my bohemian life in brooklyn

my bohemian life in brooklyn

A Poem by Philip Gaber



Penniless theater major chain-smokes cigarillos and extinguishes them in a can of Red Bull, tightens her arms around her torso, making sure too much of her psychological motives doesn’t escape.

Always on some collision course, something always getting in her way; laziness, booze, drugs, it’s all written somewhere in her DNA, nurture, nature, who the hell can wrap their mind around any of that s**t, anyway?


"I swear," she says, choking up, leaving the thought unfinished.


"Please," I say, sucking on an unlit cigarette. "Don’t compare yourself to Amy Winehouse tonight. Let’s just celebrate your sublime inner torment by remaining tight-lipped and stoic, shall we?"


Her shoulders remain drooped with the collective weight of The Actors Studio. "There are so many subtle allusions to a lot of different things going on here," she says.


As I struggle to replicate my square-jawed ruggedness, she remains aloof, almost unreadable, turns on the TV, and settles into watching some banal chick-flick that fails to produce any innovative ideas and is laughably formulaic.


There will be no more breathtaking responses to my cliché questions because she’s had enough of my direction for tonight.



© 2024 Philip Gaber


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

Great opening. And next, most people would say: “gee, I’d like to know more.” As in what happens next….i say I want to know more, ala Henry Miller….fatten this Kracken up.

Posted 3 Months Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

45 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on May 26, 2024
Last Updated on May 26, 2024

Author

Philip Gaber
Philip Gaber

Charlotte, NC



About
I hate writing biographies. I was one of those kids who rode a banana seat bike and watched Saturday morning cartoons and Soul Train. But my mother would never buy any of those sugary cereals for us k.. more..

Writing