Harnessing the Guardians

Harnessing the Guardians

A Chapter by Brendan2k5
"

Ted, Abyssion and Hannah are given the title of Champions of Earth and are charged with its protection. Their first Mission: stop the President's Assassination!

"

 

---

 

Chapter 21: Harnessing the Guardians

 

---

 

 

“Who’d have thought she’d be dead already?” I said as Marie and I stared at Julie’s freshly and hastily prepared grave. Her newborn was buried in the same coffin as its mother. “Though, now that I think of it, it’s ironic. I must’ve been crazy to think I could have a relationship with—never mind.”

 

“Oh.” Marie remarked, now knowing how the sentence was going to end. “Do you…think I blame you for what happened?”

 

“No, not really.” I replied. “It’s just I remembered I was married to two women and at the same time I met your mother. I was going to say I would have children with four different women buy seeing as Julie is dead, we now know that won't be the case. Maybe I should just count my blessings and be content with what I have.”

 

“You’re as amazing as I’ve heard.” Marie remarked. “A beast in battle but calm and refined among friends and family. You're a skilled swordsman, you can spellcast, you're good with machines and I hear you can even summon. No wonder so many people look up to you!”

 

“Hopefully, those who do look up to me do it for all the right reasons.” I replied with a laugh. “I’m far from perfect, you know. Still, it’s time I got ready to go. Ann, Hannah and Terra are also leaving to train and I’d prefer it if you wait for me in Boston. We’ll need someone to take care of Nick, Alana, Serenity and T.J.”

 

“What about Fin and Celes’ children?” she asked.

 

“Midas and Katrin are taking them in on Kyomora.” I explained. “And Sheena has agreed to take care of Ted Toss III. Now that everyone’s covered, do you have any other concerns I should know about? They are your brothers and sisters, you know.”

 

“I know, I know.” She said. “This is all just so new to me. A new family just like that!”

 

“If that’s all, you can talk to Angel.” I replied with a laugh before walking away. “I’ll see you when I get back.”

 

---

 

“It looks like it’s time for me to go.” I said after packing everything I would need in Boston.

 

“Do you have to go?” Leon asked me. “And why now?”

 

“It’s just something that I have to do.” I replied. “Everyone’s getting themselves ready and I want to be ready, too. As a Spellcaster you can understand that.”

 

“As a Spellcaster, yes.” He said. “But as your friend…”

 

“How could you just leave us like this?” Haley reasoned. “It’s not like you HAVE to go!”

 

“I know, but it’s something that I just have to do.” I said as held the sword Zenith gave me. “Listen. Up until I came to Boston I was always made to believe I’d never amount to anything. Ever since I came here I’ve done a lot more than that. I want to see how much farther I go with my magic. Once I've gone as far as I can, I've got to master this sword my brother gave me. Leon Parker, I hope you’re here when I get back. We’re going to have the duel I promised you.”

 

“In that case, I’ll go on a journey too.” He said. “I want to be ready for when you return. That way, neither of us can say the other wasn’t fully prepared. Deal?”

 

“It’s a deal.” I replied as we shook hands.

 

---

 

“It’s been awhile since we trained together, sister.” I said as we entered a large field on Kyomora. “Then again, there’s no other person I would rather have as a training partner!”

 

“You and me both, brother!” She exclaimed. “I sent Evelyn, Rocky and Talen to earth to train as well. I wanted them to hone their skills on a planet they didn’t know as well as this one.”

 

“Do you think they’ll be alright?” I asked.

 

“Of course.” I replied as she entered a fighting stance, her Flame Lance at the ready. “Now…prepare yourself!”

 

---

 

“This looks to be as good a spot as any.” I said after climbing to the top of Mount Everest. “Whew…that was quite a trek! Ted…Dad…Ted…I hope you’re all watching…”

 

---

 

“It’s been a long time.” I remarked as I stood in Boston Harbor, my Aqua Blade glowing as I began to summon. “Still, the time has come, Leviathan. I beseech thee, submit to me by the contract of the Aqua Blade. My name is Ted Toss. Arise, Master of the Deep! The Sea, Oceans and all contained within. I summon thee! Come, Leviathan!” With that, I held the sword up high, the summoning rune surrounding me glowing. On the horizon I could see and hear Leviathan approaching me. His head broke above the surface as he swam hastily towards me. I walked across the water to meet him.

 

“Greetings, master of the Aqua Blade.” He said. “It has been many years since we last spoke.”

 

“Yes…” I replied. “I will need your support for the coming war. I know I didn’t summon you during the last one but this one is different.”

 

“I see.” He remarked. “And what of those who have a contract with Ann-Marie?”

 

“She is speaking with them right now.” I replied. “They all will understand what is at stake here. Lycos must be stopped at all costs. If we’re lucky we might be able to prevent a war from starting at the same time…”

 

---

 

One Year Later...

 

 

“Now who would want me to come all the way out here?” I said when I reached the top of Mount Washington in New Hampshire. “I hope this isn’t some kind of prank!” I received a letter a month ago asking that I come to the top of Mt. Washington but not much was said beyond that.

 

“Trust me when I say this is anything but a thoughtless prank, Angela.” I familiar voice said. I turned and saw Leon standing atop a huge boulder. “I arranged this time because I knew there wouldn’t be any other people around. Having trained for a full year I can say that you and I have a lot to look forward to.”

 

“Well said!” I exclaimed as I took out Meteor Storm. “Let it begin!” I was about to open the book when I saw that Leon had finished the incantation for the spell he was about to use.

 

“With the power of everlasting winter, prepare to feel my strength—Sub Zero!” He said as he cast his most powerful spell. The air went from humid to freezing almost instantly. Everything on the mountain began to crystallize as well. I was so surprised I almost didn't react at all.

 

“Time to heat things back up.” I said as I opened Meteor Storm. “Wildfire!” The air came alive with fire that not only melted the ice but also incinerated all plant life. Leon was already starting another spell.

 

“Gentle winds, gather before me and transform into blades of air—Cyclone!” He said before a twister pulled me from the ground and sent me flying into the air.

 

“Whoa!” I exclaimed after barely missing a trip down the side of the mountain. Now I was officially mad. “I’ll show you the meaning of true power--Indignation Judgement!” A huge magic circle surrounded Leon. Before he could figure out what was going on, he was struck several times by lightning bolts.

 

After the final strike, a sword of light fell from the sky and plunged itself into him. The spell ended with one final blast of light before everything faded. Leon however, was very still. “That wind attack really had me worried.” I said as I walked over to him. “Too bad you made me use one my super-powerful spells! Now here’s one more—Resurrection!” And with that, Leon’s broken body was fully restored.

 

“What power…” He managed to say. “Despite the intense training I went through, it still wasn’t enough…”

 

“Maybe some other time you’ll be able to match me.” I replied reassuringly. “I simply have too many important things to do to be stopped right now. Innocent lives are at stake. My brother gave me something to work for. The world is in danger. Maybe when everything is taken care of I’ll give you a rematch.”

 

“Maybe…” he said thoughtfully. “I’ll look forward to a rematch with you for sure!” The sound of my cell phone going off stopped the conversation. After talking for a few minutes it was time for me to head out.

 

“That was Marie.” I said to Leon. “It seems Dad wants us all to head for home—including you.”

 

“Me?” He asked in surprise.

 

“Your guess is as good as mine.” I replied. “Now come on, I’ll use my teleport spell to get us there!”

 

---

 

“Ted’s going to go nuts when he finds out I made a contract with you.” I said with a laugh before Julie Frost’s gravesite. “Still, I just happen to need your power and--”

 

“Come on Ann, let’s go!” Tom shouted from the hangar. “We’re ready to fly to New England with or without you!”

 

“Either way I’ll get there before you!” I shot back with a hint of annoyance. Still, I grabbed my Nebula Shot and ran for the waiting jet. When I got to the runway, Tom had already taken off. “You Dumbass!” I shouted after him before casting. “Teleport!” In the next moment, I was on the plane. I walked over to where Tom was sitting and kicked him in the face.

 

“I told you we were leaving.” Tom said as he rubbed the footprint I left on his face.

 

“You’re lucky I don’t just throw you off mid-flight.” I shot back. “That’s what I'd really like to do to you.”

 

---

 

“Yo, Ted!” I heard Hannah say as she came into the house. “Everybody’s—“ And then she saw who I was talking to. She reached for her sword but I signaled for her to stop. “What’s going on?”

 

“Tell everyone to come into the backyard.” I said before turning back to my current guests. “I want you to repeat to them what you just told me. If this is indeed true, we may be in quite a bit of trouble.”

 

“What are they doing here?” I heard Ann say as she came in.

 

“Ted, what’s going on?” Tom repeated.

 

“Ted, say something!” Hannah exclaimed. “Tell us why Abyssion and his kids are here?!”

 

---

 

“Well, if you must know, we’re here to join you.” said Abyssion. This earned a look of shock from everyone except myself, Ted and Marina.

 

“No freaking way…” Celes trailed. “You expect us to trust YOU?”

 

“We all watched you kill a a mother and her baby last year!” Terra exclaimed. “How do we know this isn’t some kind of trick?!”

 

“Because 36 new Guardians just went active.” Ted replied. This time, even I was surprised.

 

“Come again?” Ann asked in shock.

 

“It happened 12 hours ago.” Ted started. “I gave our friend upstairs a call and he made 36 more Guardians for us. After finding the first six on my own, I came here looking to call you the rest of you back to help. That’s when I found the other 30 in the backyard. It seems Abyssion and his kids went well out of their way to get them all during the past year. If that’s not what’s shocking enough, what he said next gave me the chills.”

 

“And what was that?” I asked. “Come on, don’t keep us in suspense!”

 

“Just repeat what you told me.” He said to Abyssion. “I still haven’t fully processed it myself.”

 

“You, me and Ted have been chosen by The Almighty to be the Champions of the World.” He said.

 

“What the hell is that supposed to mean?” asked Katrin. “And aren’t you the son of the devil? I don't mean to sound blasphemous but I think God made a big mis--” That was all she said before Alex covered her mouth.

 

“Finish that sentence and YOU will be speaking blasphemy.” he warned.

 

“As everybody probably knows by now, we each hold one third of The Trinity Blade.” Ted started. “When they are combined, whoever wields it will have limitless power. That power includes the ability to kill divine beings. Well, seeing as we’ve used our swords for different things we’ve been appointed as champions of the world. I am the Champion of Wisdom. With the Time Blade, I not only have the knowledge of all time at my disposal but I will also deliver judgment upon those who would dare break the delicate balance we have.”

 

“I’m the Champion of Courage.” said Abyssion. “My knowledge of the world has kept me alive for 3,000 years. Thanks to the Gravity Blade I’ve fought in every major world conflict on earth and skilled in the ways of the war. Only another Champion can hope to defeat me.”

 

”That makes me the Champion of Power, then.” I finished. “With the Energy Blade, I have proven that impossible is nothing. As the strongest of the three I can hold out much longer than others and push myself farther. Anyone foolish enough to challenge me will be in for a world of pain!” At that moment, our swords began to glow. We unsheathed them in time to see the blade fade away...only to be replaced with another, more powerful blade. I felt the new power rushing through me as wings appeared on my back. Ted and Abyssion's wings appeared as well.

 

“With this, the contract has been made.” Ted said as he held his sword. “Mind you, I’m a bit skeptical about all of this but since Abyssion DID go out of his way to get the Guardians, I’ll consider the debt he and his family have incurred paid in full.”

 

“There is another reason.” Abyssion remarked. “It’s the only reason I agreed to do this, really.”

 

---

 

“Lycos.” I finished. “ I should’ve known. I’d heard you wanted to be the one to kill him. Maybe now you’ll get a second chance since he’s alive again.”

 

“We’ll see…” He trailed as he sheathed his blade. “We will see…”

 

“Hey, what’s this sword called?” I heard Hannah say as she examined the other Guardians.

 

“That’s Excalibur.” I explained as she picked it up. “And no, it’s not the same one supposedly used by King Arthur. That sword was infused with the power of the earth. In your hands it should prove useful. Judging by its make and size it's meant to be used for quick strikes. Since you were trained as a Ninja that should be right up your alley.”

 

“I’ll just call it the Earth Blade.” She replied before sheathing it. “It’ll be a nice sword to play with later.”

 

“Whoa, your book’s glowing!” I heard Angel exclaim.

 

“It looks like Leon’s Sub Zero Tome is now a Guardian.” Kyle remarked.

 

“Does this mean I’m on par with Angel now?” He asked.

 

“Only if you can beat me.” She replied with a grin. “And I doubt that will happen anytime soon!”

 

“Mom, can we have a Guardian?” I heard someone ask Katrin. I turned and saw a boy I’d never seen before.

 

“I thought you only had eight children?” I asked Katrin.

 

“I have nine.” She replied with a laugh. “This is Rocky. The reason you’ve never seen him before is because he was chosen as next in line after his father. Because of this, he’s the last of the Midas Eight to visit earth.”

 

“Point taken…” I said with a laugh. “Just make sure he gets something he’s comfortable with using. Whatever isn’t taken I will lock in my vault on Tom’s Base.”

 

---

 

“It looks like there are eight left.” Ann noted after everyone moved from the pile of Guardians. “I’ve already gotten my share so I’m set.”

 

“I still can’t believe Fin didn’t get anything…” Celes remarked.

 

“I told you, all I need are my bare hands.” He replied with a laugh. “I DID grab the Gale Boots nobody wanted, though. With them, I can run faster and jump much higher than before.”

 

“Guys, it’s time to head out.” said Ted as after talking out his cell phone. “I just got a call from a friend in the White House. It seems Abyssion was right—someone has promised to make a hit on the President at 4:30PM today.”

 

“Isn’t he supposed to be speaking at City Hall in Boston today?” asked Tom.

 

“Yes…In fifteen minutes.” I said after looking at my watch. “The only way we’re getting there in time is if we fly.”

 

“Those with wings, use them.” Ted said as he sprouted his transparent wings. “Everyone else, move as quickly as possible!”

 

---

 

As soon as we arrived, I saw someone standing on top of the City Hall building wielding a knife. When he saw us coming he jumped off, his target the leader of the free world. “Freeze!” I shouted as I activated the power of my sword. Everything literally slowed to a stop, including the would-be assassin.

 

“It’s not him.” Abyssion remarked after we cleared the man and resumed time. “I wonder why Lycos hasn't shown himself yet?”

 

“That’s because I’m over here, fool!” We all heard a new voice say. Everyone looked up to see Lycos descending towards us. “I don’t know how you knew I was coming here so quick but I’ll kill you all here and now!”

 

“Don’t count on it.” I shot back as I unsheathed the Time Blade. “You’re going right back where I sent you and this time you need to stay there!”

 

“I will show you my TRUE POWER!” the Fallen Angel boomed before running towards us.

 

“What the...?!” Hannah exclaimed in surprise as he knocked her, Fin and Serenity off their feet with a roundhouse kick. After doing that he sent Angel and Terra flying with a blast of energy.

 

“Suffer!” He said before summoning column of water that caught Katrin off guard. He then followed up with a combination of sword strokes that she barely managed to parry. I chose that moment to jump in.

 

“Why don’t you try that on the guy who killed you?” I asked before hitting him with Aurabolt. He made no sort of indication that he’d even felt my attack. Then I had to remind myself that he was a Fallen Angel. Pain was something he could never truly experience.

 

“Try to stop this!” He said before a blast of light energy fell from the sky, laying out Midas and six of the Midas Eight. Evelyn, Talen and Rocky managed to evade the brunt of it.

 

“Monster!” Talen exclaimed at the sight of his father and siblings defeated with a single attack. He picked up his Thunder Blade and charged.

 

“Death is Inevitable!” Lycos boomed before a fireball fell from above and took him out, too.

 

“This is getting stupid…” Zeke muttered. “We outnumber him!”

 

“Behold my POWER!” Lycos said before summoning a Meteor Shower and a Blizzard—at the same time.

 

“This isn’t good…” Celes trailed before she, Leon, Kyle and Mark Anthony were hit dead-on by the onslaught.

 

“I want to thank ALL of you…” He said as he walked towards me and Abyssion. “This is the POWER that I’ve been seeking! All the POWER is within ME! NO ONE will be able to DEFY ME!”

 

“At this rate he’ll kill us all.” Hannah said after she’d recovered. “We need a plan—he’s using our own moves against us! How’s that even POSSIBLE?!”

 

“He IS the person who introduced the Guardians to this world.” Abyssion noted. “It would make sense for him to have used every single one of them at some point.”

 

“True, but I did kill him not too long ago.” I replied with a hint of annoyance. ”Let’s just hit him at the same time!” The three of us then hit him with Hydro Cannon, Frenzy Plant and Blast Burn. The combination attack sent him flying up high.

 

“Triangle Attack!” The three of us ended our combination with a simultaneous attack from different directions. Despite that, he still had some fight left in him.

 

“Thy sins be purged!” I heard Zenith suddenly say as he rose into the air, wings extended. In his hands was a spear of light. “Lost Seraph!” He ran the Fallen Angel through with his spear, finally stopping him.

 

“How…can anyone…be more powerful than me…?” He asked before falling to his death.

 

“The answer to that one is easy, Fallen One.” Abyssion replied in disgust. “You have no place in this world.”

 

“Add to that the fact that you were beaten quite easily before.” I said. “See, your problem is you keep underestimating us.”

 

“And because of that, you'll never be able to overcome the Champions of Earth!” Hannah finished.

 

---

 

“Now that was insane…” Katrin said after she and Evelyn healed everybody who’d been hurt in the fight.

 

“You’re telling me!” Fin exclaimed. “We out numbered him and he simply overwhelmed us!”

 

“I’m just glad it’s over…” I breathed. “Oh, and Jenna?”

 

“Yes?” she asked.

 

“For all of our sakes, please don’t bring him back.” I finished. “If you do, I might just have to kill you--again.”

 

“It was nice being together to save the day again.” Mark Anthony noted. “Although…as usual, Dad did the hard work of finishing the job.”

 

“There’s always next time, sport.” Fin replied with a grin. “And who knows? There might be a problem only you can solve.”

 

“You think so?” He asked. “Now that you mention it...”

 

“Of course!” Katrin added. “Dad’s strong but he can’t be everywhere. The Time Blade has its limits.”

 

“No, it doesn’t.” He replied sternly. “If I wanted, I could be everywhere at once but then again where’s the fun in that?”

 

“Hey everyone, I just realized something!” Angel exclaimed.

 

“What is it?” asked Leon.

 

“Tomorrow’s Thanksgiving!” She exclaimed with a smile.

 



© 2008 Brendan2k5


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

196 Views
Added on February 21, 2008


Author

Brendan2k5
Brendan2k5

Boston, MA



About
I'm a Writery by hobby and up until recently my work has only been up for public viewing at my own website and Fictionpress. I've written many stories since 8th Grade and have decided to bring my newe.. more..

Writing
Backlash Backlash

A Chapter by Brendan2k5


Pardoning Pardoning

A Chapter by Brendan2k5