a quiet neurotic bedtime

a quiet neurotic bedtime

A Poem by Philip Gaber

 

Nana stood by the picture window, staring out into the thickening fog…

 

“The day I was born,” she said.  ”I’m sure I sighed in despair…I’m confident I did…”

 

I heard a door close behind me…It was my mother, lying in bed without an expression…

 

The wind started to pick up… So did the rain…

 

Nana said she was going out to visit Papa, who was buried in the backyard underneath the old oak tree.

 

“But it’s storming out,” I said.

 

 She shrugged, “It doesn’t matter.”

 

She picked up her bible and walked outside, without a raincoat or an umbrella…

 

I decided to join her…

 

As we stood under that oak tree (I noticed the caterpillars had just begun to feed on the newly emerging leaves), she read from the Book of Job… And when she got to the part where God let Job know He was only testing him and that he was going to reward Job with twice the wealth and more children, Nana just shook her head and said, “I can’t figure out why this ending pisses me off so much!”

 

We went back inside.

 

In the corner of the living room, she lit some birthday candles… “I don’t have any yortsayt candles…”

 

I bowed my head.

 

She recited a blessing in Hebrew… then a proverb in English… “The spirit of man is the candle of the Lord.”

 

Meanwhile, my mother awoke from a nightmare, came into the living room, rubbing her eyes…

 

She looked at Nana, yawned, belched, lit a Pall Mall, and said, “Mom, that was a great speech…”

 

That’s when the power went out…

 

We stood by the light of those birthday candles in dead silence, sizing up the dark and shying away from pushing ourselves to the limit…

 

© 2024 Philip Gaber


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Hmm? I was just wondering: I heard a door close behind me…It was my mother, lying in bed without an expression… I don't get this part? If she's lying in bed, how did the door close?

Also: “Mom, that was a great speech…” Mom was talking to herself? What speech?

Posted 3 Months Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

Hmm? I was just wondering: I heard a door close behind me…It was my mother, lying in bed without an expression… I don't get this part? If she's lying in bed, how did the door close?

Also: “Mom, that was a great speech…” Mom was talking to herself? What speech?

Posted 3 Months Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

50 Views
1 Review
Added on June 4, 2024
Last Updated on June 4, 2024

Author

Philip Gaber
Philip Gaber

Charlotte, NC



About
I hate writing biographies. I was one of those kids who rode a banana seat bike and watched Saturday morning cartoons and Soul Train. But my mother would never buy any of those sugary cereals for us k.. more..

Writing