among the everywoman

among the everywoman

A Poem by Philip Gaber

Prompt: It was another washed-out blue Monday.

I'd slept miserably.

That damn recurrent dream about being swathed in the snug-fitting clothing of my family's dark secrets.

Father, wall-eyed, dime cigar between his false teeth, alcohol blackouts, sleep walking.

Mother, blank-eyed, haunted by a past involving medication, always telling us “God will be there to take care of you.”

Sister, sad-eyed, always walking through doorways crying, drinking to act normal, addicted to childhood memories.

Brother, black-eyed, a little gutted, scratching and clawing, trying to do everything he can.

And me, glaze-eyed, itinerant, bohemian at sixteen, another mysterious hitchhiker on a deserted road.

Wiping the nightmare from my eyes, I got out of bed, lit a cigarette, fetched the newspaper.

The news was typical for a washed-out blue Monday.

Epic stories of suffering and endurance, repressed weaknesses, shortcomings, instincts, the structure of psychosis, ego and the self. Men and women struggling with the meaning and purpose of life, searching for their authentic selves in an inauthentic world. Editorials attempting to expose fascistic social repression. Columns exploring morality through a metaphysical framework. And a couple of uplifting quotes from the class valedictorian.

“To be here now, alive in the world as it is rather than as we imagine it to be”

"The truth about any choice that we make is that those choices will resonate throughout the rest of our lives."

Such startling depth and universal pathos.

My day could now begin.

  

Maybe I was just trying to figure you out and ravage your body the way time has ravaged it.

 

Or maybe I was just attempting to make conversation with your lips and

persuade you to reopen old festering wounds and share your closed heart with an open heart surgeon who would rather be operating on your brain,

because that’s where the real skill lies.

 

Or maybe I was alone without a candle in the dark and didn’t have the wherewithal to whistle while I cursed the wick and forgot to celebrate the flint as I watched my lady’s flinty heart dimming in that fingernail in the sky moon.

 

Or maybe I was neither in love nor in lust; I was just alone and nonplused and unwilling to put up much of a fuss when you opened your lovin’ vein with that blunt instrument called your brain and let it spill out all over my golden-black flame of hair and drip beneath my astigmatic stare.

 

Or maybe my mouth ejaculated when my tongue should have been on a leash and maybe I unleashed my id when my superego should have been

refereeing and when my ego was taking a selfie in front of my looking-glass self.

 

Or maybe the blame lies with the lie of a shy guy treading enigmatically  in front of the Sphinx and musing in front of his muses as Medusa washes the original serpent of sin from her reptile coif with an anti-venom made from the blood of Christ and displays her scarred neck for Perseus and celebrates her disembodiment from a netherworld that eschews phantasmagoria and prevents her from throwing stones at glass ceilings.

 

  

  


© 2024 Philip Gaber


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

46 Views
Added on August 2, 2024
Last Updated on August 2, 2024

Author

Philip Gaber
Philip Gaber

Charlotte, NC



About
I hate writing biographies. I was one of those kids who rode a banana seat bike and watched Saturday morning cartoons and Soul Train. But my mother would never buy any of those sugary cereals for us k.. more..

Writing