Daddy's Delight ~ Rhapsody's Baby Sister

Daddy's Delight ~ Rhapsody's Baby Sister

A Story by Constance Payne
"

As time marches on we learn, live, grow, expand, and understand much; yet never quite everything.

"
"Daddy's Delight" was a twenty six foot sloop with a living space potentially equal to a twelve by twelve bed room with areas under the catwalks for sleeping for Karman and Kara and a bed in the bow for Jim and Jan. It was small, cozy, and just enough space for a two burner hot plate, an ice chest, a table with seating for four, and directly in front of the door with limited privacy was the head (or bathroom for you non-nautical individuals).  
When sisters live in a large space tension causes disputes; cut that space by two-thirds and you have a world war raging within showing with outward expressions exploding toward each other causing two cramped little girls to fight ten times more than normal, which was considerable in the first place.  Karman and Kara did not play well together; Karman was the controlling force and Kara was the tattletale.  Every person plays a part in this world and these two had their parts down pat.  Mom and dad made pretty good referees but there is always something to stir the aggravation with and put that in a tiny enclosed space all hell breaks loose on a regular and reoccurring basis.  Jim and Jan thought they would go nuts by the time it was over; but that would not be for six months.
Sailing is an interesting form of boating because when the sails are aloft assisting the beautiful craft to glide through the salty water she leans at approximately a forty five degree angle making any loose items in the cabin immediately become dangerous flying objects. Therefore, prior to each sailing adventure all toys and whatnot had to be secured and put away; this does not always happen and can make for a tear filled adventure when a favorite doll or toy falls overboard while under full sail in the gulf.  There is no stopping or turning around to get them.  
Karman felt this deeply when her favorite Raggedy Ann and Andy dolls were sunning themselves with her on the deck and being made of lightweight muslin and cotton decided to take a swim under full tilted sail.  Her grandmother had made them for her and she had promised to take good care of them; she felt as if she had let her grandmother down and grandmother would not love her any more.  It took Jim and Jan quite a bit of time to get her crying under control and make her understand that grandmother would not stop loving her for something that was out of her control. Karman begged them to go back but it was too late; they were sailing away quickly as the dolls were sinking even faster.  Jim tried to make a joke that now a little octopus girl would have two beautiful dollies to play with; it was not taken well at the time.  Jan promised they could call grandmother and explain what happened and ask for another pair.  Making a long distance call was a treat and Karman began to settle down and enjoy the trip.
It was a beautiful day and with many previous successful sailing adventures the family expected to have another such day.  One thing about spring is that storms come up quickly and disappear just as fast.  Normally on land in a storm you go inside, close the windows, and ride it out until the sun shines again in twenty minutes or so.  However, in a sailboat, you batten down the hatches and pray for calm waters to come quickly.  
This beautiful sunny day suddenly became a terrifyingly dreadful adventure for "Daddy's Delight".  The winds began to move the little craft faster than was considered safe for her size and the sky darkened.  Jim and Jan got the sails stowed while Karman and Kara got the cabin in order to ride out the storm they all knew was coming.  The waves began to rise sending the little boat's bow high into the air and dropping her down in what seemed to take an eternity as each new wave came and went.  The wind blew and the rain started sending the boat twisting and turning and rolling front to back and side to side in what seemed like the most exciting ride to Karman.  Jan, Kara, and Jim were not as excited about this event.  
Safety encouraged Jan to take the girls and go below deck; closing the hatch so Karman could not longer see her dad nor the waves that were hitting the boat.  She was afraid that her daddy would be lost in the torrent of waves and wind as the boat twisted and hurled from side to side.  Jim stayed upon deck to make his best attempt to keep "Daddy's Delight" aimed into the surf which was the safest course of action, for if she turned cross ways of the waves the potential for her capsizing increased exponentially.  Jim was doing great commanding his vessel being both captain and crew, Jan and Kara were crying and scared in the cabin, Karman just wanted to either be outside with her daddy or at least be able to see him.  Despite her many arguments she had no way to win with a mother who could not swim and was fearing for not only her own life but the lives of her family in that moment of unnerving excitement.
Suddenly the boat jerked and began to swing around sideways to the direction of the waves and Jan's biggest fear was realized as the twenty six foot sloop with nine hundred pounds of lead ballast attached to her hull began to tip over.  The mast slapping the water with such force that the antenna broke from the top of the mast leaving the little craft stranded beyond all help, for they could no longer call anyone. They could only depend upon God and Jim for a return to dry land and the safety they so desired at that moment in time.  Jan was afraid that she had lost Jim and removed the top board to the hatch so that she could call to him as "Daddy's Delight" began to right herself.
"JIMMMMMMMMM" she screamed over and over with an increasing fear that both Karman and Kara were feeling as well; that their daddy had fallen overboard when the boat had tipped and was lost forever.  "JIMMMMMMMMMM" the sound of her fear coming through her anguished tears, "Damn you James Max you had better have your a*s  on this boat and take me back to land; you promised" she screamed, tears filling her eyes as she finally seen him returning from the bow as he had grabbed the main mast and held on for dear life when he realized she was going to tip.  The tears flowed, kisses were exchanged momentarily, and Jim returned to captain and crew to ride out the little storm.  
As quickly as the spring squall had appeared, it disappeared. The waters calmed, the wind stopped, the rains ceased, the sky became a beautiful azure blue, the water surface sparkled in the sunlight, and the tiredly terrified family began to make it's way back to the safety of dry ground.  
Getting under sail everyone was back on deck.  Jan sat as close to Jim as she could get without actually being in his lap and the girls gleamed with pride at the greatness of the man who had saved them from the terrible fears they had allowed to encroach there minds during the misadventure they had just survived.
The Coast Guard cutter that pulled along side as they were nearing home was surprised to see the little family alive and well; they had received two reports of the lost vessel and had been searching for the past two hours.  It was reported that at least two boats had sunk and they were still searching for survivors.  Jim was congratulated on his abilities and the family continued toward the dock that was their home.
Sails dropped; engine puttering "Daddy's Delight" back into her designated slip at the marina made all seemed right with the world.  They were home, the boat needed some minor repairs but would sail again, and Jim had been given congratulations by the Coast Guard Captain for his skill.  Jan, however, was not in the best of moods.  Tying the last of the dock lines she returned to the cabin and began to pack a bag for her and her daughters.  
"Jan, what is going on?" Jim asked in a dazed mentality.  Jan sent Karman and Kara out to play while she had a heart to heart discussion with Jim.  She explained her fear as well as her feelings.  Jim and Jan came up from the cabin of "Daddy's Delight"  in what would be the last time Jan or the girls would ever set foot on her decks and they moved into a motel until they could locate and rent an apartment or house that had a foundation attached to the ground.
Jim dreamed of traveling the world; showing his daughter's all there was to see.  This dream by sea was now dead and he would have to find another way that a poor man could give his children the world.  Despite his frustration at surrendering his dream he actually felt a sense of relief at Jan's ultimatum; for the fear that his dream had almost killed what he loved most in this world was more than he could handle.  
A tiny two bedroom house was found and the family once again moved, changing the dream ever so slightly.  Jim began to try to sell "Daddy's Delight" and after several weeks found the perfect buyer.  Jim was an honest man and told the gentleman buyer why he was selling.  The buyer had heard of the adventures of "Daddy's Delight"  from a friend of his in the Coast Guard and was well impressed by not only her captain but her ability to stay afloat.  The buyer also shared Jim's dream to travel and had an offer that Jim found he could not refuse.  He offered seven thousand dollars and an old nineteen thirty six flex grey hound bus that could be converted into a travel trailer giving Jim the ability to at least give his daughter's the adventures from Canada to the tip of Brazil on dry, solid, non-sinking wheels.  Surely Jan would agree to that.  He went home, presented the buyer and the deal.  The rolling of the eyes betrayed by the smile showed the love she had for her husband and the relief she felt as he once again would be able to fulfill his dream of traveling, in some sense anyway.
Work began to restore this old bus.....but that is another chapter in the adventures that began with a "Miss-Fit". 

© 2013 Constance Payne


Author's Note

Constance Payne
true life and fiction are simply two sides of the same memory.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

I like your family tale of love and adventure. I felt sea sick just thinking about being on that boat!

Posted 11 Years Ago


Constance Payne

11 Years Ago

Thank You for Reading this adventure.
truly loved the excellent piece

Posted 11 Years Ago


Constance Payne

11 Years Ago

Thank you so much for reading. There are several pieces that go with this.
Devanshu Rajput

11 Years Ago

welcome
Liking this family - a very 'real' feel to them. Also, a tribute to your writing that I felt anxious as I read your piece - I am a bit "water-phobic", and could imagine the scene quite clearly.

Posted 11 Years Ago


Constance Payne

11 Years Ago

Thank You for reading as well as the wonderful compliment. There are several pieces that go with th.. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

186 Views
3 Reviews
Added on March 23, 2013
Last Updated on March 23, 2013
Tags: life, childhood, boats, memories, truth, fiction

Author

Constance Payne
Constance Payne

Saint James, MO



About
I am an Inspirational Photographer who desires to change her small part of the world. I aspire to inspire. I am a Master's Student in Community Counseling. I am who I am and that is all that I can .. more..

Writing