The Storm

The Storm

A Poem by Alex

 

 

 

Give me one reason to stay here, I’ll give you two why I should go.
We’ll call it even, for heavens sake. And who in the Hell has to know?
I’ll leave this town in a hand basket. You can carry me if you like.
With all this thunder swirling around, sooner or later the lightning will strike.

Compromise is nothing new to us. We do the best with what we’ve been given.
It’s not that I’m afraid of dying, It’s just that I’m afraid of never really living.
The basket-weaver intricately weaves his loom to the left and to the right
But it’s only a matter of time before his name comes up and they kill him in the night

Careful careful dear boy, take it slow. You better let your heart fully recover.
There’s nothing to be done with rusted sutures except more pain for you to discover.
Did she patch your heart up real good? Did she try to conceal your scars?
The night you left her all alone saw only a black blanket of weeping stars.

He knew every one of my secrets, my weaknesses, my flaws.
He knew how to make me laugh and cry, he knew me all.
Stupid boy you accidentally let her fly too far from your grasp.
The only thing you had to do was take the effort to look beneath the mask.

Did you know that lightning will never hit the same spot of ground twice?
Though my heart has been battered and beaten, it has never been as cold as ice.
The thunder keeps on rolling; The rain drowns everything in its way.
Was it too much to ask that maybe this time you could just stay?

I thought the lightning would strike me fast and hard, reviving this weary heart
But the thunder just rolled on in the distance while I slowly fell apart.
The rain fell heavy on my covered face, washing away everything but my despair
Underneath the beams of the moon I felt sadness stir in the cool night air

You’ll be waiting forever if you wait for the perfect girl to come along
Whoever told you love was hard, believe me they’re dead wrong.
You are not a blind man, you’ve just grown attached to that dark blind fold
Being scared to take a chance does not give you an excuse to be so cold

In only a few more days from now I’ll be gone far away from here.
I’ve got to find a way to heal the scars he left me with over these years.
My heart keeps on bleeding love but I’m afraid my veins have run dry
There’s nothing left inside my body, there are no tears left for me to cry

Let the storm run its course. That is the only thing we can do.
And we’ll helplessly watch the elements create a distance between me and you.
Compromise is nothing new to us. We do the best with what we’ve been given.
It’s not that we’re afraid of dying. Kids like us are just afraid of never really living.

© 2009 Alex


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

I love this. Really.
Have you ever listened to The Mountain Goats?
If not, you should, cause this reminds me of their lyrics.

Anyway, amazing.

Posted 15 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

118 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on January 19, 2009
Last Updated on January 19, 2009

Author

Alex
Alex

Silverhill, AL



About
I'm Alex. I like to write. I write about however I'm feeling at the moment. There's a reason and a story behind everything written here. Ask me about it. I'd love to talk to you. I'd love to know you... more..

Writing
All I Ask All I Ask

A Poem by Alex


Wake Up Wake Up

A Poem by Alex