Chapter 3

Chapter 3

A Chapter by Emma

Chapter Three

 

 

    When I reach home, I make a beeline for the kitchen and prepare the evening meal in record time. Thankfully Lady Tremaine did not choose a difficult menu for tonight.

    During the period I work in the kitchen I notice a perpetual smile that steals to my face at thoughts of Prince Charming. He had been so gentlemanly and kind and chivalrous and handsome. He was very handsome with those warm, chocolate eyes, dark, curling brown hair, and muscular body. His father’s trade must not be a genteel trade or maybe physical exertion is a past time he enjoys. I attempt to push him from my mind multiple times, but thoughts of him creep back and I find myself wondering about other details of his life or having imaginary conversations with him.

    While I serve the meal, I am terribly distracted and get asked more than once what is wrong with me. Each time, I manage a stuttered or mumbled "nothing." Drizilla and Anastasia mostly ignore me, but Lady Tremaine narrows her eyes in an unbelieving way.

    Later in the evening, while I am washing dishes, Jaq and Gus jump onto the windowsill in front of me. Gus feasts on a piece of cheese that I had given him earlier and Jaq begins to chatter away. I try to follow his words, I really do, but it is so difficult when my mind is in an entirely different place. Finally, when there is a lull in the one-sided conversation, I take the opportunity to tell the mice about my afternoon.

     “So I met someone today,” I dip a dinner plate in the soapy water and attempt to appear nonchalant.

   Gus’s one ear twitches slightly indicating that he is listening, but he continues to gobble up his cheese. Cocking his head to one side, Jaq gives me a look that clearly says go on.

    “I accidentally ran into him when I was turning a corner on my way home.”

    Jaq makes a cutting motion with his hands. “Wait. Wait. Him?” He asks, nudging Gus in the ribs and giggling, “This should be good.”

    I blush and scrub at the plate, “He helped me pick up my apples and when I realized the needles for Anastasia were missing, he offered to buy me new ones.” I sigh at the memory that is still fresh in my mind, “He was so very kind and charming… and handsome.” At the look on Jaq and Gus’s face, I realize that my voice has established a dreamy quality. Clearing my throat I attempt to wipe the silly smile-that I know is there-from my face.

    “Uh-huh,” Jaq drawls, sharing a knowing look with Gus. “So… Do you know his name?”

    “Prince Charming,” again I notice my dreamy tone and shake my head, while saying quickly, “I mean, Freddy. His name is Freddy.” I glance at the grins on Jaq and Gus’s faces and feel my cheeks warming. “I’m actually going riding with him tomorrow.”

    “Tomorrow?!?” They both explode simultaneously. Then separately, “What are you thinking?” And, “Are you crazy?”

    “Yes, tomorrow. And I’m not crazy. He asked and I couldn’t say no.” I almost plead with them to understand.

    Jaq looks at me skeptically and says, with sarcasm dripping from his words, “Oh no, of course you couldn’t say no. He was simply too charming,” on the last word he bats his eyes.

    “Yes, exactly,” I try to defend myself.

    “What if the evil stepmother finds out?” Jaq shouts almost as loud as his little voice can and jumps a little in the air.

    “She will not find out,” I insist dropping my fist into the dishwater and causing a splash that sprays the two mice.

    “Aaah she better not,” Gus brushes a droplet of water from his yellow shirt.

    “She won’t. Unless someone tells her,” I look at them pointedly.

    “Who us?” Jaq motions to himself and Gus. “Ha. That’s a funny joke.”

   “Good,” I clap my hands together sending more water flying and causing the mice to shake themselves again. “I can’t wait! I’m so excited.” As I say this I take hold of a small stone pot and drop it into the water. For a third time water splashes over the mice. They both wrinkle their noses and let out annoyed, “Ughs,” as they attempt to remove the water from their prized clothes.

 

 

    It takes me till the next day to realize that Freddy and I had not decided upon a time or place of meeting. At first I am devastated, but after ranting and raving to Jaq and Gus for a short while, that I will never find him in such a vast forest, I finally decide that the only way there is any chance of meeting Prince Charming is if I go out and look for him. So I rush through the mounds of laundry and by some miracle finish it all shortly after noon hour. I run a comb through my hair, remove my apron, and hurry to the barn. Major looks at me with question marks in his eyes as I saddle him. He does not understand why his mistress has suddenly decided to go riding. As I mount, I hear the voices of Jaq and Gus as they approach.

    “Cinderelly. Cinderelly.”

    I smile down at them, “You two have come to say goodbye? How sweet of you.”

    “Aaah, goodbye Cinderelly,” Gus says frowning, implying that goodbye is not all he came to say, but now that he has arrived cannot remember his main purpose of coming.

    “Ya, goodbye Cinderelly,” Jaq repeats Gus, then shakes his head, remembering what Gus forgot, “No. No.” He points a finger at me, “You be careful. I don’t trust this Prince Charming.”

    “I will be careful,” I promise solemnly.

    Jaq scrambles up on some old crates and points his furry, brown paw at Major, “And Frou. You keep an eye on Prince Charming and take care of our Cinderelly.” Major just blinks at the little mouse and I say another goodbye to my two protective, little friends. Then with a cluck of my tongue we head to the Great Forest to meet Prince Charming.

 

     As I ride over the well-worn paths, I wonder how in the world I am going to find him. My first guess is Welton Glade, but he is not there. I swallow my disappointment though, I will find him. Maybe. The second location I choose to look, is King Albert’s Oak, if Freddy is not there than there are few choices I have left that are popular spots in this vast forest. As I approach, I have an urge to shut my eyes. What if he is not there? Then I will probably never see him again. Holding my breath, I urge Major around the last bend that leads to King Albert’s Oak.

     And there he sits under the shadow of the great tree. Beside Freddy, a magnificent coal, black horse grazes on the lush grass. At first, Freddy does not see me and I notice that his shoulders are slumped, as if in defeat. Could it be possible that he did not think I would come? Before I have time to fully contemplate the thought, Major gives us away with a loud snort. Freddy’s face breaks out into a grin and he jumps up from the ground.

    “I did not think you would find me,” he walks towards us, leaving his horse to feast on the foliage.

    I return his bright smile, shyly, “To be honest, I did not think I would find you either.”

    “Silly of us not to set up a time or place of meeting. Oh well, here you are anyway.”

    “I hope you have not been waiting long.”

    “No. And besides I was anticipating our ride together so much that the time simply flew by,” he makes a flitting motion with his fingers.

    A laugh escapes my lips. He probably has been waiting longer than he lets on, but he really is so very charming.

    “I assume this is Major?” Freddy lays a hand on Major’s muzzle.

    “You remembered,” I say, confirming his assertion.

    He looks at me in mock horror, as if the very idea of him forgetting is preposterous, “My Lady, I have replayed yesterday’s conversation over and over in my head till I could say it backwards.” Even though his voice is light, I detect a glimmer of seriousness in his eyes.

    “Well then, Prince Charming,” I incline my head towards him, a smile tugging at my lips. “Where are we off to today? I also am eager to continue and lengthen the conversation we began yesterday.”

    “How about the old castle ruins?”

    I say yes, but after Freddy catches his horse and we are under way, I remember that our destination is a good two hours away. But if we do not tarry too long, I should be able to make it back in time. At least I better.

     While we ride, we talk about books, music, horses, our favorite foods, and what seems like everything under the sun. Except I do not tell him about the position I hold in my own home. I am afraid telling him will make him like me less, but in not telling him I am being untruthful. I nearly convey more than once; however, each time the words just do not seem to want to form on my tongue. Freddy appears to wish to tell me something too, a few times he takes a breath as if preparing to speak and then randomly says another thing, that I am sure is not what he had first desired to communicate. Under normal circumstances I would be hurt that there is one detail he is afraid to divulge, but I am not being entirely truthful either, so it is only fair.

    When we reach the ruins, we fasten the horses to trees and begin to walk through the vestiges of the castle. Piles and piles of stone and rubble surround us, some that tower to great heights. Trees grow where grand ballrooms and banquet halls were once located. The forest is burying the memory.

   We eventually arrive at a courtyard, where a crumbling yet still stately statue of a horse and rider, stand in a pool of water. Turning in a circle I see what were once ornate balconies, tall archways, and opulent wall coverings. One balcony that is still very much intact, has bunches of grapes flowing over its edge and underneath it, cleverly depicted, is the statue of a heavy-set, seemingly drunk, bearded man with a chalice clutched in one hand. More balconies catch my eye, all with a theme such as roses, lions, swords, a maiden with a water jug, and one with a coat of arms.

    “It must have been beautiful,” my voice comes out slightly dreamy, as I imagine the castle’s former glory.

    “Yes. They say it was even great than the present castle,” Freddy says, watching me as I take in the ruins.

   “You know,” I sigh wistfully. “It is sad people destroy like this. They are so blinded by their hate that they do not even heed the beauty around themselves.” My cheeks warm, in slight embarrassment, “I am sorry. I am sure you do not wish to hear me go on rambling like that.”

    “No. Not so. Your words bewitch me. They make me hope that if there are more people with compassion such as yours, the world could be a better place.”

    “It might take more than that,” I walk towards the horse and rider fountain and stare up at the man’s face.

    Freddy follows, “What do you mean?”

    I hesitate between steps, “It takes many to build, but only one to break down.”

    His eyes narrow slightly and a thoughtful expression crosses his face, “Do you then, imply that this one is the King?”

    I laugh a little at the almost worried look on his face, “I promise I do not speak of rebellion.”

    His face relaxes slightly, but his eyes remain serious, “Explain yourself, I entreat you.”

    Considering my words carefully, I begin, “The king, he is a good man. I have no doubt. But since his wife’s death, I think he finds it difficult to rule. I can relate to his pain and so do not blame him for it. But the country is weak and there is a vast cavern of division between the rich and poor. At times it feels like anyone, even one man, could sweep us all away.”

    I can tell my words play themselves over in his mind and finally he asks, “And the prince what do you think of him?”

    Hesitantly, but truthfully I answer, “I do not think he is very dedicated to his country.”

    Freddy frowns, but pushes further, “How so?”

    “He will inherit the throne soon. Do you not think he should be doing something more?”

    “What do you propose he does? Make a huge army that the country cannot afford?”

    “No. Nothing like that. He should unite us. The illiterate servants and poor are looked down upon and so hate the monarchy because they are never given an opportunity to improve their position in life. They just need a chance to become something more, a chance to be able to pull themselves from under the hate of those above their station.”

    A slow smile creeps to his lips, “At first I thought you were spouting treason and now… How did you come to be so wise?”

    I laugh at his words, “Me? Wise? Not at all.”

    Sighing, I walk to the balcony with the maiden and water jug, “Sometimes I wish I was wiser.”

    “Do not wish that. I have learned, the hard way, that wishing to be wiser will get you nowhere. It is best just to soldier on as well as you can.”

    Pausing in my steps I turn towards him, “Now that is exactly what a prince would say.” I say it slightly jokingly. The name I have given him is after all Prince Charming, but a certain joy fills his eyes when he hears my words.

    “Do you think I would make a good prince?”

    I ponder the question for a moment before giving my answer. Freddy is wise and kind, the traits that all royalty should possess. “Yes, I think you would make a good prince.” Then I add jestingly, “As long as you do not charm your subject into submission.”

    His laugh is musical and I listen to it ring through the ruins.

    “And you? Would you ever wish to be a princess or queen?” Freddy asks.

    I turn my head away from the maiden’s crumbling face, towards Freddy’s inquisitive one, “I know it will never come to be, so I do not wish it.”

    “But say per chance,” he clears his throat, “You meet a prince and fall deeply in love with him?”

    His comment is ridiculous, no prince, in his right mind, would marry a servant like me. In a way, I avoid directly answering, “The only prince I know is you. And if you do not escort me back to the way home I shall be scolded for being late.”

     Freddy smiles and offers me his arm, “You never know what may happen.”

    I rest my hand in the crook of his arm, “You are right. Who knows, I may yet be surprised. But,” I look up at him and he turns his eyes toward mine, “One prince is quite enough for me.”

    “That is very well, for your prince might become jealous of other princes vying for your attention,” he says, as we reach our horses.

    I cluck my tongue, “Did your mother never teach you to share?”

   Freddy grasps the reins of both horses and hands Major’s to me, “I’m afraid everything that was taught to me as a child went in one ear and came out the other.” While he speaks, he lifts me by my waist and sets me effortlessly onto Major’s back.

    His action surprises me so it takes me a moment to reply to his last comment, “I am sure that is not entirely true.”

   Mounting his own horse and gathering the reins, Freddy gives me a sidelong look, “You have no idea how bad I was as a child.”

    “Oh really? Do tell,” I say squeezing Major’s sides to urge him into a walk.

    Freddy looks down at his horse’s mane, a mischievous smile lifting the corners of his lips, “Once I put a frog between the sheets of my governess’s bed.”

    I try to hide the smile that insists upon showing itself.

    He continues, “When I turned seven, my parents finally decided to replace the nursemaids with a tutor. He was not even at the castle for a week when somehow, I convinced him to go swimming with me. I think maybe I threatened him. But anyway, I could swim like fish and when I had lured him to the middle of the pond, I swam to shore and before he knew what was happening, I had run off with all the clothes. That tutor left the next day.”

    As he finishes, a giggle escapes my lip and I quickly slap a hand over those two rebellious subjects.

    “You probably think me a horrible person now,” he says somewhat jokingly, but his cheeks are a light shade of red. He must be slightly embarrassed of his actions.

    “I think it is too late now to scare me away with stories of your naughtiness as a child.”

    “I hope that is so,” Freddy’s voice is earnest and in his expression I see that he really means it.

   I smile happily and we fall into a companionable silence, both listening intently to the music of the forest around us. Presently we come to a fork in the path. Freddy frowns slightly, scans the canopy of trees above us, as if hoping somehow to discover the position of the sun then chooses the road to the left. I tease him lightly that he is forbidden from getting us lost. He laughs, stating that he has been in this forest many times and could find his way home blind folded. Shaking my head, I simply follow him, pushing thoughts of Lady Tremaine from my mind.

 



© 2015 Emma


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

74 Views
Added on October 2, 2015
Last Updated on October 2, 2015
Tags: fantasy, young adult, fairy tale retelling, fiction, romance


Author

Emma
Emma

Canada



About
Hello! I am seventeen years old and I live in Canada. I enjoy writing, reading, composing, playing my violin, singing, riding my horse, and drawing. So needless to say I have many hobbies! It is my dr.. more..

Writing
Red Riding Hood Red Riding Hood

A Story by Emma


Kimbel Kimbel

A Poem by Emma