The Morning after Christmas

The Morning after Christmas

A Story by Colleber
"

Fiction - Journal type

"

 

'What time is it?' I thought as I searched gingerly for the speaking alarm clock by my pillow. 'Not time to get up that's for sure', I muttered into the pillow when I saw that it was only 6am. Much too early to think about getting out of a nice warm bed. I felt as though I'd only just got in under the duvet and now, the morning after Christmas I wasn't in the mood to get up that early.

My throat felt as though someone had run an abrasive sheet against the inner linings as I swallowed and winced. The air was chilly and my head was hurting. I couldn't budge. The mixture of turkey, carrots and potatoes with Christmas pudding and mince pies were playing havoc on my stomach and I felt a burning sensation in my chest which forced a burp and a gush of acidic saliva up the passageway of my throat. I coughed intermittently.

'Ohhhhhh....' I barely whispered, forcing myself to get up. With the determined look of someone on a mission to get up and get dressed, I found my slippers and quickly turned on the stand alone heater before heading towards the door and then to the bathroom.

'The joys of Christmas!' What could be better than a throbbing headache and a sore throat?

Only the sounds of Christmas songs coming from Boz's house.

Boz is a good neighbour. He never misses an opportunity to put up bright lights in the garden or ask how I am.

'Not this morning, Boz' I thought. I couldn't face another generous offering of mince pies or pudding or how good Christmas has been. How about if I just stayed in a hot bath of bubbling water all morning?

Now that was more like it.
 
 
 
 

© 2008 Colleber


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Thanks Rick. Your comment was much appreciated. I do a weekly blog on my blogger website and this is just the first week's prose write.

It is fiction taken from life hence the journal style write reference and hence the journal style direction ie. taken from observations and written as would a journal entry.

I'll certainly let you know when I post something new.



Posted 16 Years Ago


This was a very vivid piece, and your descriptions of how your character felt were incredible. It almost made my stomach churn :).

I think you did a good job of capturing the day after Christmas, when the so-called "spirit" has suddenly fled and you are left with nothing but the feeling of "it's over." I think that is what I liked the most about this piece. You have a talent of inspiring emotion.

I don't know much about your character... and you put in the title that it is a "journal type" work. Did you intend this to be about yourself? or is this part of a larger work? Just practice, for fun? The only thing I think it could use is a bit more purpose and direction... that is... if you intend on it being published somewhere :). I'd love to read something of yours that is a bit more plot driven.

Your writing is spectacular. I hope to see some more of you in the coming months! Let me know when you post something new.

Posted 16 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

114 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on February 26, 2008

Author

Colleber
Colleber

About
I enjoy writing and the arts. more..