Part 6

Part 6

A Chapter by Carrie Manor
"

Excerpt: Fraunbach sighed. “ John, it’s very difficult to explain. As you know, I had to convert your brain into a microchip-”

"

Part VI.

McLauren laid in a comma for several weeks after the operation. I thought it cause for worry, but the doctor’s nerves seemed to settle the longer McLauren was unconscious. He said it was giving McLauren’s new brain more time to make more impulsive connections and adjustments.

For all those weeks, I was left a majority of the time in the complete care of McLauren’s well being. I drew his new fluids out ( a synthetic blood for a robot ) to see the cells were reproducing correctly. McLauren was to have a certain amount of chemical fluids everyday which I was left in solo responsibility. Fraunbach, if he were lucky would come by but once a day, to see if the man came to his consciousness. 

One morning about a month or so after the operation, I had come into McLauren’s room, performing the usual routine. My mind began to drift towards the window. It was a bright morning, the trees were waving their full branches in the background, pink, and blue, and purple flowers were beginning to unfurl their fresh new petals. I unlatched one of the windows, a cool breeze entered the room and my nostrils were filled with the invigorating scent. It was then I realized that all winter I had been so preoccupied with McLauren’s care, that even the simplest delights of nature had escaped and abandoned me.

When I left for the evening. Fraunbach made his usual round. A holographic clipboard hovered over his head and was busily calculating and monitoring all his stats. Unexpectantly, a groan was let up. In a quick hurry Fraunbach lit another candle and rushed to the bedside of McLauren.

McLauren’s eyes opened slowly, a long weary smile drew across his face as he watched Fraunbach’s approach.

“ D-doctor!”

Fraunbach drew the candle close to his face, “ Shh, you must keep quiet now.”

“ Doctor, tell me. When, when can I standup? When can I leave, when shall I see my wife.”

Fraunbach lowered his hand and spoke in a delicate whisper, “ all in good time, you need rest.”

McLauren’s eyes shot wide open, he turned his head staring madly at the ceiling, “ I feel fine doctor, really. I-I’ve never felt so rested before in all my life.” He turned his gaze pityingly towards the doctor.

Fraunbach sighed. “ John, it’s very difficult to explain. As you know, I had to convert your brain into a microchip-” The doctor’s gaze shot mercilessly at McLauren.

“Yes doctor.”

“ Well,” Fraunbach continued, he began pacing the room. “ It will take a while for the plasma fluids to balance harmoniously in your new brain and body. There’s a possibility of you risking severe brain trauma by just even performing the simplest tasks. I’ve been monitoring the chip, and the chemical balances are still not fully functional yet. You may become irrational, irritable even. If your brain isn’t allowed sufficient recovery time, any damage may become permanent.”

“ oh doctor!” McLauren turned his head, “ I feel fine. Better than I have in years.” McLauren tried to move the rest of his body but was frozen.

“ Now, now.” The doctor said, treating his experiment much like a child. “ We don’t want you getting out. You’ve been sleeping for a month now, McLauren. You agreed to our terms, six month recovery period. Then when that time is up, you will be free.”

A tear rolled down McLauren’s cheek, humoring, a robot that can cry. His head was turned now to the open window, he felt a cold breeze graze his cheek.



© 2013 Carrie Manor


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

179 Views
Added on April 29, 2013
Last Updated on April 29, 2013


Author

Carrie Manor
Carrie Manor

About
Bonjour! My name is Carrie Manor. Believe it or not but I’m eighteen years old. I’m not to particular fond of computers or the internet, but I enjoy this opportunity to share my writing a.. more..

Writing