Three Dog Night

Three Dog Night

A Chapter by Cherrie Palmer
"

fast food is never simple

"

The forest terrain quickly changed to rolling hills of grass. Being here felt wrong. They both missed the red canyon layered with scrub-brush, sage, and pines. Ella and Jack rested on a shady hillside. The skin under Ella’s neck was injured, Jack nestled up close to give her comfort, as they recovered from their battle with Brutus. The two young wolves were now and forever imprint. A bond that will last a lifetime. 


Soon an unfamiliar sound woke them from their rest. They continued to the hilltop and studied a strange group of baaing fluff. The smell of the little herd made them lick their chops. Keen ears stood straight, and the pinpoint eyes of killers searched for a weak link. The little lambs bedded down for the night, unaware of the danger.


Sly predators quietly watched downwind, creeping ever closer. The smorgasbord of white was one leap away when three large Pyrenees dogs lifted their heads.

Rough, loud barks filled the air. Then the old shepherd sleeping among the sheep rose and fired off a shot. The bullet landed between them kicking up a patch of dirt, it’s hot-peppery smell would forever be linked with the sight of man, and they began to run.


“Kill’em!” the old man howled, firing another shot. Baaing sheep loudly cried, and the dogs were barking with each advancing stride. 


The two retreated for higher ground. Thru the woods, to the canyon, where they met, they would run. The three angry dogs hot on their steps. A trumpeting horn rang out and just like that the dogs broke-off the chase and Ella and Jack began the search for something else to eat. 




© 2019 Cherrie Palmer


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

A wild chapter. Escaping the dog and seeking food and safety. An exciting chapter dear Cherrie.
Coyote

Posted 2 Years Ago


Cherrie Palmer

2 Years Ago

:) thank you my friend.
'Jack nestled up close trying to give her comfort'____________ how cute :-*

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 5 Years Ago


Cherrie Palmer

5 Years Ago

Yes, we've been watching some videos of wolfs she is fascinated.
HB Rita

5 Years Ago

She is a creator
your granddaughter is too young to remember 3 dog night.How much help you giving her? Anyway no easy row for ella is there

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 5 Years Ago


Cherrie Palmer

5 Years Ago

Seeing how we had 3 pyrenees, it just hit me, and she liked it.
I let her write out the eve.. read more
I have loved reading this co-write . . . did you say daughter or granddaughter? I was wondering how old she is? How do you co-write together? Will you be continuing this? Just curious! Your stories truly transport me to the dynamic scenes you describe! (((HUGS))) Fondly, Margie

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 5 Years Ago


Cherrie Palmer

5 Years Ago

She's 11. I make her pick the location for each chapter. The mood, the goal, and the outcome.
.. read more
Cherrie Palmer

5 Years Ago

I forget to tell you she's my granddaughter
barleygirl

5 Years Ago

Love it! *smile*!!!!

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

214 Views
4 Reviews
Rating
Added on April 12, 2019
Last Updated on April 22, 2019


Author

Cherrie Palmer
Cherrie Palmer

Springfield , MO



About
I am a published poet and love poetry. After a lifetime of country living, I'm making a move back to town. I find my surroundings a great inspiration to me. I also have two books on Amazon Kindle: .. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Meet Muse Meet Muse

A Poem by Corset