Cat Center - Act 1

Cat Center - Act 1

A Story by Connor Shane
"

This is part of a multi-step journey that has no particular end in mind. It shall be focused on many different kitties, from all walks of life, all of whom come with their own stories!

"

Cat Center - Act 1

 

 

Hoi!


I’m Play-Doh! I’m also one of the newest arrivals at this place they call the La Jolla Cat Lounge and Rescue Center. It’s this little spot next to the loudest street EVER, yet it’s fairly cozy from what I see so far! There’s lots of beautiful felines here, and the long-legged, monstrous-looking slender things called “humans” are very nice as well!

 

I don’t really recall having much human interaction before I got here, honestly. Sorry if I’m being a bit random and on-the-spot here! As you can see, my muzzle is currently in the spot that it loves the most- the food bowl! It’s the most delicious, scrumptious, and wonderful place! I’m a simple gal in that sense, you know? Some cats are too scared to really eat when they first come in here, I guess. I’ve heard some “veteran” cats tell really scary stories of conflict with other felines and even with some awful humans who really didn’t get the memo of the Golden Rule…

 

Although, I suppose I’m not sure what exactly constitutes good human behavior… or even what makes a good cat, really. I just know I have to finish this food real quick, so please hold tight.

 

I’ll play with ya in a second!

 

 

Okay!

 

I think I can tear myself away from the food for a bit :). I hope you realize the magnitude of this action. I don’t dare walk away from free food for just any no-good reason! Also, there’s this human who’s been staring at me for a good while now, and it’s really making me feel something. This kid has funny-looking glasses, frizzly hair, and a lot of acne! Dang. Must be sick or something. At least cats have all this lavish fur to cover up any blemishes! Since if you can’t fix it, might as well hide it, right?

 

Well, maybe not hide it. At least, not unless you’re gonna get hurt if you don’t.  That’s what I had to do, back before I came here. Hide myself while the evil was near, and not come out until the coast was at least mostly clear.

 

If you don’t already know, I was a stray back in uh… Los Angeles, I think? Not very angelic, if you ask me! Lots of garbage, nasty alleyways, and people rushing about for some reason! I just wanted to live with someone and be happy together, you know? What was everyone always rushing around for, trying to accomplish a million different material goals that probably don’t matter in the end…

 

But I was just on the sidelines, watching it all happen, I suppose. I was tired of playing by myself one day, and I guess I let myself get caught? My deep, soothing blue eyes captivated many passers-by during my time as a stray. Wasn’t there a game called stray? Or am I being forgetful again? I thought I saw someone playing it through a window, but then again, I did see a lotta strange things through windows… and even through open doors. They say life is about opening doors, but I saw a lot of loud and angry things through open doors that I’d rather have left closed. Is that just me? I dunno. I’m just a baby.

 

 

Anyways, I’m getting scared of all these random humans who just came storming into the cat lounge. Where do they all come from? I came from a particular place, a place I know about, but all these folks? Even the cats come in seemingly at random, all with their various stories and temperaments… It’s too much to handle at times, you know? I just wanna hide away and relax for a bit, so that’s what I’ll do right now!

 

 

Well, this glasses-wearing human followed me into the backrooms.

I guess it’s not a bad thing, perse. I suppose it’s just a bit disconcerting since I can’t remember when a human followed me back in LA for any reason other than to do not-nice things to me… Well, okay, no. “Not-nice” is a bit of a stretch, I can admit that. I don’t really know what any of them wanted to do with me, or why people would keep on calling me to come get into these black and grey cages they would put on the ground and place juicy-looking food into. Other times they would just jump at me, as if that would catch me! Some people are real stupid-heads, you know? Then again, I suppose I am writing this for humans to read. Or whoever, really. I feel like good literature is one that can be read by both humans and cats- and everyone else!

But the point is, I am not really sure what this long-legged white kid wants from me. White? I mean, I’m white too, sort of. Colors are bizarre. I’m glad cats don’t really care about ‘em! I think. Or do we? Maybe if it’s red… Anyways, I’m now inside of a cat carrier in the corner. It tends to feel chill in here, like a cozy spot to just hang out and sleep the day’s stressors away. Wonder if humans ever do that? So busy and sweaty-looking all the time, maybe they don’t.

 

Oh? Curious. The humans has sat down in front of me. Do they want pets? I try to pet humans, but they get all scared and shove me away… So why do they come near me? Making noises is cool and all, but if we can’t communicate in the same language then why does it matter? I think I’ll try physical communication. Seems to be the one method of discussion that works. At least, sometimes it works. Sometimes.

 

Oh, wow. See? I just came out of my carrier to look at this human boy a little closer, and this happened:

 

Isn’t this something? I once heard a cat who had just come in from the Outside talk about how they had PTSD. Not sure if that’s a real thing, since after I got tricked by a cat named Razzmatazz I vowed to never fully believe word of meowth ever again. I mean, Razz literally told me that the things in the tray were definitely chocolate candies and nothing harmful. It took me too long to realize what they really were. I was disgusted by litter boxes for like a week after that!

 

Wow, this human’s hand feels very nice. Rubs are the best- if they’re done properly! Everything has technique, of course! I guess I was just saying how PTSD or whatever it is makes me almost worry about the chance of having to fight off a hand that wants to strangle me. I escaped once or twice from a hurtful human that forced me into a cage and tried to put me into a weird-looking facility. Some shelters just aren’t right, I swear. Or, maybe it’s the people that aren’t right. That’s why I like this place. This cat lounge treats us as living people. I like that!

 

 


Now, I face a weird quandary. It is this:

 

Do I jump?

That sounded bad. I meant like should I go toward the human more? It’s a weird pickle of a question, since if I do risk it, I could find myself smothered in “hugs” and “kisses” and lots of loud noise like what the other humans who come in here force upon me. Or the other ones that stab me with needles relentlessly. At least those ones give me creamy, licky treats afterwards! You should always reward us for cooperation.

 

In spite of my intense contemplations, this human just seems to sit here and ask me for something, possibly. Do I want to risk it? Gosh, I wish I could just ask you, dear human! I hope you have nothing malicious behind that bearded smile of yours! Human faces are so freaking weird, man. They contort their facial features all over the place! Why? They look like a monster at times, I swear.

 

I think this predicament of “Do I jump?” is rather comical. I mean, who the heck cares what a tiny little she-cat does? I figure it won’t save the universe, right? Oh wait, I don’t even know what the universe really is. I think it’s just the size of this lounge, really. Other places are just kind of non-existent now, you know? I’ve started thinking that I’ll live here in this place forever, so… Why consider anything else?

 

 

 

Well, here I am. I am right here:

 

That door in front of me… The sense of how the light pours in so heavily from the Outside, combined with the dirty whiteness of the building across from me, and the smell of garbage upon garbage that radiates out so horrifically into my nose…

 

Almost lets me forget that I just took the risk. The human’s lap is very, very comforting, and I’ve decided I shall never leave. Unless I find a reason to leave, of course. The kid now strokes my head and back, sending vibrations of happiness into my soul. Is that dramatic? I dunno, I’m not a poet or anything. Macaroni and Cheese is a seriously wonderful writer cat, so go to them for nice stanzas! I’m just here, looking outside…

 

Do I remember what’s out there? I guess I do, since I was just telling you about my time in LA. Although, how much of that is still true and how much is muddled in my furry mind is something I can’t say. I just know that it felt like I lived through it, all the fear and days spent hiding near garbage cans… I do think it happened, so I guess that’s proof enough. Maybe.

Regardless, I do indeed enjoy this position. Having my body massaged so lavishly while I contemplate the fate of existence and what may lay outside this gate in front of me. It’s a nice thing, really. I mean, of course that anxiety about maybe getting mauled to death by this human is still there, lingering and leaving droplets everywhere in my mind. It’s really freaking annoying! The funny thing is, I don’t know if I care as much about that fear right now. Maybe it’s the euphoria of how well  this kid can stroke, but I really am enjoying this.

 

I really am!

 

 

Okay, I’ve decided.

If I am to truly stay here and live my life out in this cat lounge, then I am happy to do so.

This is why:

 

I guess this feeling is what the other cats were trying to say when they talked about finding a real family. Maybe I won’t get taken home by this human, but even so, I’m starting to get that thought again. It’s really powerful in my mind now, and I don’t think it’s just superfluous fluff or anything. The idea that maybe, just perhaps, a family of nice humans isn’t too much of a stretch?

 

I’ve seen some other cats get all excited about some humans who would come visit them habitually, and then the cats would one day be gone. “I’m finally gonna have a good life, guys!” is what they would say before they go. A good life? I was so confused before. If we were all living here in the lounge, with just our fellow cats around (mostly), then why did we need to instead live with a bunch of long-legged humans?

 

I guess this is what those cats were trying to say. This:

 

Perhaps if this is what I can hope for, then perhaps I can give some more humans a better chance. I mean, they still can’t smother the breath out of me whenever they want, but we can work on those things. I think for now, I’ll try to find more humans who can be like this one. Quiet, kind, patient, and caring. I like that word, “caring”. It’s a sweet kind of deal, ya know? I think I remember feeling some sort of caring back when I was a small, tiny kitten. Back when I had a family of my own, I guess…

 

But now, maybe that can happen again? I dunno, who knows. Could be the euphoria of the strokes talking again, but oh well. It feels right, ok? It just does. Feels like if this moment could be real, then some other moments could be too. In some way, shape, or form. Does that make any sense? Maybe not. I have no clue what this kid is even doing this for. I can hope that he wants to love me forever, but who knows.

 

Who freaking knows!

 

 

I think I’m done writing this. I’ll give this writing device to another cat at some point. I just want to end with this quote that I remember hearing from a cat a few days ago. I think it fits in this moment. They said something like,

 

“All that stuff you want? It can happen. Even if it won’t be now, or later, or later later, or later later later, it will happen. All we gotta do is persist.”

 

Who said that? No clue. I don’t even care. Same as it is during my time with this human right now, actually.

 

I just like it!

 

 

 

 

FIN

 

 

 


 

 

(NOTE: The cat named Play-Doh, as depicted in this story, is based on a real cat that, at the time of writing this, is living at the La Jolla Cat Lounge and Rescue Center. She is available for adoption at the time of this writing. The characterized version of her in this story is NOT meant to be wholly representative of her real-life personality and history. The images were taken by me. The La Jolla Cat Lounge and Rescue Center staff gave their explicit permission allowing me to publish this story with the images included. Please support the La Jolla Cat Lounge and Rescue Center by visiting their website here: https://thecatlounge.org/home . Thank you!)

 

 

 

 

 

© 2024 Connor Shane


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

25 Views
Added on July 4, 2024
Last Updated on July 8, 2024
Tags: Cat, Love, Fear, Anxiety, Connection, Family, Friendship

Author

Connor Shane
Connor Shane

San Diego, CA



About
Connor Shane is a big writer and reader, but can’t help gaming every now and then. Besides school, his main hobby is writing, such as longer short stories, poems, and flash fiction. Other than w.. more..

Writing
Chapter 1 Chapter 1

A Chapter by Connor Shane


Chapter 2 Chapter 2

A Chapter by Connor Shane