Excuses, Excuses!!

Excuses, Excuses!!

A Chapter by Cathy Bryant
"

A devotional on the excuses we give.

"

I'm a teacher by profession. It's part of who God gifted me to be.

 

One thing I've had to deal with as a teacher is excuses. (The most recent ones seem to be about why my piano students haven't had time to practice. Believe me, I've heard 'em all!)

Even though I've heard millions of excuses (some of which were very creative), I know God has heard even more.

Let's look to a giant of the faith--Moses--to see how his excuses are often the same ones we use today.

"So now, go. I am sending you to Pharoah to bring my people the Israelites out of Egypt." ~Exodus 3:10, NIV

Moses had his marching orders. They weren't vague. God told him exactly what he was to do.

Let the excuses begin...

EXCUSE #1: "Why me?"

But Moses said to God, "Who am I, that I should go to Pharoah and bring the Israelites out of Egypt?" ~Exodus 3:11, NIV

This is such a typical human reaction, it's almost laughable. "Not me? Surely not me? Are you sure you've got the right guy?"

God's Response to Excuse #1:

And God said, "I will be with you..." ~Exodus, 3:12a, NIV

We need to remember that we're not alone. God isn't going to call us to do something for Him, and then say, "I'll catch you later. You're on your own." He is the God who is always with us. He doesn't forsake us or forget about us.

EXCUSE #2: "Who are you really?"

Moses said to God, "Suppose I go to the Israelites and say to them, 'The God of your fathers has sent me to you,' and they ask me, 'What is his name?' Then what shall I tell them?" ~Exodus 3:13, NIV

In Old Testament times, a name was more than a moniker. A person's name was a reflection of their character. Though Moses was seeking for a deeper understanding of who God was, he was also saying, "What kind of God are you really?" or "Are you really who you say you are?" Moses teetered on the edge here at questioning God, in effect putting God on trial.

Wait 'til you see how God answers this one...

God's Response to Excuse #2:

God said to Moses, "I AM WHO I AM. This is what you are to say to the Israelites: 'I AM has sent me to you.'" ~Exodus 3:14, NIV

I love this!!! Here God uses His name Yahweh, the One who is, the Self-Existent One. No one had to speak Him into being! In a sense, God says, "I AM! Who are you to question me?"

God's thundering "I AM!" trumps our pitiful "I can't." When God is behind us, we have no excuse.

EXCUSE #3: "No one will believe me."

Moses answered, "What if they do not believe me or listen to me and say, 'The LORD did not appear to you'?" ~Exodus 4:1, NIV

If I had to choose a pet excuse for myself, this would be it. I confess that I am far too concerned about what others say and think. When will I ever learn? (*sigh*)

I've encountered times in my own faith journey when I'm convinced people will not understand some of the things I believe God has called me to do. But you know what? In the bigger scheme of things, in the vastness of our eternal God, it doesn't matter whether people believe me or not.

My job is to walk by faith, regardless...

God's Response to Excuse #3:

If you want it verbatim, check out Exodus 4:2-9, but basically God gave Moses three miraculous signs to use: a rod/snake, a leprous cloak, and river water that turned into blood.

I'm giving myself this advice, but I hope it's useful to you as well: Don't worry about what other people say or think. Step out in faith, knowing that the power of God is behind you!

EXCUSE #4: "I'm not equipped for the task."

Moses said to the LORD, "O Lord, I have never been eloquent, neither in the past nor since you have spoken to your servant. I am slow of speech and tongue." ~Exodus 4:10, NIV

Have you ever noticed that the times when we feel ill-equipped are usually the times when we're comparing ourselves to someone else? Maybe Moses was thinking, "I've been holed up here in the desert for forty years, while the world has passed me by. I'm not capable. I'm old news. I'm washed up."

I suppose it's possible that Moses had a speech impediment (or a God-spoke-to-me-out-of-a-burning-bush-induced stutter), but it's also possible that he was grasping for any excuse he could find. Look at what Paul has to say about it in Acts 7:22:

"Moses was educated in all the wisdom of the Egyptians and was powerful in speech and action." (NIV)

Doesn't even sound like the same guy, huh?

God's Response to Excuse #4:

The LORD said to him, "Who gave man his mouth? Who makes him deaf or mute? Who gives him sight or makes him blind? Is it not I, the LORD? Now go; I will help you speak and will teach you what to say." ~Exodus 4:11-12, NIV

If God has the power to create the universe by simply speaking a word, how can we believe that he won't give us what we need to carry out the task He has given us?

He equips us for every task He gives us.

EXCUSE #5: "Send someone else."

But Moses said, "O Lord, please send someone else to do it." ~Exodus 4:13, NIV

Do you remember those times growing up when you pushed a little too far in an argument with one of your parents?

Moses has just crossed that line.

God's Response to Excuse #5:

Then the LORD's anger burned against Moses... ~Exodus 4:14a, NIV

But the verses go on to show how incredibly patient God was with Moses (and is with us). He gave Moses the assurance that his brother, Aaron, would be his mouthpiece.

APPLICATION:

If God tells us to do something, we are without excuse. The powerful and great I AM is with us, and equips us with all we need to complete the job.

Just look at how he used Moses...in spite of his excuses!


NEXT POST: Author Interview with Lyn Cote!



© 2009 Cathy Bryant


Author's Note

Cathy Bryant
Could this be published as a book of devotionals?

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

173 Views
Added on February 8, 2009


Author

Cathy Bryant
Cathy Bryant

Texarkana, TX



About
I'm a disciple, wife, mother, teacher, musician, and aspiring writer. I joined American Christian Fiction Writers (ACFW) in June 2008, started my blog, WordVessel, which chronicles my journey into the.. more..

Writing