his shivering life

his shivering life

A Poem by Philip Gaber

His Shivering Life  He thought back.  To an earlier time.  But the memory was fragmented.  In pieces.  Colliding with other memories.  Just out of reach.  Accessible to him only during rapid eye movement.  In a room.  No.  In the womb.  During a full moon.  In June.  Yes.  That was the memory.  In the womb.  He recalled.  Something.   Somebody.   Shouting.  Then hushed whispers.  Being yelled at.  Then whispered to.  How lonely.  Rapid breathing.  Heart beating.  Sweats.  Pan. Image 2 of 3

 

He thought back.  To an earlier time.  But the memory was fragmented.  In pieces.  Colliding with other memories.  Just out of reach.  Accessible to him only during rapid eye movement.  In a room.  No.  In the womb.  During a full moon.  In June.  Yes.  That was the memory.  In the womb.  He recalled.  Something.   Somebody.   Shouting.  Then hushed whispers.  Being yelled at.  Then whispered to.  How lonely.  Rapid breathing.  Heart beating.  Sweats.  Panic.  Gasp of breath.  Alone. Shouts and whispers.  Then silence.  The sound of a clock?  Or the beating of a heart?  A song?  Voices in discord?  No harmony.  No melody, either.  And very little rhythm.  But sounds nonetheless.  Guttural sounds.  Guzzling sounds.  Guy sounds.  Even though my birth certificate says Easter Sunday, it was Good Friday that day.  The rabbi had to drive in from Teaneck to perform the bris.  He had a bad back.  Garlic breath.  Eyes kept blinking because he’d just been fitted with contact lenses.  Said he didn’t think they were ground right.  Everyone said he looked like he was crying when he snipped off my foreskin.  I for damn sure was.  That much I remember.  Nerves for days down there.  And Rabbi Watery Eyes deadens the sensation for me forever.  The family celebrates.  Hard salami served on rye bread.  Chopped chicken liver. Herring.  Lox.  Bagels.  Bialys.  Chala.  Cream cheese.  Kosher dills. Manischewitz wine. Schnapps.  Hear all about it!  Secular Jew born on Good Friday (or Easter Sunday), take your pick; who wants to argue?

 

 

 

© 2024 Philip Gaber


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

IS THIS TRUE? OH, THE WRITING IS GOOD. EXCELLENT AS ALWAYS. !00/100. IS THIS TRUE?

Posted 1 Month Ago


Philip Gaber

1 Month Ago

Parts of it are true. But not to my life.

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

86 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on August 8, 2024
Last Updated on August 8, 2024

Author

Philip Gaber
Philip Gaber

Charlotte, NC



About
I hate writing biographies. I was one of those kids who rode a banana seat bike and watched Saturday morning cartoons and Soul Train. But my mother would never buy any of those sugary cereals for us k.. more..

Writing