The Screaming Times

The Screaming Times

A Poem by Brett Pritchard
"

There’s a terrible storm brewing and it seems to be getting nearer. Karma is a vengeful mistress and the wise know to fear her. It’s not as if we’re ignorant, we see, we know what’s occurring. But we

"

There’s a terrible storm brewing and it seems to be getting nearer. Karma is a vengeful mistress and the wise know to fear her. It’s not as if we’re ignorant, we see, we know what’s occurring. But we aren’t willing to challenge, to stop the madness and the burning.

It was always there you know, the story here isn’t new. Only now it’s the suffering of many where once it was the few. No, scratch that, it isn’t entirely fair. It was only the few we were aware of before, now our enhanced vision means we see it everywhere.

Yes all places and all things, all that suffering and where it all begins. Of course every beginning has an end, every story a denouement. Except that the ending of this story may be final, there may not be any pages left on which to tell a new one.

Stark isn’t it to consider? That all we’re built upon and continue to be is so dark? That the wellness of the world and the securing of its future is to some such a lark?

It’s going out. The light, the hope, the belief that we’re capable of making or even want to help to make tomorrow a place in which we can be safe. The future seen merely as a possibility rather than a fact, we worry only for own sake.

What do we leave behind? What is the legacy of these desperate days of inhumanity? In fact, the legacy may be nothing, tomorrow may be the victim of our calamity.

The door is still open, at least for the moment, but it won’t be for long. Our chances are running thin and the weak are profiting from the blissful ignorance of the strong.

Make tomorrow happen, do what you can to help ensure that the world each day has some sort of meaning. See it through, be that person, help yourself and others, don’t ignore the screaming….

© 2018 Brett Pritchard


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

Interesting and dark take on our lives and the directions its pulled. This seems more of a story to me than a poem. Still it does pull one in and it is interesting to continue line by line. Thank you

Posted 1 Year Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

198 Views
1 Review
Added on July 3, 2018
Last Updated on July 3, 2018
Tags: poetry, reflection, the world, the future, life

Author

Brett Pritchard
Brett Pritchard

Wolverhampton, West Midlans, United Kingdom



About
I'm an experienced writer of varied interests. Was published in Starburst Magazine and Doctor Who Magazine. Something of a man out of time. I enjoy Science Fiction, fantasy, and horror stories. I'm a .. more..

Writing