Where's my desk?

Where's my desk?

A Story by Brett Pritchard
"

Once you were someone. You had it all. Great job, awesome money, own pad.... The works. It's all gone now... For good?

"

 

Where’s my desk?

I don’t seem to have anywhere to sit.

My talents grow rusty in the sunlight of premature retirement.

 

Where am I going?

Did I flash in the pan or am I still cooking?

I need to do. Contribute. Make a difference.

If I’m not making that how can I ever make anything?

 

Time ticks on as my bones quietly age and my introductions grow more apologetic.

If I don’t belong anymore then where is my purpose now?

The search must go on. Find a new purpose.

It s this or nothing, travel or stagnation…

 

I have to keep looking.

Keep asking at every door….

 

Where the hell is my desk?!

 

© 2013 Brett Pritchard


Author's Note

Brett Pritchard
Thanks for reading

BP

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

This captures the feeling that I am sure many have upon retirement...or early retirement. Some people seem to fall right into the rhythm of things, while others seem to long for what once was. My grandfather, who is in his 80's now, still dreams at least three times a week of "running his bread route"--he was a bread delivery man. Even subconciously, he feels as though he should be doing something. When I graduated from college, i was plauged with dreams for at least a year that I was supposed to be going to class, or that I had somehow missed a class and wasn't actually a graduate...haha Luckily I don't dream that way anymore. Anyway, the concept of this one was well executed.

I like the form, and the imagery was honest and forthright. Nice write.

Posted 11 Years Ago


Brett Pritchard

11 Years Ago

Thank you. And thanks also for sharing a very interesting piece of your family history there too.read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

294 Views
1 Review
Added on July 17, 2013
Last Updated on July 17, 2013
Tags: Unemplyment, stagnation, jobs, money, discontent, depression, life

Author

Brett Pritchard
Brett Pritchard

Wolverhampton, West Midlans, United Kingdom



About
I'm an experienced writer of varied interests. Was published in Starburst Magazine and Doctor Who Magazine. Something of a man out of time. I enjoy Science Fiction, fantasy, and horror stories. I'm a .. more..

Writing