworks are in my own home town. Your description of the night, from the sky durning a darker shade of purple to the stars and the moon, was spot on!

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

371 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on February 8, 2012
Last Updated on February 9, 2012
Tags: fire, works, fireworks, aunt, dad, family, mountain, hot, dog, hotdogs, hike, hiking, sad, depressed, out, of, place, happy

Author

McKinleyA
McKinleyA

Etowah, TN



Writing
Last Call Last Call

A Story by McKinleyA