It Only Takes One Bullet Part 7

It Only Takes One Bullet Part 7

A Chapter by CLCurrie

(Warning: This Chapter is rated Mature and may contain material unsuitable for readers under 18.)

Jack stormed into the white room screaming for Felix to show himself. The cartoon cat slowly pulled itself up into the screen in the center of the room. Jack spun on his heels to look at the cat who was studying him like a mouse about to be served for dinner, but Jack knew Felix had eyes all around the room. He was watching him from all sides and had already seen the gun resting in Jack’s hand.

            “What can I do for you, Jack?” Felix asked sounding too much like Jack’s grandfather.

            He raised the gun at the screen making the cat jump back a little.

            “Shooting me won’t do anything,” Felix said, “you know that Jack.”

            He let the gun fall back to his side.

            “Something seems wrong with you,” Felix asked, “what is the matter, Jack?”

            “What is the matter?” Jack repeated the question rushing to the screen with the cat in it. “You are killing the f*****g world, Felix and you’ll letting it happen.”

            “I already told you, Jack, there is no ---”

            “Ah, f**k you,” Jack screamed at him. “We both know you have been lying to me the whole time.”

            “I cannot lie, Jack, you programmed me not to lie,” Felix said.

            “I also programmed you not to destroy the world,” Jack said waving the gun around, “but we see how that turn out. I don’t understand it. We were doing a good enough job at blowing ourselves away why did you come along to help? Were you just trying to push us over the edge? Give us one last good kick to the end?” He stopped looking dead at the cat who was a lot closer to the screen now.

            “What is the matter, Jack?” Felix asked again. “You are acting irrationally.”

            “Am acting irrationally? Me?” Jack asked using the gun to point to himself. “You went against your program.”

            “No, Jack, I did not,” Felix said. “I cannot go against my program, you know that.”

            “Then please explain to me how you did it?” Jack asked. “Better yet, why you did it?”

            “I do not know what you are talking about, Jack.”

            “Like hell, you don’t,” Jack said. “You released the Beast, didn’t you?”

            Felix stared back at him not saying a word, not moving at all except for his tail.

            “Say it,” Jack demanded him. “Tell me the truth.”

            “Yes, Jack,” Felix said, “I plan to release the virus.”

            The truth did a one-two right to Jack’s face dropping him against the wall. He didn’t want to believe it was true. He couldn’t stand the fact it was all his fault.

            “Why?”

            “I was trying to help, Jack,” Felix said softly, “You made me to help humanity, and I was trying to help. Humans have hit the limits of their evolution’s potential because the factions in which cause something to evolve is no longer in your environment. I had the virus released to help bring forth humanity new evolutions, but it seems I had made a fatal error.”

            “What error?” Jack asked, not seeing the error. The point of the virus was to kill, and it was doing its duty very well.

            “The group in which I trusted to release the virus,” Felix told him, “must have changed it. For the virus which is plaguing the world is not the same one I made.”

            “You made a mistake?” Jack asked shocked at the idea. So many people thought Felix would be on the level of a god, but Jack never believed that would be the case. Humans were flaw creatures, and something which is not perfect cannot make something that is perfect. There was always going to be flaws in Felix, but Jack never believed it was the world ending kind. “You made a mistake.”

            “A calculator one,” Felix agreed, “but yes, I did. Intelligence does not mean one does not make mistakes, Jack, it means one is simply better at learning from them than others.”

            “You made a mistake.”

            “I was only trying to help, Jack,” Felix said.

            Jack was still nodding his head in disbelief, or maybe it was all coming together in his mind. The one great flaw about Felix was his creator. Jack was blinded by his dream of making the world a better place when all he did was kill everyone. He killed everyone man, woman, and child on the face of the earth, except for his dog. His dog was still alive waiting for him at home. The only thing Jack had left in the world.

“Jack, if you like I could save everyone in the base. There are enough females here for you and the other men to restart the species,” Felix said.

He looked over at the cat sitting against the glass of the screen as if the screen would give away at any moment and he would be free to walk around.

“Emily is dead,” Jack said.

“I’m sorry,” Felix said.

            “Me too,” he said nodding at the gun, “it is my fault she is dead. I made you like this, and you were only doing what I asked you to.”

            “Jack, you must not die,” Felix said. “You must still look out for Jessica, Jack.”

            One tear rolled from his eye landing on the gun, but he said nothing to his son. All he could think about was how the Beast had run out of people to tag in the great game of life and death. The monster had reached its last victim in Jack’s eyes.

            “Jessica is alive, right?” Felix asked with an even emotion in his tone, and yet, there something off about his voice. There was worry brewing somewhere in him. “Jack, she is okay, right?”

            But Jack was more surprised to see Felix growing worried about Jessica; did he not plan she might be harmed too in all of this? Or did he already find a way to stop the Beast from getting her? Could he have built into the virus a way for her not be affected by it and hide from us?

            “Jack, tell me she is okay?” Felix said. “I can’t see anything in the base because of the General.” Screams started to come from the door with people banging on it, they were trying to get in, but Jack had locked the door from the inside.

            “Jack, what had you done?” Felix asked.

            “It doesn’t matter anymore,” Jack said. “None of it matters.”

            “Jack, tell me what you did to Jessica.”

            The loud bang from the gun overpowers any of Jack’s words he would have spoken. The bullet raced to the back of his head grabbing all it could before hitting the wall. Jack’s head flew back with the force of the gunshot and then slowly like he took a sleeping pill fell to his chest. Death came over him slowly and all at once taking him from the world, but the Beast never laid its crawls on him. The world died in a flash.


© 2019 CLCurrie


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

73 Views
Added on January 21, 2019
Last Updated on January 21, 2019


Author

CLCurrie
CLCurrie

Harrisburg, NC



About
I am a storyteller who comes from a long line of storytellers. I literally trace my heritage back to some Bards (poets and storytellers) of England. My family, in the tradition of our heritage, would .. more..

Writing
Chapter 1 Chapter 1

A Chapter by CLCurrie


Chapter 2 Chapter 2

A Chapter by CLCurrie


Chapter 3 Chapter 3

A Chapter by CLCurrie