some residue of character

some residue of character

A Story by Philip Gaber

Anthony's standing outside the Employment Security Commission joblink smoking a cigar and drinking Aquafina. He's smiling this morning. Got a crick in his neck. "Musta slept wrong," he mutters. He's been unemployed for three months. He was laid off from his job as a "tool and dye guy." Just turned fifty. Just broke up with his girlfriend. "Just got paid by the Feds," he says with a crooked smile. "Uncle Sam's my Mister Charlie now…" He's unsure of his future, though, and says, "Some days I just don't give a s**t. Other days, I'm alright…" Today, he says, he's alright. "Just had me a damn cheese omelet from The Waffle House. Are those things good? Mmmh."


His eyes are cloudy, has several scars on his face, "from the chickenpox." He's dressed in camouflage pants, a green t-shirt, Timberland boots, a leather choker. 


He thinks it's going to rain today, although he admits to not having heard a weather report in about six months.


A middle-aged woman wearing a scarf over her head and carrying a JCPenney bag gets off the city bus and walks toward Anthony.


"Where you been, boy?" she says.


"Girl, you don't wanna know," Anthony says, shaking his head and taking another drag from the cigar. "How have you been?"


"Shooot," the woman says. "Day late and a dolla short…"


Anthony nods.


The woman pulls out a pack of Lucky strikes, tamps one out and puts it between her cracked lips.


Anthony lights the woman's cigarette.


"Wouldn't be so bad if somebody gimme a job," the woman says.


"Why you wanna job?" Anthony says ironically.


"I dunno," the woman says. "Keeps me outta trouble."


The two are quiet for a moment, enjoying their tobacco and their downtime.


Then Anthony says, "How's Andre?"


Andre is her only son. "Quit his job, moved out to Seattle," she says with a smirk.


"How come?"


The woman shrugs. "Be in a band, play in a band, doin' somethin' in a band… boy's almost thirty-five years old… what is it with you men?"


Anthony smiles.


"Well, lemme get in here and see if I can't find me a job…"


“What kinda job you lookin’ for?”


"Somethin’ that don’ wear me out," she says, putting her cigarette out in the ash tray. "These old bones ‘r’ tiired…"


"I heard that," Anthony says.


As the woman walks into the building, Anthony lights another cigar. He’s decided not to knock himself out today, as he watches the parking lot begin to fill up with Lexus’, Navigators, Escalades, Camrys, Accords…


He’s still smiling, though.


It’ll be alright, he thinks… It’ll all be alright.

 


© 2024 Philip Gaber


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

37 Views
Added on July 17, 2024
Last Updated on July 17, 2024

Author

Philip Gaber
Philip Gaber

Charlotte, NC



About
I hate writing biographies. I was one of those kids who rode a banana seat bike and watched Saturday morning cartoons and Soul Train. But my mother would never buy any of those sugary cereals for us k.. more..

Writing