Until We Meet Again

Until We Meet Again

A Story by Alex

     Hand in hand, Death and Immortality walked together through the now silent Valley. They walked for what seemed like decades, then reluctantly began to slow their pace. Although neither spoke a single word, both knew their journey was drawing to a close. The wide path became narrower with each step; the trees were drooping and the sky was darkening. And though it was still out of sight, up ahead, the Valley came to an abrupt end.
“This part is always the hardest,” Immortality said.
“I know. It is for me too. But we both knew it was coming. It is inevitable.”
     Immortality nodded. Each step they had taken together brought them closer to the end, and closer to their separation. Even now, the Bird, once always in sight, was nowhere to be seen. And when her sweet sad songs could no longer be heard, the edge was never far away.
Leaving what sliver of a path that was left, both gently stepped out onto the elevated shore. Below the cliff, a dark sea of nothingness raged on as if being beaten by an invisible typhoon. Immortality and Death looked out for a moment, surveying the torrent of waves. Death’s hand squeezed tightly.
“Look up my friend, my love,” Immortality said. “See my Mountain? Isn’t it magnificent?”

“Indeed it is,” Death replied, head toward the sky.
“When eternity ends, you will come there with me and all of Life’s children. And we can be together for all time.”
“Yes, I will. I promise.”
     They pulled each other near, knowing it was a promise which would never be fulfilled, for when is the end of eternity? They breathed one another in one final time before parting, and then Death moved slightly forward, teetering on the precipice, but still holding on. They locked eyes, then Death swiftly let go, plummeting into the dark sea and disappearing beneath the angry waves.
Immortality, now completely alone, sat down on the edge of the cliff and gazed into the calm ocean. All around was still. Time ceased, and during this everlasting second, Immortality waited. And waited. And waited. Suddenly a loud deafening splash disrupted the silent serenity. A trembling hand thrust upward and broke the surface of the dark abyss. Standing quickly and reaching down, Immortality grasped the hand tightly and pulled the soul into the light. Together, they ascended to the Mountain, where a long anticipated welcome was waiting.
     On Earth, Life birthed another living soul. And once again, Death and Immortality linked hands and started on their journey, keeping their eyes to the sky, savoring the sight and sound of the Bird beckoning them onward.

© 2008 Alex


Author's Note

Alex
Open for interpretation. Let me know what you think. =)

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Pleasnt read.

Posted 15 Years Ago


Really great read. :)
I love the way you show the connection that Immortality and Death have, and the way that, whenever Death surrenders to the waves, a new soul is birthed.

Is this the little story you told me you wrote today? It's really good. :D
Keep up the good work!

Posted 16 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

106 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on August 25, 2008
Last Updated on August 30, 2008

Author

Alex
Alex

Silverhill, AL



About
I'm Alex. I like to write. I write about however I'm feeling at the moment. There's a reason and a story behind everything written here. Ask me about it. I'd love to talk to you. I'd love to know you... more..

Writing
All I Ask All I Ask

A Poem by Alex


Wake Up Wake Up

A Poem by Alex



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Chapter 1 Chapter 1

A Chapter by gravitylava


Memphis Memphis

A Poem by Alex