Shadows of Night

Shadows of Night

A Poem by Cherrie Palmer

Shadows in flight
cling to the trees.
These oncoming shapes
are shrouded in the breeze.


The height of each pine
is confined from view.
As a plume like mist
curdles my mood.

Casting the land
in an bygone trance.
time stands still
fearing what's next.


Silent wings
take to flight
and the growl
of his 'call'


-Tells me-

he's now perched
just out of sight.


Frozen feet long to run
as an inward voice
tells me to be one.
One with boulder
feathered in mist.

One with my surrounding
and I do that right quick.

Then pray for sunshine
and hold my breath.

© 2022 Cherrie Palmer


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

Wow, this is so good, intrigued, could be a owl like Chris said.
Amazing write

Posted 2 Years Ago


Cherrie Palmer

2 Years Ago

Thank you the review. :) I am so sorry for the late reply.
There is an air of mystery here in the shadows of the pines and I am left wondering what bird is perched there attracting attention. Maybe it is an owl, I am so fond if them even though I find them eerie. You have set a mood here Cherrie with this piece and I like what I have read.

Chris

Posted 2 Years Ago


Cherrie Palmer

2 Years Ago

I missed your review also.
Thank you Chris
Was having a bit of spooky fun.
I am going to describe this poem as easy. Easy to read. Felt good with rhyme. The structure added to the story as it unfolded and the mystery of what was about to happen left me wanting more. As usual when I read your poems lately. You write mystery poetry and it's refreshing in its ease. Using the mist as camouflage won't help if the unknown can smell your fear mixed with the sharp pine in the air carried on the shape of a breeze. What are you doing out in the woods in the first place!!??

Posted 2 Years Ago


This comment has been deleted by the poster.
Cherrie Palmer

2 Years Ago

I live in the woods and love writing about the fog.
I haven't had any free time lately to wri.. read more
"The height of each pine
is confined from view.
As a plume like mist
curdles my mood." --- Love this !!!
I like how the words play with the idea of rhyme, but they don't.

Posted 2 Years Ago


Cherrie Palmer

2 Years Ago

Actually you sparked this poem. The notion started with something I saw and was going to write abo.. read more
JE Falcon

2 Years Ago

Ah, inspiration, it's likely to come from the oddest places. :)
I like the "mood" of your poem. Playing around with some words I get something like this as an initial stanza: Shadows in flight/flick through the trees/shape-shifting beasts/chased by the breeze. :-)

Posted 2 Years Ago


Cherrie Palmer

2 Years Ago

Now that I like matches the mood
PS: another alliteration you might have used for moving shadows is “shadows in flight flit through the trees.”

To my thinking that would be more consistent with the action of fleeing.

Posted 2 Years Ago


W. Barrett Munn

2 Years Ago

I see you live on White River. I've fished for trout near Eureka Springs, in fact, my brother and I.. read more
Cherrie Palmer

2 Years Ago

We love the White River and live a mile from Bull Shoals Lake.
We're on the NE tip of .. read more
Cherrie Palmer

2 Years Ago

My Husband and I are from Tulsa lived there 20 years
I don’t know what kind of feedback you want but myself I like constructive criticism that helps me improve, so that is what I try to pass along. Think about this: if shadows are fleeing, would they cling or instead maybe they leap through limbs ?

Posted 2 Years Ago


Cherrie Palmer

2 Years Ago

I always enjoy the insights of another writer. :)
On how they perceive my poem and its flow.
Using rhyme so it doesn’t seem forced is difficult but for the most part you handled it well. But there are other ways to make words musical and rhythmic without relying on end rhyme. That all said, I liked your poem. I read some others of yours and I would say in general poetry is not the description of a thing or event but the feelings and atmosphere that surrounds such things and events. In other words, you can describe the old door in the barn without naming it as “door”. Naming it is what newscasters do.

PS: whose is the the possessive form and in another poem you left it as who’s, which I think was an oversight.

Posted 2 Years Ago


Cherrie Palmer

2 Years Ago

I so appreciate your review and insights.
I do try and mix up my topics. Airing out emoti.. read more
This was a great read. Gargoyles in the trees perhaps? We have great horned owls but I never see them. Only hear their hoots from October to early February. They are so secretive. We have red-tailed hawks too. They are much bolder and I see them every few days. The owls will actually kill the hawks (especially young ones) if they catch them out at dusk. One year grackles came to roost and threw a block party in the nearby woods. I like to go for walks there. The grackles are very noisy but this day they were in a riot. As I walked by the edge of the woods a hawk flew out clutching a dead grackle in his talons. Four or five grackles were in pursuit but the hawk dropped low and then soared with his/her prey to a distant tree. The grackles have never returned. I'm actually grateful since they were so vehement in their cacophony. Well, whatever is waiting in your woods, I'm certain it's of no threat to humans if it's flying, unless it's a manmade drone.

Posted 2 Years Ago


Cherrie Palmer

2 Years Ago

Ya know I've never written a gargoyle story. I may need to flesh that out.
Fabian G. Franklin

2 Years Ago

The growl of an owl. There's bound to be a rhyming poem in that. ;) Their vocalizations are so myria.. read more
Cherrie Palmer

2 Years Ago

It started out as a nature/ owl story then I gave it a rewrite for more of campfire mystery.
Very beautiful and expertly crafted! ~Sharon

Posted 2 Years Ago



First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

142 Views
12 Reviews
Added on February 22, 2022
Last Updated on February 22, 2022

Author

Cherrie Palmer
Cherrie Palmer

Springfield , MO



About
I am a published poet and love poetry. After a lifetime of country living, I'm making a move back to town. I find my surroundings a great inspiration to me. I also have two books on Amazon Kindle: .. more..

Writing