Advertise Here
Want to advertise here? Get started for as little as $5
Compartment 114
Compartment 114
One Night

One Night

A Poem by Austin Cates
"

The memory of a love that fate denied...

"
One Night

by Austin Cates


A cold wind brushes across my face, and I call a most precious memory to the front of my mind.

* * * * *

A boring business trip led me to a bar at the end of the night. You were alone there with a sullen face.

That soft, green dress hugged your body like a second skin. It demanded attention, and I obliged willingly.

Against better judgement I approached and something between us clicked like the gears of a clock.

Your smile was sugar sweet and your eyes set hooks deep into my soul, reeling me in. In that moment, I found Heaven.

Words fell into ears with ease; drinks were consumed with delight; lips were pressed against each other as soft as possible.

A quick sequence of words, soft as silk but supple as sin, took us from the bar to my hotel room.

Holding each other, we cast aside the woes of our lives and let loose the plans that bound us to fates we denied.

Morning was littered with scattered clothes and blissful smirks over coffee. Bed was mandatory.

Desolation drenched our souls as we held hands before your departure. Eyes too desperate to part and hearts tied together with the tether of a love to strong to sever.

One final kiss led to a sequence of final kisses, and those led to you in my arms with eyes of red.

We cried silently, knowing this was the end to a quantum infinity of love that could never be replaced. However, our lives were waiting anxiously for us to return.

Significant others that wore bands of gold around their fingers, mirroring the ones we wore ourselves.

An occurrence that should never have happened, sprouted during the sleepless night and bloomed into something truly beautiful.

Fingers sliding apart slowly, tears flowing down freely and hearts tearing in half on a hotel balcony.

The universe, which made sense just six hours previously, seemed to unravel entirely at that moment.

Paralyzed with sorrow, I watched you turn and walk to the door. Just before you opened it, you turned your head and we shared what our true goodbye.

* * * * *

The cold wind brushes across my face again and the memory is placed back into a secret fold of my brain.

Then, a smile fills the corner of my mouth and I retreat to the memory again. I retreat to Heaven, and the angel that resides within.

© 2014 Austin Cates


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

Beautiful and sad..."we cast aside the woes of our lives and let loose the plans that bound us to fates we denied"- I loved this:)

Posted 8 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

163 Views
1 Review
Added on November 13, 2014
Last Updated on November 13, 2014
Tags: love, one night stand, pain, memory

Author

Austin Cates
Austin Cates

Bakersfield, CA



About
Just a simple guy, bleeding words and sewing the wounds with frayed thread. more..

Writing
Mom Mom

A Poem by Austin Cates


Choice Choice

A Poem by Austin Cates