Dignified Plague

Dignified Plague

A Story by Daiku Maryu
"

They come when they wish, not when you are prepared. They take what they want and leave nothing in return.

"
Dignified Plague



They barred the windows, they locked the doors and hid in the cellars – mothers holding children close to themselves, fathers grasping whatever they intended to use as a weapon so hard their knuckles turned white. Everyone strong enough was holding a piece of iron – any piece at hand. Much as the odds were against them, they were determined to try.

The Lords and Ladies came: elegant, colourful and laughing, like a flock of exotic birds. They strode lazily through the abandoned village. From time to time one of them would open a door and peek inside, but they never entered. It was almost as if they were guests on a banquet and were choosing what to eat.

Having done nothing, it seemed as if they were going to leave. One of them suddenly stopped as a smile spread across his face. He was a handsome man and yet the smile came off as unpleasant and cruel. With a dramatic flare that would have looked ridiculous, if performed by somebody else, he pointed at a small cottage. A woman went over to the door and pushed it open. Unlike before, she didn’t peer inside but strode in confidently.

Without stopping or looking around, she headed for a small rug carpet and kicked it away, revealing a trap door. With the same eerie smile that the young man before displayed she beckoned two other men. They rushed to her side: one opened the trapdoor and the latter jumped into a dusty cellar.

He looked around, raised his arm and flicked his hand – a moment later a small ball of light circled over his head. It wasn’t very strong but enough to see. What he saw must have pleased him because now he too was smiling.

There were several children huddled together and in front of them a woman with a knife. The man ignored her and focused on a smallish girl of maybe six. The girl looked back, the expression of fear slowly melting, as she stood up. Then she took a step forward, her face dreamy…

And the man smiled, as unpleasantly as the others. The Lords and Ladies took what they wanted…

© 2009 Daiku Maryu


Author's Note

Daiku Maryu
Constructive criticism wanted. If you see a way I could improve this, please tell me.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

with this "came of as unpleasant " Did you mean "off" instead "of"?

This is a rather creepy piece. Ar the Lofds and Ladies real people or a supernatural creature? Time period is hard to pin point also- seems a little monder with the imagery of a light bulb being turned on but not actually being called that. Seems old though too with the cottages and iron tools at hand. Creepy, but very good!

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

with this "came of as unpleasant " Did you mean "off" instead "of"?

This is a rather creepy piece. Ar the Lofds and Ladies real people or a supernatural creature? Time period is hard to pin point also- seems a little monder with the imagery of a light bulb being turned on but not actually being called that. Seems old though too with the cottages and iron tools at hand. Creepy, but very good!

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

This was a brilliant piece!
I noticed but one thing; Preformed = Performed,
But it doesn't matter-- it still got the point
of the story across. It was terrifying
and the imagery was incredulous.

So Good job! Keep writing!

Posted 15 Years Ago


[send message][befriend] Subscribe
269
Well...you might give the characters depth. This just my thoughts, because I like my characters to speak and think. But then in real life, I am always wondering what people are thinking and why they are doing this or that. Thanks for the story, charly

Posted 15 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

288 Views
3 Reviews
Rating
Added on December 2, 2008
Last Updated on February 6, 2009

Author

Daiku Maryu
Daiku Maryu

Lodz, Poland



About
Well, for all those oh-so-fascinated with who I am... I was born in Poland, Lodz and live there (though I study in Warsaw). I'm a Super Robot fan, but I also like a good read (fantasy in particular). .. more..

Writing
Gifts Gifts

A Story by Daiku Maryu



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Snow Queen Snow Queen

A Story by Daiku Maryu


Alone Alone

A Story by Daiku Maryu