the hardest victory

the hardest victory

A Story by Philip Gaber

The aged actor accepted his lifetime achievement award.

"When you use that word ‘Legendary’," he said. "It usually refers to somebody who is very old or very deceased…"

It got a decent-sized laugh.

About the size of a 10 ½ double D pair of loafers.

Then, leaning against the podium, and obviously drunk, he pointed a finger into the camera and said, "Lissen, I gotta few things I’d like to get off my chest… This is such a smarmy business we’re in…I mean, let’s face it, we lie to you every chance we get… This entire business is a canard… and what is so utterly inconceivable to me is that you continue to believe our lies…You’re smarter than that…Is it that our lies are so much more damn interesting than the lies you tell yourselves?…Why the hell should you even care about us?… We don’t care about you…What the hell have we ever done that’s so goddamn terrific?… Nothing! Nothing!"

Suddenly his mike went dead.

However, the camera stayed on him.

And if you knew how to read lips, you would have seen them say, "I’m a goddamn drunk, but you know what? I’m not ashamed… I’m tired of people being ashamed of drinking!… Christ, drinking enhances my pride, my dignity, my integrity! I feel like god almighty Himself when I’m drinking!"

That’s when somebody in the control room screamed for somebody else to cut to the nebbish host of the ceremony, who had a look of perverse fascination. "Wow, talk about your feet of clay," the host quipped.

Then everything went black and quiet and suddenly the local news anchor appeared. "A new study by researchers reveals that people who drive luxury vehicles tend to be exceedingly good-looking. Details at eleven…"

© 2024 Philip Gaber


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Moral of the story, never drink and give award speeches in double wide patent leather…. Oh and at 11, I’ll be watching Elvira, Mistress of the dark. You’re battin’ a thousand today Philip, thanks for sharing, enjoyed.

Posted 4 Months Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

75 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on May 19, 2024
Last Updated on May 19, 2024

Author

Philip Gaber
Philip Gaber

Charlotte, NC



About
I hate writing biographies. I was one of those kids who rode a banana seat bike and watched Saturday morning cartoons and Soul Train. But my mother would never buy any of those sugary cereals for us k.. more..

Writing