Christmas Family Matters

Christmas Family Matters

A Chapter by Brendan2k5
"

Marie relives the Nativity Story firsthand.

"

 

---

 

Chapter 23: Christmas Family Matters

 

---

 

A/N: I'll say it now—here's where Christmas Family Matters is inserted. I added some notes throughout the chapter as cutoff points. If you want to stop reading and just go to the next chapter, go right ahead. You'll know what I mean shortly. I'll say it again—if you want to stop here, by all means do so. The rest of the chapter may be considered 'offensive' to those who are not a member of a Christian Denomination.

 

 

---

 

Peace. It was the first thing I discovered when my father came for me. Before he came, I never knew peace. Now that I have it I am able to think about living my life how I want to. There, however is the problem—I'm not sure I like the openness of it all. “Spare change?” Some homeless guy begged as I walked through a park.

 

“I've got no cash.” I quickly reply before hurrying to catch a bus. When I get on the bus I see how crowded it is. Everyone is trying to get home before the big blizzard comes later tonight. Unable to find a seat I opt to stand near the rear exit door. This way I can quickly jump off and run away in case of trouble. The bus stops in front of a hospital and a man with a broken leg gets on. I watch in disgust as none of the able-bodied people sitting at the front of the bus offer their seat to him. I can tell he'll probably have to go back to the hospital in this kind of weather if he stands the whole time.

 

When I reach my stop I get off and walk home. Along the way I pass by a house sealed off by the police—someone broke in, killed the occupants and took everything they owned. After doing that they set the house on fire to hide what they'd done. I quicken my pace and run into my house. After making sure to lock the door securely, I hand up my coat, go to my room and lie on my bed where I start sobbing uncontrollably. After crying for what feels like hours a feel I hand on my shoulder. I look up and see that it is my stepmother, Ann. “What happened, Marie?” She asked with a look of concern. “Are you ok?”

 

“I...I had no idea America had so many problems.” I replied. “How can the most powerful country in the world have such little respect for human life? It just seems so...wrong...”

 

“That's because it is.” she replied. “This country was founded during the late 18th century with the hope that men and women would be able to live freely. It may not be perfect but we can at least speak out against injustice. People in other parts of the world can't even do that.”

 

“I know, but now Americans are the ones doing the persecuting!”I exclaimed. “Two years ago, police in New York shot a man 50 times on his wedding day. A week before that, several people were robbed over a video game system. Not only that, I saw several able-bodied people refuse to give up their seat for a passenger with a broken leg. How can that be considered ok—in America?”

 

“America may be the most powerful country in the world but it's not as 'fruitful' as many immigrants hope it is.” Ann explained. “Seventeen years ago, a man killed his pregnant wife in this city and told police a black man did it. That incident forever destroyed the fragile peace between the city's black and white residents and because of the immediate reaction, it has gained the reputation of being a 'Racist City' even though it's not. Boston is a city rich with history, both good and bad but I still like to call it home. It took the Red Sox 86 years but when they won the world Series four years ago it showed the whole world that nothing is impossible.”

 

“I still don't think it's ok.” I said sternly. “If it were up to me I'd purge the world of all evil. That way I'd be able to spend more time with my Dad.”

 

“I think that's something you should talk to God about.” Ann replied with a mysterious smile. “You may yet find this hard to believe but there is a reason God is allowing this to happen. I have to go make dinner now so I'll leave you alone for awhile.” And then she left. I didn't know what she was talking about but if God was allowing this to happen I think it was time I asked him to do something about it.

 

“Dear Lord, please help me to understand the reason for all the chaos and destruction going rampant in the world.” I began. “Can this truly be your will? Millions of people are dying everyday! You, who sent Jesus to die for us surely must not have had this in mind. Please help me to understand the meaning for all this. This I ask in Jesus name, Amen.” When I opened my eyes I saw my father standing in front of me. I found this strange since I didn't even hear him come into the room.

 

“That is a prayer I once did many years ago.” He remarked. “I got my answer to it the same day, too. It it may seem harsh but the state of the world is indeed God's will. It's not that different from how it was when Jesus was born, either. All of this has to happen before Jesus comes back.”

 

“It's just...so cruel...” I replied. “It makes me feel sad just thinking about it.”

 

“How do you thing God feels?” He said. “His son had to die so we don't. Do you think that's fair?”

 

“No...” I trailed. “And I already know God loved the world so much that he sent his only son to die so that whoever believes he is Christ will not perish but have eternal life (John 3:16). I just don't see why, though. It all seems like it was for nothing.”

 

“Leave it to God and he'll help you understand.” Dad replied with a smile. ”First, there is something I want to show you.”

 

“What is it?” I asked as I walked over to him. He picked up the bible on my bookshelf and opened it. After putting a bookmark somewhere in the New Testament he hurtled it at the light, breaking the bulb and making the room very dark. That's when I realized I wasn't in my room anymore.

 

“Welcome to the beginning of time.” He began. “After creating the world in six days, God is resting on the seventh day. This is the state of the world before sin is introduced.”

 

“It seems so vibrant and alive.” I said as we walked through the Garden of Eden. “Where are the people?”

 

“Right this way.” Dad said before taking me to another part of the Garden. We entered a clearing just in time to see a man and a woman eating the fruit of a tree. It took me a split second to realize who they were and what they were eating.

 

“NO!” I exclaimed as broke into a run. Alas, a came too late. Right after they finished eating I heard the voice of God.

 

“I had but one commandment for you to adhere to and you have broken it.” He said. “What is this you have done?” (Genesis 3:13)

 

“The serpent tricked me into eating it.” Eve replied. Then I noticed the long dragon that had wrapped itself around the tree.

 

"Because you have done this, you are cursed more than all cattle and more than every beast of the field.” God declared. “On your belly you shall go, and you shall eat dust all the days of your life. I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your seed and her seed. He shall bruise your head, And you shall bruise his heel (Genesis 3:15).” I watched the dragon turn into a snake as God spoke. Sounds like God wasn't very happy to see the peace he'd made forever destroyed.

 

"I will greatly multiply your sorrow and your conception.” God continued. “In pain you shall bring forth children. Your desire shall be for your husband, and he shall rule over you (Genesis 3:16).”

 

“That's why childbirth is painful.” Dad explained.

 

"Because you have heeded the voice of your wife, and have eaten from the tree of which I commanded you, saying, 'You shall not eat of it', "Cursed is the ground for your sake.” God said to Adam. “In toil you shall eat of it all the days of your life. Both thorns and thistles it shall bring forth for you, and you shall eat the herb of the field. In the sweat of your face you shall eat bread till you return to the ground, For out of it you were taken. For dust you are, and to dust you shall return (Genesis 3:17-19).”

 

“And this is where death becomes a reality for humanity.” Dad added. “Because of the actions of the first man and woman, the world is destined for Eternal Damnation.”

 

“NO!” I exclaimed. “That's not fair. Because of them the whole world is the way it is. This can't be right!”

 

"Behold, man has become like one of us, to know good and evil.” God said as Adam and Eve left Eden. “And now, lest he put out his hand and take also of the tree of life, and eat, and live forever, they shall never eat of its fruit again (Genesis 3:22).” When I tried to touch the tree of life I felt some kind of wall stopping me.

 

“Let's go.” Dad said as he took my hand. As we walked I saw many events happening: The Great Flood, The Israelites in Egypt, Israel conquering Canaan and Elijah proving to his people that the one true God is all they need.

 

“Where are we going?” I asked.

 

“Here.” He said as we stood before the City of Babylon. “There's something I want you to see.”

 

"To you it is commanded, O peoples, nations, and languages that at the time you hear the sound of the horn, flute, harp, lyre, and psaltery, in symphony with all kinds of music, you shall fall down and worship the gold image that King Nebuchadnezzar has set up.” We heard someone say as we entered the courtyard. “And whoever does not fall down and worship shall be cast immediately into the midst of a burning fiery furnace (Daniel 3:4-6).”

 

“W-What?!” I exclaimed in shock when I realized where we were. I looked and saw every knee bowed and every eye lowered except for three. Enraged, the king sent his soldiers to bring them before him.

 

"Is it true, Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego, that you do not serve my gods or worship the gold image which I have set up?” He asked them. “Now if you are ready at the time you hear the sound of the horn, flute, harp, lyre, and psaltery, in symphony with all kinds of music, and you fall down and worship the image which I have made, good! But if you do not worship, you shall be cast immediately into the midst of a burning fiery furnace. And who is the god who will deliver you from my hands? (Daniel 3:13-15).”

 

"O Nebuchadnezzar, we have no need to answer you in this matter.” They replied firmly. “If that is the case, our God whom we serve is able to deliver us from the burning fiery furnace, and he will deliver us from your hand, O king. But if not, let it be known to you, O king, that we do not serve your gods, nor will we worship the gold image which you have set up." Enraged, King Nebuchadnezzar ordered his men to heat the furnace seven times hotter than usual. As the youths were cast into the furnace the flames licked up and incinerated the soldiers who threw them in. I could only watch in horror.

 

"Did we not cast three men bound into the midst of the fire?" He suddenly asked his advisors.

 

"True, O king." They replied.

 

"Look!" he exclaimed. "I see four men loose, walking in the midst of the fire; and they are not hurt, and the form of the fourth is like the Son of God (Daniel 3:25).”

 

“Jesus?!” I exclaimed. Then everything went dark again. Dad opened a door and we were in what looked like Palestine. “Where are we?”

 

“In occupied Israel.” He replied. “The Roman Empire rules much of the known world. The Praetorians treat their denizens like animals and everyone is treated poorly. No one seems to care about anyone anymore. Sound familiar?” I nodded. “Here you will find the answer to your prayer, Marie. Here you will see that God had a plan in place for the sin of the first Adam and Eve.”

 

“You mean Jesus.” I said. “Where is he?” Hearing no answer I turned and saw that my father had disappeared. “Dad? Where are you?”

 

This is something for you and you only, my child.” I heard a voice say. “Prepare to bear witness to the awesome power that is the love of God.”

 

“Who are you?” I asked the voice. “And where are you?”

 

“I am that I am.” The voice replied. “The Holy Spirit which guides hearts of man on the path of righteousness. Don't be afraid, for I am here to guide you to the greatest gift ever given to the world. You must first go to the house of Joseph. It can be found near the well. From there you will be told what to do.”

 

I walked down the down the road, being cautious not to trip over anything or anyone. My clothing earned a few odd stares from the townsfolk but I shrugged it off. When I reached the right house I knocked on the door. “Who is it?” someone on the other side asked.

 

“A stranger that is within thy gates.” I replied. “My name is Marie. I have come to the house of Joseph in search of him.” There was a brief pause before the door creaked open. Standing on the other side was a girl who looked to be close to my age, possibly a little younger. She had dark black hair that flowed down her shoulders and her eyes were full of kindness. I was at a loss of words because I knew exactly who she was.

 

“The master is not home right now.” She said to me, reverting my attention back to why I originally came. “What business do you have with him?”

 

“I...” I started and then closed my mouth. If I told her how I'd come she might not take it so well.

 

Tell her you are a traveler in need of a place to rest.” the voice said. “She will let you in.”

 

“I'm a traveler in need to rest.” I told her. “I've traveled a long way and I am exhausted. Will you please let me stay the night?”

 

“I...suppose.” She replied slowly. “Come in. I'll give you something to eat.” She led the way into the kitchen where she'd just finished cooking some stew. She put some on a plate along with some bread and handed it to me, which I began to eat. I didn't have to look to know she was staring at the clothes I was wearing. “What is manner of clothing you wear?” She asked me.

 

“It's called a sweatshirt.” I explained with a smile. “It keeps me warm at night. This food is delicious, Ma--” I stopped myself before I finished saying her name. I knew who she was but she didn't know I knew that.

 

“What is it?” She asked with a confused look on her face.

 

“I don't believe you told me your name.” I replied sheepishly.

 

“My name is Mary.” She said. “I'm engaged to marry Joseph, whose lineage can be traced back to King David.” As I finished eating she told me more about herself. When she told me she was 16 I looked up with a look of surprise. We were the same age! Upon finishing the meal I realized I was very sleepy. Mary led me to their guest room where I fell asleep as soon as I lay down.

 

---

 

“Good morning, everyone.” I said as I came down stairs the next day. When I entered the kitchen I found Mary and Joseph cooking breakfast.

 

“So you are the girl Mary told me about.” Joseph said when I saw me. “Where do you come from, friend?”

 

“I come from America.” I replied with a smile. They both looked at me with a look of confusion Then I remembered what the time period I was currently in was. “It's very far from here.” I explained and then added dejectedly “And I have no idea how I will be able to get back.”

 

“I'm sure the Lord will show you a way.” Joseph said reassuringly. “Just you see.” At that moment a song I'd never heard before came to mind.

 

“My father in heaven who reigns with power and glory they kingdom eternal thy word is everlasting.” I began.

 

“Almighty Creator who rules a vast dominion enduring forever through countless generations.

 

Praise the Lord from the Highest of Mountains! Praise the Lord from the Lowest of Valleys!

 

For as long as I live I will give you praise!

 

 

I lift my hands to you in the heavens where you reign! I lift my hands to you in the glory of your name! And to the wonder of your love I lift my hands...” When I finished the song Mary and Joseph were speechless.

 

“Such a beautiful song.” Mary remarked. “You have an amazing voice.”

 

“I still can't believe it just came into my mind.” I replied. “I've never heard it before.”

 

“The Lord seems to have a plan for you, young friend.” Joseph replied. “Give it some time and he will show you what it is.” After breakfast, Joseph went to work at the Carpenter's shop where he was an apprentice. Mary, meanwhile went to pick some flowers from the field. To satisfy my own curiosity, I secretly followed her.

 

As she walked in the field, a man dressed in white approached her. I recognized him as an angel from heaven. "Rejoice, highly favored one for the Lord is with you” He greeted. “Blessed are you among women!" When she saw him, she was quite disturbed about the way he spoke and considered what manner of greeting this was (Mark 1:28-29). "Do not be afraid Mary, for you have found favor with God.” The angel continued. “And behold, you will conceive in your womb and bring forth a Son and shall call His name Jesus. He will be great, and will be called the Son of the Highest and the Lord God will give Him the throne of His father David. He will reign over the house of Jacob forever, and of His kingdom there will be no end (Mark 1:29-33).”

 

“How can this be?” She asked the angel.

 

"The Holy Spirit will come upon you, and the power of the Highest will overshadow you.” The Angel replied, “Therefore also, the Holy One who is to be born will be called the Son of God (Mark 1:35) for with God, nothing will be impossible (Mark 1:36).”

 

"Behold the maidservant of the Lord!” She declared. “Let it be to me according to your word." And the angel departed from her (Mark 1:38).

 

“You are so lucky!” I exclaimed, getting her attention. “Out of all the women on earth, you are his chosen one.”

 

“Thank you, but what are you doing here?” She asked.

 

“I was on my way to my next destination when I happened to pass this way.” I replied. “I saw everything and I must say that truly, you are blessed. Never again will there be another so highly favored by God.”

 

“I must go home.” she said with a sense of urgency. “I must tell Joseph the news.”

 

“Best of luck with everything!” I exclaimed as we parted ways. “Thanks for having me over!” As she walked away, I felt a surge of satisfaction. A moment later, I was falling. When I landed, I realized I was no longer in Nazareth. “Where...am I...?”

 

“That would be Bethlehem down the road.” a traveler said as he walked by. “Everybody's going to their place of birth by order of the Romans.”

 

“This can't be right...” I trailed. “A moment ago I was in Nazareth...” That's when I saw them. Walking down the path was Joseph and a very pregnant Mary.

 

“Well, this is a surprise!” Mary said when she saw me. “When last I saw you, we were in Nazareth. I turned once more and you simply vanished.”

 

“I'm still trying to figure out HOW.” I replied with a smile. “There is so much light in you, Mary.”

 

“And I can feel the presence of the Lord with you as well, Marie.” Joseph replied with a laugh. “It seems the Lord has arranged for us to meet here, of all places! Come, let us go into Bethlehem and find a room.” As we traveled through the town we quickly discovered it packed with people scurrying to register for the census per order of the Roman Empire.

 

“I think the baby's coming.” Mary said after Joseph returned from registering for the census.

 

“We're going to need to find a room, then.” I said as I started looking around. After searching for several hours, Joseph and I were unable to find a room which in this case, would be a bad thing. We knew for sure that the baby would not wait much longer.

 

“I think I saw a barn near the edge of town.” Joseph said after confirming every single Inn in Bethlehem was full. “There were animals there but it looked like a safe place to stay the night.”

 

“It will have to do for now.” Mary replied. “Please take me there.” Joseph led the way to the small barn. There were cows, sheep and a horse. And a VERY bad smell.

 

“This is disgusting!” I exclaimed as I held my nose.

 

“And from it shall be born the Son of God.” Joseph added. And Mary brought forth her firstborn Son, and wrapped Him in swaddling clothes and laid Him in a manger, because there was no room for us in the inn (Luke 2:7-8).

 

“He's so pretty.” I remarked with a smile. “And so tiny.”

 

“Is that singing?” Joseph asked as we heard something from outside. When I went outside I could see a choir of angels singing to proclaim the blessed event it was.

 

"Glory to God in the highest and on earth, peace and goodwill toward men!" An angel proclaimed with a loud voice. As the night went on several shepherds came to see the Baby Jesus. Apparently, the angels announced the birth of Christ to all the world. When they saw the child they knew that this was indeed a blessed occasion.

 

---

 

A/N: Ok, time out for a minute. I figure I say this for accuracy before I continue. There is some debate as to weather the three who visited Jesus were Kings or just Wise Men. After all, there's the song 'We Three Kings' that implies that they are kings but traditionally, they are referred to as Wise Men. Well, thanks to Blue Letter Bible (dot com) it is with complete confidence that I can tell you that they are Wise Men, also called Magi in the New International Version of the Bible.

 

One of them is believed to have come from Saudi Arabia, the others what is today India and Mongolia. It's highly doubtful their countries of origin would be able to function normally if their leaders (also considered the spokesman for their deities at the time) traveled over 1,000 miles to see a newborn that was not only a foreigner but one who would one day put an end to all earthly kingdoms and set up his own.

 

Oh, and the Wise Men saw Jesus BEFORE the Holy Family fled to Egypt. XD

 

---

 

 

“Where is the child who will one day be king?” We heard someone say. That's when three men adorned in elegant robes strode in. When they say Jesus lying in the manger, they fell down and began to worship him (Matthew 2:11). Then they presented the child with Gold, Frankincense and Myrrh, which the parents gratefully accepted.

 

“This must be how Hannah felt when she dedicated Samuel to the Lord.” Mary said when everyone had left. “Still, I can't help but feel fearful for the life he will live.”

 

“According to the scriptures, he will save his people from their sins.” I remarked before quoting John 3:16.

 

“Yes...” Joseph trailed sadly. “That means that one day, the child will...” And then the two of them broke down crying. They now fully realized what this meant.

 

“He is the Lamb of God, who takes away the sin of the world (John 1:29).” I said. “Born into sin so we may live again, the precious Lamb of God.” Right then, one of the walls faded away. What appeared next was Jesus' dying on the cross, his followers crying at the foot of it.

 

Behold the price that had to paid to redeem this world.” I heard the from before voice say. At this point I was no longer in Bethlehem. The scene chanced to Jesus' ascending into Heaven. “By willingly sacrificing his life, it is possible for all who believe in him to have eternal life when he returns.”

 

“I know, but it's been nearly 2008 years since then.” I replied as images from the last 200 years began to appear. “Almost all of the prophecies foretold have been fulfilled!”

 

“Except one.” I heard Sad say as he appeared out of nowhere. “All that's left is for Jesus to return, whenever that may be.”

 

“Is there any way for us to know when that is?” I asked him. “There were signs leading up to his First Advent, after all.”

 

“And there are signs leading up to the second.” Dad said. “The Books of Revelation and Daniel, in particular provide much information. All that has been going on must happen before he comes. That and every last man, woman and child on earth must know about Jesus before he can come. That was the task Jesus left to his followers before he went to heaven.”

 

“The world has over ten billion people on it.” I remarked. “And new ones are born every day. Not to mention there are so many Christian Denominations. How do I know which is the right one...?”

 

“For that one, I think we should talk at home.” Dad replied with a laugh. And just like that, I was back in my room—alone. The broken light bulb shards were strewn about with my bible in the middle of my bed.

 

“Now that was strange....” I trailed before cleaning up the glass. After doing that, I went downstairs and saw Dad reading something in his office.

 

---

 

“That was an amazing experience.” Marie said as she walked in. “I'll never forget it!”

 

“You're telling me.” I replied with a smile. “Though, to be honest I have no idea what you're talking about.”

 

“What?!” She exclaimed in shock. “But you were there! You were there at the beginning and you were there at the end, too! You must be joking!”

 

“Seriously Marie, I have no idea what you're talking about.” I said. “Please sit and tell me everything that happened.” When she recounted the story of how she relived the Nativity, I was amazed. With the amount of detail she was using I knew there was no way she could be making it up. “Still, the fact of the matter is I was not there.” I said when she finished.

 

“How can this be?” She asked. “There's no way it could be anyone--” And then she stopped herself mid-sentence. “Dad, I think that was Jesus!”

 

“Are you sure?” I asked.

 

“It's the only possible explanation!” she exclaimed. “He answered my prayer and goodness, he answered it so fast!”

 

“What prayer?” I asked.

 

“Dear Lord, please help me to understand the reason for all the chaos and destruction going rampant in the world.” She recited. As she said it I felt tears welling up. “Can this truly be your will? Millions of people are dying everyday! You, who sent Jesus to die for us surely must not have had this in mind. Please help me to understand the meaning for all this. This I ask in Jesus name, Amen.” When she finished the tears had already began to fall.

 

“I...I said that same prayer when I was your age.” I said after regaining some composure. “I believe you now. It seems the Lord has something important planned for you if he would show you these things.”

 

“When I asked him what Christian Denomination would be best, he said I should ask you.” She said. “Can you...tell me?”

 

---

 

A/N: This is the final cutoff point for those who are not members of the Seventh Day Adventist Church. I encourage you to read on but if you don't want to, skip to the next chapter.

 

---

 

“Yes.” I replied, my face more serious now. “I'm sure you've noticed that while a lot of your friends and much of the world goes to Church on Sunday, we choose to honor Saturday as the Seventh-Day Sabbath.” She nodded. “Like those of the Jewish and Islamic faith, we believe Saturday—not Sunday—was the day appointed by God to be the day of rest. We honor that by not doing any work on the Seventh Day from sunset Friday to Sunset Saturday. We are known as the Church of the Seventh Day Adventists.”

 

“If that's true, then why do so many people choose to honor Sunday?” She asked. “Do they...hate God?”

 

“I wouldn't go that far.” I replied with a laugh. “Sometime after Jesus returned to heaven, a Roman Emperor became a Christian. This would not have been such a bad thing if not for one thing—he made a decree that stated Sunday would be the new Sabbath that everyone should observe. The Roman Catholic Church, which arose when the Roman Empire was destroyed by Western Europe strictly enforced that law unto all of the known world at the time. The Crusades against the Jews and The Holocaust were two major efforts in an attempt to prevent the world from knowing the truth. I'm not saying the Pope and Catholics in general are evil—they're just people like you and me, after all. Most people go along with the status quo.”

 

“What do you believe, father?” She asked me.

 

“I believe in the Second Coming of Jesus Christ.” I replied. “That is the affirmation of Adventists the world over, as is it mine. What about you?”

 



© 2008 Brendan2k5


Author's Note

Brendan2k5
Feel free to skip this chapter if you find it offensive.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

131 Views
Added on February 21, 2008


Author

Brendan2k5
Brendan2k5

Boston, MA



About
I'm a Writery by hobby and up until recently my work has only been up for public viewing at my own website and Fictionpress. I've written many stories since 8th Grade and have decided to bring my newe.. more..

Writing
Backlash Backlash

A Chapter by Brendan2k5


Pardoning Pardoning

A Chapter by Brendan2k5