battered by the elements

battered by the elements

A Poem by Philip Gaber


She handed me a scotch glass and asked if I wanted a little water in it.

“No,” I said.

She lifted the short hairs above her eyes and was about to say something but censored herself.

I took a sip of the scotch. It tasted better than I’d remembered. And I didn’t even wince when I swallowed. 

“Where does all this sadness come from?” she said.

I shook my head and took another sip. “Got a lot of memories,” I said.

She refilled my drink. “You know, it’s all about fresh thinking,” she said. “Something better. . .” She paused slightly and tightened the grip on the tumbler in her hand. “I was in psychotherapy for a year and a half when I was a teenager…and my psychotherapist would always ask me this question whenever I lost my focus. . .which was often. . .How do you get back to the fundamentals of life? I never knew how to answer that question. I was sixteen years old. I’d been rearranging the deck chairs until then; what the hell did I know about the Fundamentals of Life?” She sighed. “Then, one day, I finally got the balls to tell him I don’t know how to answer that question. I don’t have a f*****g clue what you’re even talking about!. S.O.B. just shrugged and said, ‘Oh well, then’…Like, hey, no big wup… Guy’s making ninety thou a year, ‘oh well, then.’ No insight, no feedback, no diagnosis…So then my parents sent me to private school after I told them I was having sex. . .”

“Why’d you tell them that?”

“They asked,” she said.

I was really beginning to like the woman. She seemed just as confused and conflicted as me. I motioned for a refill.

“Ohh, a professional drinker,” she said, pouring me another.

“Professionals earn money,” I said. “Drinkers are perpetual amateurs.”

She smirked. “So why are you still single?”

I remained unflappable. “Oh well, then,” I said.

She liked that. “You’re cute,” she said.

Our heads loomed closer and closer until our lips made a cautious link-up. It hadn’t much passion, but it was still a good kiss. Besides, I hadn’t been kissed like that in years, so any kiss would have been good at that time.

When it was done, we closed our eyes and retightened our lips.

I recalled a passage from a book I’d recently read:

“…it is axiomatic with him that one is insulted
and humiliated at every turn. He is used to
physical suffering and the degradation of the
body. . The background of these characters is
empty. . .are of unexplained social status. . .
often courteous mannerly, especially to ladies. . .”

She sighed, “Don’t feel sorry for me, even though I’m not in love. It’s my problem…”

That’s when we fell asleep.

© 2024 Philip Gaber


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

67 Views
Added on June 3, 2024
Last Updated on June 3, 2024

Author

Philip Gaber
Philip Gaber

Charlotte, NC



About
I hate writing biographies. I was one of those kids who rode a banana seat bike and watched Saturday morning cartoons and Soul Train. But my mother would never buy any of those sugary cereals for us k.. more..

Writing