Chapter 4

Chapter 4

A Chapter by CLCurrie
"

“Didn’t risk anything,” he said. “The Duke Boys are dogs; someone had to put them down.”

"

Abel held his gaze down the road, the car lights cutting a hole through the darkness of the mountains. He could smell the blood on his boots; it wasn’t the first time, and it wasn’t going to be the last time in his life, no matter how much he wished the killing would stop. The Good Lord seemed to have other plans for Abel. His father would always tell him that if he wants to make God laugh, he should tell Him his plans. The statement seemed to become more of a reality in Abel’s cruel life then he liked.

                And yet, the killing seems to have some good for it. Abel was sending those wicked men and women to the Almighty to be judged for their actions. With each death caused by his hand, curling his knuckles around the steering wheel, he was taking out evil in this world while helping those who couldn’t help themselves, like Evangeline sitting next to him.

                She was a tiny thing, almost reminding him of Hope, but Hope had shown him even a tiny woman could still kill. Hope was not a woman to be messed with, but Abel doubted this child next to him could hold a candle to his wife’s skills. She sat there quietly, afraid, rubbing her wrist from the ropes that were around them. The rope burn was nasty. It would be painful for the next few days, and there might be some scars for the rest of her life.

                As she sat there, not saying a word, Abel got the feeling this girl had seen more death in her young life than anyone should. She seemed cold to the fact that she might be heading to meet her end. She almost seems to accept it as a way of life. Some people died, and often, some people killed them.

                It was wrong; she was cold about the idea.

                It was wrong; she had to be saved by Abel.

                He kept driving, not slowing down even when a nasty turn came out. He let the light lead him through the darkness, and like Evangeline, he was cold to the idea of dying. Death wasn’t going to come facing Abel again. He would merely kick the reaper’s teeth in like he did during the war. He didn’t fear Death, but the old smiling scythe feared him.

                “Where are we going?” Evangeline asked.

                “Where do you want to go?” Abel asked.

                “To the sky port in Charleston.”

                “Then to Charleston,” he said. He didn’t smile; he never smiled on the road, but he was glad she was heading to Charleston. His home was near the city, and he was ready to be home. He was always ready to be home.

                “You mean it?”

                “Yes.”

                “You aren’t going to kill me?”

                “Wasn’t planning on it.”

                “You aren’t going to rape me?”

                “Not that kind of man, darling.”

                “What about handing me over?”

                “To whom?”

                “I don’t know,” she shrugged, “one of the families.”

                “Don’t know them,” he said, “if I did, then they would be dead.”

                “What about my father?” she asked, rubbing her wrists and not looking at him. “Did he pay you to get me?”

                “Don’t know him,” he said. “No.”

                “Wouldn’t mind if you killed him,” she said. “So, why did you save me from those pigs?”

                “It’s the right thing to do,” he said, keeping his eyes on the road.

                “What?”

                “You heard me,” he growled.

                “You risked your life for someone you don’t know,” she said, “because it’s the right thing to do?”

                He grunted, nodding.

                “I don’t believe it.”

                “Might want to,” he said, “you’re sitting in my car, not going to change that at all.”

                “You risked your life for me?’

                “Didn’t risk anything,” he said. “The Duke Boys are dogs; someone had to put them down.”

                “Oh,” she said. “Do you know my name?”

                “Does it matter?”

                “You almost died, and you don’t want to know my name?” She asked.

                Abel rolled his eyes and then glanced down the hill. He sighed, making the car come to a hard stop. Evangeline almost flew into the dashboard but caught herself before hitting it. The dust from the road swirled around them. Her eyes were wide as she looked at him, unsure of what was happening. Abel turned toward her and asked, “Why were you in that cabin?”

                “The Duke Boys kidnapped me.”

                “You’re heading to the sky port and hate your father,” he said, “and you won’t me to believe it was just a random event?”

                She sighed, shaking her head. “Does it matter?”

                “To me,” he growled, “it does. Why did the Duke Boys have you? If they were just kidnapping you, then you would have be bloody and raped by now.” He leaned forward with his massive head taking up all her vision. “Tell me the truth.”

                “My father is Willy Arkansas,” she said. “I am Evangeline Arkansas. Do you know who my father is?”

                “No.”

                “Oh,” she said, “he runs the southern families, and he is a son of a b***h.”

                “Fine.”

                “I watched him kill my mother,” she said. “She was going to run away back to her home. We were going to run there, and Willy found out. He beat her to death while I watched.” She dropped her gaze from him, looking down at her hands. “When I could, I ran. I’m going to go live with my grandfather.”

                “Where is your grandfather?”

                “Omega City,” she said. “His name is Lord Gryf Blazestorm, the Counciler of the Golema Guild.”

                “He’ll take you in?”

                “Yes, he gave me his word.”

                Abel growled, shaking his head and reaching into the car's back seat, picking up his hat. He put it on and ordered, “Don’t run, you run, you’ll die. I’ll be right back, stay here.” He opened the car door and stepped out into the night, looking back at her and pointed in her face. “I mean it, you run, people will die if you don’t go first, got me?”               

                “Yes, sir."



© 2024 CLCurrie


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

292 Views
Added on July 30, 2024
Last Updated on July 30, 2024
Tags: #adventurestory #steampunk #hist


Author

CLCurrie
CLCurrie

Harrisburg, NC



About
I am a storyteller who comes from a long line of storytellers. I literally trace my heritage back to some Bards (poets and storytellers) of England. My family, in the tradition of our heritage, would .. more..

Writing
Chapter 1 Chapter 1

A Chapter by CLCurrie


Chapter 2 Chapter 2

A Chapter by CLCurrie


Chapter 3 Chapter 3

A Chapter by CLCurrie