Do You Love?

Do You Love?

A Story by Alex

"Do you believe in God?" the sing-song voice asked.
"No," she replied in a whisper, hands trembling as she picked up the hard metal off the nightstand.
"Why not?"
"I just don't."
"What do you believe in then?" the voice cooed.
She thought long and hard about this as she lightly tossed the gun from one hand to the other.
"I..I believe in love," she finally concluded.
"Love?!?" the voice laughed. "Love of all things! How ridiculous. What has love ever gotten you? Heartache. What has it ever done? Let you down."
"I don't want this. I don't.." she stuttered, opening the barrel and slipping in a single bullet.
"Why love? Why, of all things conceived, do you believe in love?" it demanded.
"I just," a single tear fell, "do."
"You know, some say God is love," it mocked.
"I guess I believe in God, if that's true. But I don‘t think it is," she said, her voice hollow and flat.
"It doesn't really matter if you believe in him or not. There's nothing that can help you. Only love will save you now."
"Please don't make me do this," she begged and pleaded with the voice.
"I will always love you. I always have," it echoed throughout her head.
"Now that," she said to the cold empty room, "is the one thing I don't believe."

And then she pulled the trigger.

© 2009 Alex


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

The story was chilling. It was extremely well written. The simplicity of the dialogue gave it an atmosphere that would be a lot harder to achieve if it was wordy. Fantastic work!

Posted 15 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

118 Views
1 Review
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on May 6, 2009

Author

Alex
Alex

Silverhill, AL



About
I'm Alex. I like to write. I write about however I'm feeling at the moment. There's a reason and a story behind everything written here. Ask me about it. I'd love to talk to you. I'd love to know you... more..

Writing
All I Ask All I Ask

A Poem by Alex


Wake Up Wake Up

A Poem by Alex