Of Shadows and Regrets

Of Shadows and Regrets

A Story by OctoberDawn
"

"Although I grew up in his shadow I never looked up to him once. Although we stood eye to eye I didn't see into his soul."

"
Porter gazed up, half expecting to be greeted with the deep blue of the darkening evening sky, however, what met his eyes caught him entirely off guard. A lighter blue, a calmer and more vibrant blue stared down at him.
 The same shade of blue that had always been there for as long as he could remember. The same blue that laughed, cared, loved, shared, taught, listened, and always was there when he needed it most. 
The same blue that fought, yelled, disagreed, lost it's temper, and eventually pushed him away. Although Porter would never know this, it was also the same blue that lay awake at night and let soft and silent tears fall for everything that had come between them.
 It had been many years since Porter had seen this blue, but he had immediately recognized it. There were so many things that Porter wanted to say, so many things he wanted to apologize for. Speaking was getting more difficult though, and Porter could tell, just by looking into that bright shade of blue that gently and lovingly stared down at him, that he didn't need to say a word. Instead he just leaned back into the ambulance bed and gazed up into that familiar shade of blue. 
And just as it had started, it ended; with Porter being held in those strong arms and smiling up at his father.

© 2012 OctoberDawn


Author's Note

OctoberDawn
Awoken from slumber, sleep would not find me again that night; my pen would find these words instead.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

beautiful writing
nice story, too

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

What to say? It was... Different, in a good way, you expressed love, longing, and loss to perfection here.
Favorited.

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

193 Views
2 Reviews
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on June 16, 2012
Last Updated on June 16, 2012
Tags: Regrets, Shadows, Father

Author

OctoberDawn
OctoberDawn

CO



About
My name is Criss Hill, I'm 20 and I'm from Colorado. I don't so much consciously write poetry as my heart takes control of my pen and urges me to capture a pale fragment of the beauty and heartbreak o.. more..

Writing
Strength Strength

A Poem by OctoberDawn


Good Man Good Man

A Poem by OctoberDawn