Shadow of the Valley

Shadow of the Valley

A Poem by Cherrie Palmer

Tired of walking I stopped to rest.
My companion stopping with me.
No one really looks at you, said I. 
You have a strange allure that lingers. 
A peace and calm to be had. 
My silent companion smiled as we sat 
In the shadow of the valley. 
From where I traveled those that remained wept. 
Cursing he that led the way
But in time they too shall join me. 
Traveling with the Angel of Death.

© 2022 Cherrie Palmer


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

Wow dear Cherrie! this is really amazing! the expression, the scenes, the feelings... the serenity, the calmness, the surrendering... You painted Death as it should be, not with fear but with awe peace.

Posted 2 Years Ago


Cherrie Palmer

2 Years Ago

I responded to this when you first reviewed. I'm so glad I noticed my response wasn't there. Becau.. read more
lightsong

2 Years Ago

These things happen in the site don't worry dear Cherrie :> You are warmly welcome ❤️
I like the Ojibwa wisdom. Death is resting and waiting on our left shoulder dear Cherrie.
"But in time they too shall join me.
Traveling with the Angel of Death."
The above lines are true my friend. Thank you for sharing the amazing poetry.
Coyote

Posted 2 Years Ago


Cherrie Palmer

2 Years Ago

:) thank you good to see you this morning hope your day goes well.
Coyote Poetry

2 Years Ago

Was my pleasure dear Cherrie and you are welcome.
This send chills down my spine in a good way.

Posted 2 Years Ago


Cherrie Palmer

2 Years Ago

:) Thank you 😊
impossible to fall asleep on this journey. your words always reach out and grab but wow - so poignant and sobering. you surely put the "p" in poet ... :)

Posted 2 Years Ago


Pete

2 Years Ago

wow. it sure did. i've actually been reading psalm 23 lately. thanks for setting the table ... :)
Cherrie Palmer

2 Years Ago

Nack when it was written, The valley was a real place where robbers hid in wait for passengers.
Pete

2 Years Ago

ouch. remind me to steer clear of that trough ... :)
Such an ending and such a poem leading me slowly to it. Excellent, intelligent and atmospheric.

Posted 2 Years Ago


Cherrie Palmer

2 Years Ago

Thank you 😊
Well, that last line slapped me in the face like a wet bag of reality. But I'm thinking you planned it that way. :) This was a good poem with a great ending that I knew was coming, but I still didn't see it until it had hold of me. LOL --- Thanks!

Posted 2 Years Ago


Cherrie Palmer

2 Years Ago

I'm glad it read that way. :) thank you for reading it.
This hit me hard. Our companion from birth, death. Walking with him as our own die intersecting with him on those paths until he meets us at the end of our walk. This was a powerful poem Cherrie.

Posted 2 Years Ago


Cherrie Palmer

2 Years Ago

Thank you Bill. The image hit me of Death walking with us and it just wrote itself.
William Michael Reeves

2 Years Ago

Timely. Powerful! Hurts.
[send message][befriend] Subscribe
Gee
You paint a peaceful picture of passing away Cherrie, this going against what so many feel, fear.
I think I dread not the passing away but more so what I'll miss once gone.
Nicely written...I like poems about death, strangely, and like Fabian I enjoy reading Emily D.
Hope you are well.

Posted 2 Years Ago


Cherrie Palmer

2 Years Ago

Thank you 😊 and I do too( like poems about death). I think there is only two camps when it comes.. read more
Gee

2 Years Ago

Nowt wrong with a simple mind Cherrie, though I doubt you possess one :)
In the third line from the end you have the word "lead" where possibly "led" or "leads" might have been intended. Reminded me of The Belle's, "I could not stop for death." That's one of Dickinson's more often recited works. I love so many of her poems. I have a book with many of her lesser known works included. Another popular poem of hers about death is "I heard a fly buzz-when I died". It's difficult to treat mortality so gingerly or human fragility so carefully. I enjoyed the read.

Posted 2 Years Ago


Cherrie Palmer

2 Years Ago

Thank you I haven't re-read it yet. I changed it once but I guess it didn't take.
Emily i.. read more
All will one day travel with him. But I once cursed him for taking someone dear and leaving me.
Now, I live to honor her memory. Well written.

Posted 2 Years Ago


Cherrie Palmer

2 Years Ago

Yes I understand that completely. As a girl my dad died and I've spent my life living up to his me.. read more

First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

193 Views
13 Reviews
Rating
Added on January 28, 2022
Last Updated on March 20, 2022

Author

Cherrie Palmer
Cherrie Palmer

Springfield , MO



About
I am a published poet and love poetry. After a lifetime of country living, I'm making a move back to town. I find my surroundings a great inspiration to me. I also have two books on Amazon Kindle: .. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..