City Splendor

City Splendor

A Chapter by Jennifer
"

Ovens...

"

          I’m a divergent boy with a talent that I find extraordinary and amusing.

         I’m not just your off-the-mill everyday guy you’ll see at your school, mall, city, etc., etc. I have a talent, but it’s not the type of talent you have. I can be good at cooking but I have something more impressing. It’s a talent that my mother has given me. Something that makes me, me. It defines my very existence and I’m proud to be different from normal.

         My mom gave me a mind, body, a talent, along with a bit of imagination. And with this I’m flourishing and living life in a very optimistic way. However, I really wished there was something intriguing that involved my talent. Something like an adventure would be nice. Like in fiction novels where the main character goes on an adventure to save someone or accomplish a goal.

         For now, I can only use my power for cooking and for always helping out my mom.

         I hear yelling from far away, “It’s not working again!!!!” she wails. “I was just frying some fried shrimp too!”

         The oven in the kitchen is actually new but the fire doesn’t come out to well. Sometimes… actually not even sometimes… Always, the fire would suddenly die out, but when I use my fire, it stays light so I usually stay with her in the kitchen but in the mornings she rarely cooks so I didn’t know.

         I sigh. Just thinking of the constant mishaps from that oven makes me want to kick it so hard enough to find an excuse to buy a new one. However, my mom says that there’s nothing wrong with it. I wonder about that.

         Hopefully, this time it won’t turn out so bad. Last time, the fire started to die out so my mom got a lighter for cooking. Unfortunately, the fire “somehow” got on her apron, and it started burning. Surprisingly enough, she didn’t get burned at all.

         I quickly walked on the wood floor being careful not to slip since I had my socks on. When I reached the stairs, I sat on the handrail and slid down. Soon after, I got ready and walked through the living room that was connected to the kitchen.

         Thankfully, the kitchen wasn’t a mess this time. Some fried shrimp including the oil-covered pan were on the floor but I’ve seen worse.

          “So, what happened this time?” I ask as if it was part of my routine of oven mishaps.

         She was clenching onto her red hand. She looks up and starting to explain, “Well…” she pauses, hesitating, but continues, “I was cooking and as usual the fire dyes out. So I crouched down to check, but the pan fell since my hand was holding the handle and my arm went down with me. Also, right when I was going to get up I ended up frying my hand on the pan, since it was still on the floor.”

         I stare at her with no expression and sigh. I walked over to the sink and noticed the small button that I saw last week. It was so small that only a Qualia’s eyes could see it. Ignoring it, I turn on the sink and with one hand I formed a water-ball. I moved it and mom curiously looks at the water ball. She eyes it until it ends up on her red hand.

         I stick my hand out, now slightly laughing at her clumsiness, “Does it still hurt?”

          “Just stings a little, its not so bad,” she grabs my hand with her uninjured, right hand and gets up. “I have a feeling it’ll leave a nasty blister though”

         “I’ll make breakfast,” I offer.

         I see her nod and shiver to the sink then off into the living room. Turning a blind eye to why she went to the sink, I slowly raise my hand and with my sharp senses I can feel the temperature go in the living room as I started a fire in the fireplace.

         I cleaned the floor and picked up the fried ship on the floor. I picked up the pan on the floor and left it in the sink. I then got out a brand new pan. To heat the pan I snapped and started a quick, hot fire. While the pan heated I walked over to the fridge and got out 2 eggs, some spam, ingredients for pancakes, and left the syrup on the table.

         I enjoyed cooking. Also, memorizing recipes were a piece of cake due to my lengthened memory, capacity of mind, and with my eyes that can see too clearly. I finished breakfast and put everything on a plate.

         “Eat!” I call, but in return I get utter silence.

         I walk over to the living room. She ended up falling asleep in front of the fireplace. Since the water-ball was still on her hand, I motioned it to the fire and just for fun I wanted to see if the fire would turn off. Instead, it grew since it obviously wasn’t enough water. I motioned my hand and it dimmed and it reduced to smoke, which I blew away. I put a blanket over her and went pack into the kitchen. I wrapped the food with a plastic wrap and left a note saying to eat and sleep more.

         I look at the time and it was 6:54 but I decided to leave even though school started at 7:50. I just wanted to take a detour.

         I opened the door and felt the cool breeze. Seeing all the green in this city relaxed me. I walk out to the sidewalk and there were barely any cars. I crossed two blocks and looked at the splendor of green and the sprouting flowers. I turn left and the street starts to get steep. Right when I started to see the park, the place I wanted to go to, I saw a girl with red-brown hair just like mine. 



© 2011 Jennifer


Author's Note

Jennifer
Hello this is the second chapter of Qualia! this is from the Boy's point of view.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

237 Views
Added on October 1, 2011
Last Updated on October 1, 2011
Tags: fire, water, ovens, mom, boy, powers


Author

Jennifer
Jennifer

Los Angeles, CA



About
☆I'm just your average middle school girl☆ A bit about me... Well first off, I'm 100% Korean. I was born in America so I'm kinda bad at Korean :P... It's kinda hard to have a conversati.. more..

Writing
Gift Gift

A Chapter by Jennifer


Qualia Qualia

A Book by Jennifer