The Landing Key

The Landing Key

A Chapter by Cherrie Palmer

-- The Landing Key--

 



--Sara Michaels--



The list of facts Thad made me is in my hand, but the loop of events that keep playing in my mind is that anodic kiss from Billings Airport. I do not believe in love at first sight, but I cannot deny how I feel. The hope of learning all there is to know about him sits beside this contented aura of forever.

 



--Thad Powers--



I know I should have told Sara I, well, we, my two brothers and I severed in the 75th and that most of our clients are wounded service personnel. That, 'Back in the Saddle,' was born out of our own need when Travis lost his foot in Iraq. I worry about telling her too much too soon. That Cindy left me because back then, ready to travel was my motto, and I was always deployed somewhere. It's strange, but her memory has become an old forgotten postcard that I run across from time to time. The telegram returns to my thoughts. Who sent it expands my imagination? Vince is my first choice, but why keeps me awake. The smell of Sara's perfume reminds me what I really want is to hide away somewhere warm and cozy with her in my arms.

 

--The Arrival--



The flight attendant announces to everyone to prepare for landing. The cabin lights are dimmed as the pilot lines up in the key, Seats are returned to the upright position, window blinds are lifted, and the streets of Paris are filled with activity. Those bustling pedestrians down below seem unaware of Delta-Air flight 82's arrival to CDG. Thad leans across Sara to look at the city and covers her hand with his own in the process.



"Never thought I'd come here for a visit."



"Yes, that makes two of us. I was a little afraid of making this trip. Even though I knew I would. It means a lot to me that you are here, your moral support is priceless."



Thad smiled at her choice of words, but offered no clue to her just how much his skillset brings to the table. 



"While we have a moment, can you tell me what happened on that first encounter at the crosswalk?"



"Yes, I should have explained it before. It was your shirt."



"My shirt?"



"It caught me off-guard. I have that exact shirt at home neatly bundled in a Christmas box. It was the last thing I bought Vince. For some reason, I still have it on his side of the closet. After he left, that following Valentine's, I emptied a sweet bottle of Dolce, filled up two big boxes with everything of his I could find, then took it to the shelter," Sara said. "Boy did that feel good," she added, "but I kept his ring and the Christmas shirt. He hurt me, leaving me as he did. This trip is not about us or even about who we once were, but of letting go, finding answers, and maybe, giving my heart closure."



"Well, I hope that's what happens."



"But you don't think that's what I'll find, is it?"



"I think the closure you need won't come from this trip. A determined mind can do anything. I also think from this point on; it's going to be baneful."



The cabin lights returned to normal. The flight attendant activated the exit sign, and just that quickly, the plane came alive with sonority as passengers embark to destinations unknown.




© 2021 Cherrie Palmer


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

Good information was shared in the chapter dear Cherrie. Lost of family and a soldier. Good information to understand and grasp. In the military. Divorce rate. 10 time higher tan civil life. A amazing chapter shared dear friend.
Coyote

Posted 3 Years Ago


The telegram is a puzzler, but where would we be without mystery? Very short stories and two piece jigsaw puzzles, that's where! 😊
Now the trail can truly begin now they've landed and put some of their clues to use in following the trail.
I like that we're hearing their thoughts before they discuss things like Thads business and his colleagues, as well as their thoughts on each other. Keeps us turning the erm... pages? 😉

Posted 3 Years Ago


Cherrie Palmer

3 Years Ago

I thought the internal dialogue to open each chapter works really well (and is fun). I hope to get.. read more
nice ... i'm wide awake and excited to read on ... again .. really like how you use the airplane .. another smooth chapter says i ... i will continue later ;)
E.

Posted 3 Years Ago


0 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Einstein Noodle

3 Years Ago

yes ...but i know that ... this is your rough edition .. i am skipping any edit comments .. you are .. read more
Cherrie Palmer

3 Years Ago

If only I will, lol, maybe, tomorrow.
Einstein Noodle

3 Years Ago

ahahahaha yes manana is good enough for me :))))

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

87 Views
3 Reviews
Rating
Added on December 20, 2020
Last Updated on June 24, 2021


Author

Cherrie Palmer
Cherrie Palmer

Springfield , MO



About
I am a published poet and love poetry. After a lifetime of country living, I'm making a move back to town. I find my surroundings a great inspiration to me. I also have two books on Amazon Kindle: .. more..

Writing