A Changed Life

A Changed Life

A Story by Jessica L Auster
"

This is probably one of the worst stories I ever thought up, but I felt compelled to put it up.

"

 

            She sat quietly at the kitchen table as she looked out the window, pondering such a crazy idea that made herself think she was mad. Elyse moved her eyes from the landscape outside, and focused on her macaroni and cheese. She picked up her fork and started stirring it, still thinking about this crazy idea she was having. Elyse moved her head so it was facing the ceiling. She saw a spider in a web. Her eyes were fixed upon it for a while. She didn’t want to kill the arachnid, it wasn’t hurting anybody. So Elyse brought her head forward again and started to eat the meal she had prepared for herself.
            It was when her cell phone rang, that her train of thought was ruined. Elyse looked at who the caller was; it was Mary, her best friend. She was quick to answer it, and she was quick to end the conversation she’d just entered. Elyse got out of her chair, and threw away the small leftover portion of the serving of food she was just eating. She finished her Tropical Citrus Vitamin Water she was drinking, washed out the bottle, and recycled it. Elyse let her father know she was leaving the house and faster than you could say “jack rabbit” she was out of her home.
            Mary met Elyse at the end of her driveway. Elyse didn’t look happy nor sad, just…neutral. Mary looked like she was feeling good. The two turned left and walked up the street.
“So how was your day?” Mary asked Elyse.
“It was alright. How was yours?” she replied.
“Same. Wanna go to Wawa or something?” Mary said, looking down at the off white sidewalk they were walking on. Elyse didn’t say anything right off the bat, but still Mary knew what her answer was.
“But I don’t have money…” Elyse finally said.
“It’s okay; I have five dollars with me.”
“Okay, thanks.” Said Elyse.
            They turned the corner and started their journey to the local drug store. Elyse kicked stones while in discussion with Mary. A car sped down the road and almost hit Elyse.
“Elyse! Are you stupid!? You could’ve got run over!” Mary exclaimed.
“Sorry, I didn’t see it.”
“Maybe you should keep your eyes straight ahead instead of on the ground.” Mary said in a “matter of fact” tone. Elyse didn’t respond, she did pick her head up though.
            The girls continued their journey through the various right and left turns. They finally got to their destination…Wawa. Mary walked in and Elyse followed a few steps behind. Mary got a protein bar and Elyse waited by her side and left after Mary paid for her item.
            The two J-walked across the street. Suddenly, a car swerved…nearly killing Elyse. She ran as fast as she could so she didn’t get hit by the car that was coming head on. Elyse stumbled and shook apprehensively.
“ELYSE! THAT’S WHY YOU LOOK BOTH WAYS!” Mary scolded her best friend.
“I’m sorry, I did but I didn’t see anyone coming…” Elyse’s words trailed off.
            Mary and Elyse both walked to the spot that they always sat at and talked for a while before starting back home.

© 2008 Jessica L Auster


Author's Note

Jessica L Auster
Wawa is like a drug-store. If you're from Jersey or PA you'd know what it is.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

153 Views
Added on February 25, 2008