And He Won't Back Down

And He Won't Back Down

A Poem by Christina May Shanaberg
"

Written for John Walsh!

"

AND HE WON'T BACK DOWN

 

Years ago, known as John Walsh;

A husband to Reve,

A father to Adam,

And a Florida hotel developer;

On July 27, 1981,  John's life

Changed, suddenly, forever;

Adam was gone;

Taken from a shopping mall;

Two weeks, later,

Adam was found dead;

Twenty-seven years, later,

The killer was found;

Ottis Toole had died in prison,

Before his crime could be proven;

Years ahead, known as John Walsh;

A husband to Reve,

A father to the late Adam,

A father to Meghan,

A father to Callahan,

A father to Hayden,

And host of "America's Most Wanted" T.V. Show;

1,151 fugitives brought to justice;

115 missing children returned home;

We know him as John Walsh

And he won't back down,

Until all are brought to justice

And all children return home.

 

 

John,

Reve,

And Adam,

 

Torn apart in a brief moment!

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

    

 

 

His smile lost to us forever,

But he has changed the world, through his father's love!

© 2011 Christina May Shanaberg


Author's Note

Christina May Shanaberg
John Walsh has given so much to the world, because of his undying love for his son, Adam!

In brief for those not aware of this American icon, after his son's death, John instituted a program still used across the country called "Code Adam" for shopping malls, stores, zoos, fairs, theatres, etc.; wherever children are in attendance. When a loudspeaker calls "Code Adam," all exits are locked and guarded by employees and, sometimes, police officers. No one leaves, period! Then, loudspeaker reports of details of the child are aired, so all may help in the search.

In April of 1988 he expanded on this with the FOX channel's program "America's Most Wanted," which was recently cancelled as of June 18, 2011. This was the second cancellation of the show; the first, only for a few months in 1994. It was returned to television after public and law enforcement outcry. Through this program, you see the statics above (as of May 16, 2011 and growing.) Over one fugitive per telecast was retrieved, with tips called in by the viewers. Only 50 of the children returned were the result of this program. The other 65 were returned after the original airing of a made for T.V. movie about Adam and a later remake. Walsh showed a list, with pictures, of missing children at the end of each of these movies, with amazing results.

Walsh has been honored, time and time again, by U.S. Presidents, federal and local law enforcement agencies, television awards, etc. Too numerous to mention here.

John and Reve established the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children (Telephone Number-(800) THE-LOST, upon which John continues to sit on the Board of Directors. If you have any possible information concerning a missing, found, or exploited child, please give them a call, immediately!

I could write, all day, about this wonderful man whom rose up from adversity and decided, "We are going to fight back!" Not the exact quote, sorry John, but close. A little poetic license.

Don't worry, John has been working on taking his "Most Wanted" program worldwide to include local crimes as well.

And, I can guarantee you, that he won't back down!

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

I admire John Walsh for turning a tragedy into something positive, and look at the impact he has made! That is amazing...
"1,151 fugitives brought to justice;
115 missing children returned home;"
To help the most vulnerable within our communities....our children. That is what you call a "Warrior" -a person who fights for issues that are important on behalf of those who cannot help themselves! These precious children and their families caught in tragic circumstances (A parents worst nightmare.)
Your tribute touched me....prayers for you my friend to heal.

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

What a wonderful tribute to John Walsh. He has taken a horrible tragedy of his own and brought hope to others. Thank You for sharing such a heartfelt, emotional poem.

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I learned something new from this poem. Nice way to describe a great man's life. Loved it. :)

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

John is a a tenacious man....to be saluted for his dedication. I never watched his show but admired the hell out of him for doing it and the results it brought!

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I learnt so much from this poem, and so thanks for writing such a poem, and yes he is a tremendous guy...

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

he is a brave man fighting to bring criminals to justice.

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

great tribute. I had never heard of this (being British). Moving story, well told. Thank you

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Such a lifting dedication... What could have completely crushed some, became hope for so many others.. to stop those devastating cycles of destruction... He is a man of honor wanting to do right for those who have become victims.. and to stop others from being hurt so deeply as he was. Powerful words.. powerful life.

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

This poem shows how strong is the will to survive undefeated, within a hostile environment. This is a marvellous tribute to a man you honour in poetry - a stand-alone poem.

Thank you for entering the Thursday Challenge #4

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

This is a wonderful tribute to John Walsh. Even though he lost his son he doesn't want any other parent to go through the loss of losing their child like he did. He is an amazing man and such an inspiration to all parents out there to never back down. And rest assure John Walsh will never back down.
♥ Ta'Shandra

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

A very tragic thing for John to experience and an important job to help. This is great, and sad, I love the just ending. Nice work.

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

587 Views
22 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on August 19, 2011
Last Updated on August 20, 2011
Tags: John Walsh, Adam Walsh, Missing Children, Fugitives, America's Most Wanted, Sex Offenders, Code Adam

Author

Christina May Shanaberg
Christina May Shanaberg

Mount Vernon, OH



About
I am a former member of North Shore Writers' Guild in Willoughby OH. I have had numerous poems published and letters. I am, currently, working on a screen play that I hope will interest my cousin-in.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..