Ancient warrior

Ancient warrior

A Poem by Coyote Poetry
"

Blood cannot change. Sometime must go back to your place of birth to learn peace.

"
                     

   Ancient warrior

I drove to the forest.
Away from the city.
I took my grandson with me to learn the spirit of the forest.
We walked deep into the safety of the woods and
the friendship of the wind.
I watched the birds and animals fly and roam free.

I found a river.
The water was strong and still clean from man's pollution.
I took out my sage. I lit the sage.
Said a quiet prayer.

I walked along the river.
Three year old Grandson followed.

"Spirit of life and death.
Please give me strength and wisdom.
Protect the water, the earth and the sky.
Allow the spirit of the hawk and wolf to send wisdom
to the leaders of this world.
So much war and violence.
Hate had overtook kindness."

I heard a quiet whisper in the wind.
"Ancient Warrior. Put your feet into the river.
Refresh your body and heart. Allow nature to absorb your pain."

I put my feet into the water. My grandson does the same.
I looked to the sky and whispered.
"Thank you spirit of life and death.
Thank you for the drinking water.
Thank you for the green earth.
Thank you for the clean air."

I raised my hand to the sky.
I allowed the sage smoke to spread around me and my grandson.
I knew the truth. I relearn many times in my life.

"We are one people on one planet.
We must live together in peace.
We must know peace for the sake of the children."

People tell me.
Man is foolish.
He cannot know peace. He cannot live without war.
Will a nuclear weapon killing a million people?
Will their screams of cities show the way to peace?

Old ancient warrior watches his grandson run through the forest.
He wondered what kind of world did he leave for his grandchild?

                            Coyote
                            Sept. 2012



© 2012 Coyote Poetry


Author's Note

Coyote Poetry
People tell me. War is a part of us. One day when we are all dead. What will be remembered about the race of man?

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

That's a very good question. That's one reason I became a writer, rather than a soldier. Wars come, and wars go, and soldiers always die in the end and become dust . . . but our written words are eternal, and they live on forever. As necessary as soldiers are to society (and as much as I admire them,) something tells me being a writer is more of a lasting legacy than being a soldier

Posted 12 Years Ago


6 of 6 people found this review constructive.

Caradoc

12 Years Ago

And when we are all dead and gone, who then will read the words of hearts? Even though we may leave .. read more



Reviews

This is an amazing write Coyote, it flows well and the story is truly moving. The second last stanza especially stood out to me. Great Write.

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Your poetry touches on so many levels of relevance. This particular one reminds me a bit of the biblical account of God telling Abraham to sacrifice Issac in order to teach a lesson. This poem, while having a darker undertone, certainly provides a unique perspective on an age-old issue. Very well done.

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

The race of man, I believe, will be remembered for its belligerence and unity,if that makes sense. Belligerence because we fight like there is no tomorrow, usually against each other, and usually destroying the possibility of a tomorrow for many of our brothers. Unity, however, because of how close we become after the wars and death. Whoever survives our man-made hell is awarded with a brotherhood of peace, if tormented by peace. It seems to be true what you say, that people cannot live without hatred and war. Perhaps it would take a million deaths to pave the path to peace, sad as that would be, but I do not believe so. I believe this ancient warrior is a wise man, and his grandson is a lucky child. I wish their were more men like this ancient warrior, to fuel the freedom of peace and learn from the mistakes of our past. War is only a part of us if we believe we cannot live without it. Once we realize that our violence destroys everything, especially ourselves, and we change our mindset about war, perhaps things will get better. The dust of the dead is not a curse for the living, but a plea for the rainbow of peace mankind experiences after the storm's shadow.

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I always think that if something finds our history, they're going to think of us as foolish and stupid because of all the fights and problems we create ourselves. This is a lovely poem. Awesome job.

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Wow, I can't tell you how amazed I am when I read this amazing, outstanding, inspiring and excellent poem! Your poetry is a masterpiece! This is a masterpiece! A masterpiece that should be remembered forever. I agree with you, men and women mostly say that life is war, but what would be left with us? Only dirt, ashes, dead plants and a little bit if animals.
My favorite line was " Protect the water, the earth and the sky. Allow the spirit of the hawk and wolf to send wisdom" the best line ever!
The ending was amazing too!
Outstanding work!
Thanks for sharing!
100/100

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I found myself so touched by this poem...And left me so thoughtful... Yeah, people and the world changes a lot, and it haven't ever stopped... Many people still refuse to put down their guns as war still continues, and people die... It'll never get better, if one refuses to do what's the best is that to learn how to make world more peaceful, this world will leave nothing....

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

all his life your grandson will remember this, and have the will to pass it on...i have an eight year old grandson...we sometimes talk for hours...thanks for this wonderful sharing

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Wow. Mankind has changed so drastically through the years, which our taste for voilence has only gotten worse. Its a great read. History is to never be forgotten, for if it is, wont it just repeat itself?

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I like this poem that gets into your heritage. Sage is a powerful calming herb and cleansing as well. I have a sage plant growing in my garden. It got really big and my mint is growing in a circle around the base of the sage plant. Not sure why. This is a powerful piece about love and tranquility about hoping for an end to turmoil. Great eye opening write.

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

A very nice write! We take so much for granted these days! Men consider war and violence as ''things that happen' - until it keeps knocking at their doors! The intimate moments that we spend with nature help us to realize what we are missing out on and slowly and steadily destroying! Your poem speaks volumes about this concern most of us have at a subconscious level, but nothing is done about it.. This is an enriching write!

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

4375 Views
110 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 13 Libraries
Added on September 16, 2012
Last Updated on September 16, 2012

Author

Coyote Poetry
Coyote Poetry

MI



About
A Poet and writer who love to read and write. My pleasure is reading about the bad and good in a life. Also to honor the Poets/Writers of the past by reading their words. Remember .. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..