pawning her dignity

pawning her dignity

A Poem by Philip Gaber


She lived in an attic apartment above a dry cleaner in the red light district of a city whose inhabitants walked around muttering to themselves and pulling punches whenever they weren’t busy getting tired of waiting around for absolutely nothing.


One day, while feeling somewhat virtuous after dropping a quarter into a blind man’s cup on the anniversary of St. Peter’s imprisonment and deliverance, she suddenly recalled a proverb she’d learned in catechism years ago:


“If you see a blind man, kick him.  Why should you be kinder than God?”


She remembered the sister explaining it something like this: “In other words, if somebody suffers, God must have had a good reason for making them suffer.”


“But what kind of God would do a thing like that?” she asked the sister.


The sister gave her a stern look.  “Child, you are in no position to question God’s will.  You can go to hell for asking questions like that.  You must learn how to be so comforted.  Are you comforted by Jesus?  Do you go to church and say I’m not very bright, but I do believe that you are the son of God.  I do believe You died for me, Lord.’  Do you do that?”


“Whoops,” she said.  “You got me there, sister,” and the following week, she became a Buddhist.

© 2024 Philip Gaber


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

"You can go to hell for asking questions like that." One of the reasons why institutional religion has lost so much influence. That and the buggers.

Posted 3 Months Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Philip Gaber

3 Months Ago

Who are the buggers, John? Thanks for your time, bro
John the Baptist

3 Months Ago

Priests who sexually abuse altar boys. "Buggery" was the old term for such behavior.
Philip Gaber

3 Months Ago

That's what I thought you meant

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

75 Views
1 Review
Added on May 27, 2024
Last Updated on May 27, 2024

Author

Philip Gaber
Philip Gaber

Charlotte, NC



About
I hate writing biographies. I was one of those kids who rode a banana seat bike and watched Saturday morning cartoons and Soul Train. But my mother would never buy any of those sugary cereals for us k.. more..

Writing