Chapter 2

Chapter 2

A Chapter by Randi Carson
"

Sorry it took so long for me to get it out! Hopefully you like it, please review it for me!!!

"

 

2.
 

So, I was talking to my friend, Lizzie, today. And she said, “Can you believe we have to take finals on the fifth day of school?” We just started school today; we’re juniors, by the way.

 

“Well it is only review from freshman year.” You see our school learns basically everything during freshman year, but we have to take proper grade tests because of the state. And the only reason we’re able to learn everything in one year at our school is because they give us a knowledge spell.

 

I should probably tell you about Lizzie. She was born into a wealthy family, but her dad’s not a witch. So she’s half witch, but she still gets all the powers of a full witch until she’s 21, then she has to decide whether to become full witch or lose her powers completely. Now most people would think that having powers is easy, but it’s really hard to keep it a secret from mortals. That’s why the decision making is at a respectable age. Another thing you should know is that Lizzie’s dad is totally clueless. Also we’re roomies, along with our other BFF Juliet, Jules for short. BTW: Lizzie’s power is talking to animals.

 

Now Jules should get a turn. Jules’ family is upper class. They are 100% witch, and they live and the magical realm. So being in the mortal realm is somewhat confusing for her. But it’s so funny what she gets herself into sometimes. Just the other day she was shopping and she paid for her clothes in magic money, she was kicked out by security. Her magical power is to control the weather. It seems useless but it has helped us all at some point in our school days.

 

Well since finals were coming up the teachers put a spell on our school disabling all of the spells that people could use to cheat. Jules is probably studying because she never does very well on tests.

 

“I wonder what’s going on at the boys’ school.” said Lizzie.

 

“Probably hocus, pocus and pranks on the school.” Lizzie’s boy crazy, so she constantly talks about the boys’ school. Now this wouldn’t be so annoying if she wasn’t crushing on my brother.

 

“Oh, come on B, you know you’d be interested if Todd still went there.” Todd was my crush last year, unfortunately he had to move to Guatemala, and so he goes to their national witch school.

 

“Still, I’m so glad that we have spell protection on this place, because if I know my brother like I do, he’s probably thinking up a big prank to get back at me for my last one.” I replied. Our schools have been having prank wars ever since they were founded, and this year my brother is the prank master at BBS. Luckily I’ve foiled his plans for years.

 

“Like Alex would do something so horrible to us.” whined Lizzie.

 

“Liz, I hate to break it to you, but you haven’t lived with him for sixteen years. Also you don’t know him like I do.”

 

“Talking about Alex?” interrupted Jules.

 

“What else does Lizzie talk about?” I ask, “Aren’t you supposed to be studying?”

 

“A girl can’t take a break?”

 

“Well I don’t know about you guys, but I want to check out some new hotties. Anyone wants to join?” asked Lizzie.

 

“I’m free, but please don’t start talking about my brother.” I begged.

 

“Oh, stop whining!” snapped Lizzie.

 

2.

 
 

We went to go check out boys, obviously. There were basically the same old obnoxious rich people from last year. BBS hardly ever has scholarships available for young witches, and when they do, there really aren’t poor people who are known witches. For some reason most witches in the mortal realm are rich, and the magic realm everyone’s rich. Including my family.

 

A freshman came up to me after our boy spotting and said, “Um, excuse me, are you Bridget?”

 

“Yeah, what do you want?” I ask.

 

“Um, well I was told to bring this note to you, um, by the headmistress.” She managed to stumble out. My mom is the headmistress, just so you know.

 

“Well give it to me.” I demanded.

 

She handed me the note. When I opened it, she was still there, so I shooed her away. Here’s what the note said:

 
 

Dearest Bridget,

 

I need you in my office right away. We have some very important issues to talk about.

 

- Sincerely Yours.

 

Headmistress Henderson

 
 

My mom is so cheesy. Well since I had to go to her office, what choice did I have? I walked down the hallways to her office, knocked three times and entered.

 

“Bridget, as it said in my note we have something serious to talk about.” she said.

 

“Okay, shoot.” I replied.

 

“Well since you are the student representative of our school, the President, and head of the planning committee, I need you to organize a mixer between us and Briston. The reason being is that there is a new boy at Briston. His name is Cory Preston. I’m sure you’ve heard of him.”

 

“The President’s son is going to BBS?!?” I practically yelled.

 

“Yes, and I’m sure you know that the President is not magical. You see Cory is the son of the seventh son of the seventh son. There is a legend that when that happens that person would be a witch with no inherited powers. Now this makes everything complicated because naturally Cory wouldn’t inherit his powers until his 17th birthday, which means he doesn’t know anything about them. Thankfully we reached him in time. His 17th birthday is coming up, and he still knows nothing about his powers. That’s why I’ve asked you here. I want you to be is school helper. You are to get him accustomed to the idea of powers before his 17th birthday. Now, I’ve invited him over for dinner tonight. That is where we’ll tell him. And that’s about all I wanted to talk to you about.”

 

“What! I have to teach that spoiled brat everything about magic!” I screeched. “Yes, and that’s what the mixer is for. It will be his birthday then. I want a masquerade ball, and that way he can inherit his powers around witches.”

 

“Okay mom, I’m on it, but why do I have to teach him?” I ask.

 

“Well, that’s simple. You are just as powerful as he will be. You are the only witch who can make sure he doesn’t do anything reckless with his powers.”

 

“Fine. What do want me to wear to dinner tonight?”

 

“You have two choices: The black Valentino I got you last fall, or that beautiful red Vera Wang. You have to dress formally because he is very important, and we want him to feel comfortable with us.” she answered.

 

“See you then.” I say and then leave. Wait until I tell Lizzie and Jules.

 
 

“What!”

 

“That’s amazing!!!”

 

That was their reply to my news. “The sad thing is I have to train him in two months. So I’m going to need all your guys’ help with planning the masquerade.”

 

“Well of course we’ll help.” says Jules.

 

“Duh. That’s what friends are for.” includes Lizzie, “But first, let’s talks about what you are going to wear tonight. We only have one hour to get you all glammed up.”

 
 

            I was wearing my black Valentino, sad but true. If I wanted to make the right impression, I had to wear black. I was walking down the hallway to my mom’s private dining room when I bumped into this guy wearing a leather jacket and pants. Casual enough to get away with, but formal enough not to look like you walked off the street.

 

            “You know you’re not supposed to be here,” I tell him. “Its girls and invited guests only, and you sure don’t look like a girl.”

 

            “How do you know I’m not an invited guest?” he asked me.

 

            “Because I would know if you were. I’m very in the loop here.”

 

            “Well you must’ve fallen out of it because I am invited, here’s my invitation, if you want proof.” He handed me a folded piece of paper with Noble’s sign on it. I read it, and then looked up at him.

 

            “You’re Cory Preston! How is that even possible? You don’t look related to the President.”

 

            “My dad knew that if I went on TV he’d lose votes, so I haven’t been on air since I was a kid. Not that that’s stopped me from getting in the papers. Yet you had no idea who I was. How is that possible?” he asked me.

 

            “I don’t pay attention to newspaper articles so much, not about the President anyway.”

 

            “Well at least there’s one sane person in the country, too bad you’re too young to vote.”

 

            “Someday. Maybe you’ll see me in office.”

 

            “I can see it now. The world ending because one headstrong girl became President of the U.S.

 

            The minute I heard this, my bad mood got worse. I narrowed my eyes at him and said, “I am not headstrong! Strong-willed maybe, but definitely not headstrong. And for all you know I’d have a better chance at getting it than you!” “For now, anyway.” I mutter.

 

            “What’s that?” he asked. Guess he heard me.

 

            “Nothing. Absolutely nothing. But you’ll find out soon enough.”

 

            “What is that supposed to mean? Do you know something I don’t?”

 

            “All will be known in good time.” I look at my watch. “Approximately ten minutes.” And with that I was gone.

 

            The nerve of him. I’m going to have to take advantage of his powerless state while I can, since apparently he’s going to be equally as powerful as me. I walk into the room and I see him sitting at the table. “How did you- Where did you- How are you here so fast?” I ask him.

 

            “I have my ways,” he tells me.

 

            “Bridget, sit down. I was just about to tell Cory the news,” my mother tells me. I sit down and she starts talking again. She tells him all about how he’s the son of the seventh son of the seventh son and blah, blah, blah. Finally she tells him he’s a witch.

 

            “What!” he shouts. “Are you people crazy? Witches aren’t real!” His voice was giving me a migraine so I put a mute spell on him. My mom gave me a ‘stern’ look. So I put a deaf spell on him, too.

 

            “I know, it’s wrong. But you can’t tell me you really want to listen to his monologue,” I say.

 

            “That doesn’t mean you go and put a spell on him!” she tells me.

 

            “It doesn’t mean I shouldn’t. Especially if not doing so makes me deaf. It’s not like he can tell. He’s too busy screaming his head off.”

 

            “I don’t care, you take those spells off of him right now!”

 

            “Fine, but you’ll regret it.” I take she spells off and I was wrong. He was finished with his bout by then and he got up and stormed out of the room.

 

            “Now look what you’ve done! If we knew what he said we could fix it,” my mom tells me.

 

            “You’ll find a way to fix it. He’s been kicked out of every other boarding school in the country and in England, he’s not going anywhere.”

 

            “Fine, you are dismissed. Go to your room.”

 


© 2009 Randi Carson


Author's Note

Randi Carson
I know it's like boring in the beginning, but it gets better, I promise!

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

102 Views
Added on March 3, 2009


Author

Randi Carson
Randi Carson

Los Angeles, CA



About
I love New York City. I plan on going to NYU, majoring in creative writing. I either want to be an editor, author, or both. I like to say that I use both sides of my brain and more than 10%. I have ph.. more..

Writing