Lessons in Leadership

Lessons in Leadership

A Chapter by Cathy Bryant
"

Lessons in leadership from the life of Moses

"

Leading others is tough work. It's not for the fainthearted.
 

If you don't believe me, ask Moses. Can you imagine leading approximately two million people through the desert toward the promised land?

The Israelites had only just left Egypt when they started complaining.

They said to Moses, "Was it because there were no graves in Egypt that you brought us to the desert to die? What have you done to us by bringing us out of Egypt? Didn't we say to you in Egypt, 'Leave us alone; let us serve the Egyptians?' It would have been better for us to serve the Egyptians than to die in the desert!" (Exodus 14:11-12, NIV)

The scripture reference above is one of MANY where the Israelites grumbled and complained to Moses. His task was monumental.

Moses wasn't just a good leader; he was a great leader. There is much we can learn about leadership by looking at the life of Moses and his brother, Aaron.

LESSON #1: A True Leader Intercedes On Behalf Of The People They Lead

"I have seen these people," the LORD said to Moses, "and they are a stiff-necked people. Now leave me alone so that my anger may burn against them and that I may destroy them. Then I will make you into a great nation." But Moses sought the favor of the LORD his God. "O LORD," he said, "why should your anger burn against your people, whom you brought out of Egypt with great power and a mighty hand?" (Exodus 32:9-11, NIV)

God gave Moses the opportunity to rid himself of these "stiff-necked people." Notice that God says: "Leave me alone..."

Moses showed great restraint. The people's constant attacks against him could have made him want to wash his hands of the whole affair. It would have been so easy to say, "Sure, God, have at 'em. Wipe them off the face of the planet."

Instead, he interceded on their behalf. That shows true leadership.

LESSON #2: A True Leader Isn't After Personal Gain

In the verses above, God gives Moses another opportunity. Notice His words--"Then I will make you into a great nation." Moses had the chance to become the start of a great nation.

Instead he turned the attention away from himself. True humility. True leadership.

LESSON #3: A True Leader Seeks After God

"If You are pleased with me, teach me Your ways so I may know You and continue to find favor with You. Remember that this nation is Your people." (Exodus 33:13, NIV)

Moses knew he couldn't do it alone. More than anything, he desired to know God. He recognized that God was the one in control.

LESSON #4: A True Leader Doesn't Blame His Shortcomings On Others

"Do not be angry, my lord," Aaron answered. "You know how prone these people are to evil." (Exodus 32:22, NIV)

A little background: Moses had gone up on Mount Sinai to get the ten commandments from God. Aaron, his brother, was left in charge. While Moses was gone, the Israelites grew impatient and threw a wild party. The party included making a gold calf to worship.

When Moses asked Aaron why he led the people in such a great sin, Aaron blamed the people instead of accepting personal responsibility.

It is human nature to want to pass the buck on to someone else, but true leaders own up to their mistakes. (For another example of this kind of poor leadership, see 1 Samuel 15:15 with the story of King Saul.)

LESSON #5: A True Leader Doesn't Lie or Make Excuses to Protect Himself

"So I told them, 'Whoever has any gold jewelry, take it off.' Then they gave me the gold, and I threw it into the fire, and out came this calf!" (Exodus 32:24, NIV)

This is one of the funniest--and most pathetic--excuses in the Bible. "I threw in the gold and out came this calf." Yeah right, Aaron.

As laughable as it is, we are all prone to doing whatever is necessary to save our own skin, even if it means lying or making excuses.

Aaron gives us one more example of how not to do it.

Dear heavenly Father, We love You and praise You for who You are. Father, each of us are leaders and people of influence in the area of life in which You have placed us. We may be leaders of companies, organizations, or families. Help us to see these positions of leadership as a divine assignment. Help us to be true leaders: people who seek after You, who intercede on behalf of those under us, who seek the welfare of others instead of personal gain. Lord, make us quick to accept personal responsibility when we fail, and turn to You in repentance. In Jesus' name we pray, Amen.



© 2009 Cathy Bryant


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

216 Views
Added on March 1, 2009


Author

Cathy Bryant
Cathy Bryant

Texarkana, TX



About
I'm a disciple, wife, mother, teacher, musician, and aspiring writer. I joined American Christian Fiction Writers (ACFW) in June 2008, started my blog, WordVessel, which chronicles my journey into the.. more..

Writing