different points of view

different points of view

A Poem by Philip Gaber




The Mexican men at the Laundromat are smiling at each other and cracking jokes.


There are a lot of references to someone or something being "estúpido loco."


The Laundromat owner, a heavy-set Asian man, leans against one of the folding tables and points a remote control device at a 13-inch black-and-white television set attached to a cheap ceiling mount.


After several minutes of watching a TV pastor dressed in combat fatigues calling people to Jesus Christ through the good news of the Gospel, he decides to change the channel and settle his tired eyes on "Showtime at the Apollo."


In his best English, a tiny Mexican man says to the owner, "Spanish channel?"


In his best English, the owner laughs and says, "You think I got cable?"


The Mexican man laughs like all the other men sitting near the TV.


So "Showtime at the Apollo" it is, even though nobody watches it.


They’re more interested in watching the spin cycle.


The ratings are through the roof.


If only network executives were there.


But network executives don’t do coin-op Laundromats.


They barely do coins.

 

© 2024 Philip Gaber


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

I know, right? Me too. Something is mollifying about the spin cycle.

Posted 2 Months Ago


When I am at the laundromat, I watch the clothes spin in the dryer and see more than I could ever had imagined...Now, when I see that, I am reminded of a scene in Across the Universe...when Jude sings Strawberry Fields...and at the end, we see the clothes spinning in the dryer. I would give the spin cycle a high user rating.
j.

Posted 2 Months Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

42 Views
2 Reviews
Added on July 10, 2024
Last Updated on July 10, 2024

Author

Philip Gaber
Philip Gaber

Charlotte, NC



About
I hate writing biographies. I was one of those kids who rode a banana seat bike and watched Saturday morning cartoons and Soul Train. But my mother would never buy any of those sugary cereals for us k.. more..

Writing