for some of us, we had to fight our way out of a hole To see some sort of daylight

for some of us, we had to fight our way out of a hole To see some sort of daylight

A Poem by Philip Gaber



I recall 1977.


I wore Buster Brown shoes and was expelled for throwing snowballs at a school bus.


I was called into the principal’s office so many times that year it appeared my a*s had made a permanent imprint on The Chair.


We called it The Chair for apparent reasons.


We insubordinates liked to fancy ourselves as inmates on death row.


One day, I got busted for smoking.


Mrs. Hooper caught me.


It doesn’t matter how I got caught.


Or what happened once I was called into the principal’s office.


The fact is, I did my penance and graduated from sixth grade with most of my balls still intact.


The following year, I was in junior high.


Sure, I was a loner.


But I was a loner with people skills.


I wasn’t what you’d call “goal-orientated” or a “go-getter,” but I knew how to “work a  room” and how to experience those “extremes of emotions.


I was thirteen.


Smoked a half-pack of Camel Lights a day and drank six cups of coffee-milk before lunch.


I was a true one-sixteenth of a badass.


My parents didn’t know whether to send me to private or military schools the following year.


So they compromised and sent me to a Catholic school.

© 2024 Philip Gaber


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

Philip,
Somehow along the way... you became a poet.
Vol

Posted 1 Month Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Philip Gaber

1 Month Ago

Thanks, Vol

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

54 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on July 26, 2024
Last Updated on July 26, 2024

Author

Philip Gaber
Philip Gaber

Charlotte, NC



About
I hate writing biographies. I was one of those kids who rode a banana seat bike and watched Saturday morning cartoons and Soul Train. But my mother would never buy any of those sugary cereals for us k.. more..

Writing