Dreamland

Dreamland

A Story by Cara D.
"

A girl addicted to Sleeping

"

 

Dreamland
 
             I remember dream quite vividly. I guess you could say it’s a gift. I remember being younger and those dreams, and the daydreams I had that lead into them were something I enjoyed doing more then I should. Every chance I got to take a nap I took, I even went to bed early so I could jump into my dreams. Into a world where nothing was wrong, a world sublime yet so real at the same time. My mother always excused my sleepiness with the fact that, “Its what all girls do when they grow up.” That was when I was 13, now I’m 18, and I’m still going to dreamland every chance I get.
            “She sleeps to much.” I heard my father, faintly saying in the kitchen.
            “She’s a growing girl Richard, its normal.” My mother responded, using the same excuse, five years later.
            “She sleeps at least 15 hours a day Claire. That is not normal/”
            Their argument continued on but I stopped listening, slowly my mind became foggy and a familiar feeling of deep sleep came upon me.
            But as I began to drift, I thought about what my father had said. He was right. I do sleep a lot. In fact, I would say that my small habit of afternoon naps have become a obsession, a addiction. As I got older, as the real world asked more and more of me (do this homework, pick a college, you need a date for prom, you won’t believe what Jennifer said...) I took more and more naps.
            My mother can blame my female hormones, or the fact that I’m growing as she wants, deep inside I know the real reason .
            It is to escape.
            To escape all the earths demands, all the drama, stress, and heartache the world insist on pushing my way. I can’t take it all. I need my dream world to take me away. So that was why, even now as my parents were arguing, I felt myself growing sleepier and sleepier. I felt my mind clouding over, and a familiar high take over.
            That is why, when my parents called to talk to me, I decided not to answer, and by the time I heard my door creak open, and felt the presence near the bed, I heard a voice- far away- saying, “Asleep again.”
            I was already heading for dreamland.   

© 2008 Cara D.


Author's Note

Cara D.
I wrote this S.S for my zine, its not edited yet.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

This would be a great introduction to a story.

I find myself wanting to know what happens next.

Great hook.

Posted 16 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

183 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on April 29, 2008

Author

Cara D.
Cara D.

Leavenworth, KS



About
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince Currently Listening To: Ani Defranco Cara D. is a young writer, who has her own, self published Zine intitled, 'Leaving the Nest.' She is 17.. more..

Writing
One Year Ago One Year Ago

A Poem by Cara D.