wait like kafka

wait like kafka

A Story by Philip Gaber

I go to the movies on an empty stomach and on the way back, stop off at Dunkin Donuts, inhale a half dozen doughnuts, then pull into a dingy little bar called Dipso’s Delight, order a 7 & 7, munch on stale peanuts, watch the Friday night fights, get into a philosophical discussion with a guy named Ned who admits to not knowing what the hell he’s talking about half the time.
I go to the movies on an empty stomach and on the way back, stop off at Dunkin Donuts, inhale a half dozen doughnuts, then pull into a dingy little bar called Dipso’s Delight, order a 7 & 7, munch on stale peanuts, watch the Friday night fights, get into a philosophical discussion with a guy named Ned who admits to not knowing what the hell he’s talking about half the time.

"It’s like wandering around in some kinda daze," he says. "A fog, a mild nightmare, the kind that gets your heart racin’, raises your blood pressure 20, 30 points. That’s what my life has become… and they wonder why I stay the hell away from people…"

Ned is a city employee, who works in the information booth for the transit system, dispensing bus passes and educating the public at large on matters of public transportation. He’s divorced, has two kids he sees every other weekend, and has a weakness for unfiltered cigarettes and chili cheese dogs. He wants to know if I have a girl.

"She thinks I’m a glass half-empty guy and this disturbs her," I say.

Ned smiles, shakes his head, lights another butt. "Like their moods are some kinda picnic," he says. "I been away from the triangle for quite some time now, and I’m not gonna lie to ya, I do occasionally get a little nostalgic for it. But I’m getting to the age where I just don’t wanna hafta work for it like I usta. My days of hoop-jumping are over. Can’t hang with ‘em like I usta. And I’m damn sure too tired to fake it."

He laughs, scratches his beard, takes a toothpick from a shot glass on the bar, and begins picking his teeth. "My advice to you," he says. "is tell’er she needs to take the good with the bad. If she can’t do that, she needs to become a nun, a lesbian or celibate. Tell’er that. She knows which side her bread’s buttered on…"

I finish my drink; thank him for the conversation, and drive home, taking all the side roads.

When I get back to the apartment, my girl is lounging on the couch under a blanket sipping from a water glass filled to the brim with white zinfandel, watching some movie on HBO starring Pamela Anderson.

"Have fun?" she says with an edge.

"Look," I say. "You’re just going to have to take the good with the bad. If you can’t do that, you’re going to have to become a nun, a lesbian, or celibate. You know which side your bread’s buttered on…"

"You make a better door than a window," she says, then tells me I’m obstructing her view of the television.

I go to the bedroom, slam the door, sit down at the typewriter, type:

Nobody can make me feel guilty… guilt is a man-made emotion… it does not even exist!

There’s a knock at the door.

"You alright?" she says.

"I’m busy! In the throes of creativity!"

She apologizes, and her footsteps fade away.

I type:

I used to be afraid of being pussywhipped when I was a younger man… now I’m just afraid of being alone…

I turn out the lights, fall asleep, dream the colors of newsprint, and wait like Kafka.

© 2024 Philip Gaber


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

You should give Diogenes old Ned’s number… a contemporary honest man. Great characterization with Ned. And the last line, killer, just killer.

Posted 4 Months Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

70 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on May 20, 2024
Last Updated on May 20, 2024

Author

Philip Gaber
Philip Gaber

Charlotte, NC



About
I hate writing biographies. I was one of those kids who rode a banana seat bike and watched Saturday morning cartoons and Soul Train. But my mother would never buy any of those sugary cereals for us k.. more..

Writing