Hannah the Magic Swordsman

Hannah the Magic Swordsman

A Chapter by Brendan2k5
"

Hannah battles Abyssion using the Energy Blade. Meanwhile, Ted finds out someone from his past is alive and well.

"

 

---

 

Chapter 19: Hannah the Magic Swordsman

 

---

 

 

“Whoa...what happened here?” I said as I stumbled into the living room. Having just woken up after nearly getting killed by disgruntled swordfighter, I’d lost track of time. Lying sprawled on the sofa was a pregnant woman who looked like she was in a lot of pain.

 

“She’s in labor.” Ann said before I could ask. “And we’re going to need to find Ted as soon as possible—Celes is in a life or death situation in Chicago.”

 

“Can’t you sense him?” I asked.

 

“I don’t know where he is but for some reason I can’t.” She replied. “I know he’s not dead, though. Wherever he is, his energy is being suppressed somehow.”

 

Hmm…I see.” I said. “I’m going to step outside for a minute.”

 

“Maybe you should go back to bed.” Ann suggested with a hint of concern. “You haven't fully recovered.”

 

“I’ll be fine.” I replied dismissively. “I just need some fresh air.”

 

---

 

“I’d really like to know why I keep getting knocked out today.” I said as I regained my senses.

 

“Are you sure you haven’t really done anything to deserve it?” I heard Tom ask jokingly. I looked up and saw that he was in the cell across from me. It seems we’d been moved to somewhere else. I also noticed I still had the Time Blade. My Force Energy was being suppressed again, however.

 

“Just being a soldier.” I replied curtly. “Nice attempt at rescuing me, though. Looks like you got locked up, too.”

 

“Yeah, and the rest of my team.” Tom said casually. “Who’d have thought they knew exactly how to deal with us. Good thing I sent Kodak and Ed to New York. They can smell a trap a mile away.”

 

“Ah, good to see you’re finally up.” We heard Justin Honda say as he came in.

 

“Good to see you still think you’re in control of things.” I retorted.

 

“You know, you’re really starting to piss me off.” He said as he opened the door to my cell.

 

“I’ve been pissed off since the first time I laid eyes on you!” I shot back. “Tell me something I don’t know!” That’s when he punched me in the face, knocking me to the floor.

 

“Get up.” He said with a rather stuff undertone. That’s when I experienced a flashback of another time…

 

Do you like playing it tough or something?” My foster mother said. “I don’t know how your real mother put up with it but that crap won’t work on me! Now get up!” I sat there, not saying anything. If she was hoping I’d get tired of it she was sorely mistaken. My patience is infinite. She’d have been dead a long time ago otherwise…

 

“Hey, I’m talking to you!” Honda shouted. “Are you mental or something?” Involuntarily, my hand went for his throat. I stood up and pulled his face close to mine. The reaction was just as I expected: Fear of his own mortality. I’d seen that look in the eyes of many people. People I’ve killed.

 

“Don’t ever call me that again if you value your life.” I said before dropping him.

 

“Such…anger and hate…” He managed to say between coughs. “I’ve never seen…anything like it!”

 

“And it won’t be the last.” I added. “Just what do you want from me, anyway?”

 

“Since you’ve calmed down a bit, come with me.” He said as if nothing had happened. “There’s someone I want you to meet.” He led the way down the hall through a door. We took an elevator to another floor where he led me down another hall. In this area I could hear wails and screams of anguish.

 

“What is this place?” I asked Honda.

 

“This hall is home to those who went over the edge during the last world war.” He explained. “All of them lost everyone and everything that meant anything to them. Some of them even more. Others, however…I dare not say.”

 

“What does this have to do with me?” I probed. “I can’t say I feel sorry for them. Our nations were at war, mind you.”

 

“You might change your mind after meeting this girl.” He replied. “She’s been wanting to meet you for 16 years.” We stopped at a door made of reinforced titanium. “Before I open the door, there’s something you should know.”

 

“What?” I asked.

 

“She’s your daughter.”

 

---

 

“Where the hell did this sword come from?” I asked aloud as I wandered into the backyard. “Of all the places for Ted to leave one of his blades…” I walked over to it and yanked it out of the ground. As I held it I felt a lot of energy flowing into my body. It felt as though amazing power I always had was suddenly restored.

 

“That’s because it isn’t Ted’s.” said a voice coming from behind me. I turned around and was looking at a man dressed in black I'd never seen before. “Not anymore, anyway. If you value your life, I suggest you hand it over.”

 

“You’ll have to kill me for it, then.” I replied as I entered a defensive stance.

 

“If Zane did that when he could have we wouldn’t be talking right now, would we?” The man asked with a sigh. “Well at least now I’ll fix that mistake!” With that he unsheathed his sword and sliced it horizontally at me. Amazingly, I was able to parry it without effort.

 

“Whoa!” I exclaimed in surprise.

 

“I’m impressed you managed to parry that blow in time.” The man remarked. “It’s quite clear to me you’re inexperienced in the ways of the sword as well. It’s a real pity.”

 

“What?”

 

“Prepare to sleep!” He said as he jumped into the air, his sword brought down to bear.

 

“Not today!” I exclaimed before swinging it at him. I watched in amazement as a beam of energy flew from the sword right at the man. He dodged just in time but the shock factor was still there.

 

“That was Force Energy!” He exclaimed. “Earth, from the looks of it, too. Just who the hell are you?”

 

“Give me your name and I shall give you mine.” I replied, not taking my eyes off of him for a second.

 

“Fine, I shall tell you mine name…wretched human.” He ended that sentence with so much malice I knew he was dead-set on taking the sword I was holding no matter what. “I am Abyssion Highwind, son of Fallen One. Once I’ve retrieved all three pieces of the Trinity Blade, I will succeed where my father failed countless times in the past. You are merely a stepping stone about to be crushed into oblivion.”

 

“Sorry, but no.” I replied. “Unlike you, I have better things to live for. My name is Hannah Patterson. I don’t know what the hell the Trinity Blade is but you’re not taking this from me. And to make one minor correction, I do know something of the ways of the sword. Now that I’ve recovered from our last meeting, allow me to show you!”

 

With that we both charged at each other full speed. When our swords clashed a shockwave shook the ground. “Resistance is futile.” He said as we exchanged blows. “I’ll show you the difference of our strengths!” With that he jumped back and began muttering something. “Blast Burn!” He boomed with a swing of his sword. That’s when the yard exploded in fire. I got mobile to avoid the wildfire.

 

When I saw an opening I jumped in, sword raised. “Take this!” I exclaimed as I swung the sword downwards. He dodged right before the place where he stood was fissured. Not even giving him time to land I turned and followed up with a vertical slice. This one cut deep into his chest. I looked in satisfaction as he rolled out of the way of my next barrage of slices. I brought the sword down hard and it slit the ground in two. He barely managed to avoid getting sucked in.

 

“Damn!” He spat as he checked his wound. “It seems you were holding back before. I don’t make the same mistake twice, however. Prepare to die!” He the charged forward, sword raised. This time I would be the one to create theatrics.

 

“Frenzy Plant!” I boomed as several large vines shot out of the ground and lashed out at Abyssion. He never saw it coming and was taken off-guard. I took that moment to move in to finish him off. Seeing me coming he evaded at the last minute. On landing, I made the vines vanish. “You know there’s something about you that I find strange.” I said as I walked calmly towards him. “If you’re the son of Lucifer, shouldn’t you be much harder for me to kill?”

 

“Unlike my father, I am half human.” He said as he cleared fresh blood from his mouth. “And as such I know when to retreat to maintain my existence!” With that he jumped into the air and disappeared in a cloud of smoke.

 

“What the?!” I exclaimed when I no longer sensed him nearby. “What the hell is that supposed to mean?!”

 

“What happened out here?” I heard Angel say from the patio. “What was the explosion I heard earlier?”

 

“Nothing.” I replied. “Shouldn’t you be resting?”

 

“Yeah.” She said as she came over. “Wait—my dad left that sword in the backyard! What are you doing with it? Was Abyssion here?”

 

“Briefly.” I replied. “I sent him running with his tail between his legs, though.”

 

---

 

I looked at the girl sitting on the bench opposite me. The room was dimly lit but I could see her face perfectly. She was near-identical to Celes. “What’s your name?” I asked her in Chinese. I was not even sure if she spoke English.

 

“Marie.” She replied in English. Hearing that, I almost passed out. Still, it was impossible...

 

“I don’t know why but I don’t believe you.” I said. “It’s true that I have a daughter with that name but I know it can’t be you--she’s been dead for almost 16 years.” Her reaction was a look of surprise.

 

“They told you I was DEAD?!” She exclaimed. “Those b******s!”

 

“Who’s ‘they’?” I asked. “And better yet, where were you born and who is your mother?”

 

“I was born during World War III in a small village 75 miles west of Hong Kong.” she began. “This was shortly after the Red China Massacre. My mother was still pregnant with me at the time but she was there. She managed to get out the city before it was vaporized and fled to Hong Kong. On the way there she went into labor and I was born. I was told that the day after I was born, she disappeared and was never seen alive again. Her name…was Leanne Kwan.” Hearing the name of the woman I fell in love with during the war brought back a lot of painful memories. Memories I’d tried very hard to discard but couldn’t. Of course, I knew how the rest of the story went.

 

“I found her body in Tienanmen Square a few days before I erased the city.” I said. “She was trying to get out of the country but apparently died from complications related to childbirth. Aside from what she was wearing she also had a letter to me. It said she’d given birth to a baby girl and had named her Marie, along with the exact address at which I was to find the child. When I went there the village was completely destroyed. Apparently, enemy soldiers found out Leanne and I were in a relationship and had given birth to a daughter. They destroyed the town and killed everyone, including newborns. To me, it was punishment from God for breaking my commitment to my wife…”

 

“I believe I can fill in the rest of missing parts to this tragic story.” Honda said suddenly. It was then that I remembered where I was and why I was seeing her. “The same night Marie was born, Leanne paid someone to smuggle Marie into Hong Kong after she’d left. After you found her body Ted, Marie’s caregivers had just arrived when the order to destroy her place of birth was given. After the war ended it was discovered Marie wasn’t among the dead though the Chinese Government didn’t make this known outside the country. They hoped to find her and use her as a bargaining chip against you and the United States. Luckily, she had already been taken to Japan where she's lived up until now.”

 

“Just who the hell are you?” I asked him. “And why are you so dead-set on seeing me atone for the Red China Massacre?”

 

“The answer, my friend is simple.” He replied with a smile before pulling out his sidearm and pointing it at Marie. “If you don’t, I’ll kill her right here and now and yes, I know very well that by doing so it will drive you over the edge. Then again, I also decide weather other members of your family live or die. All you need say is two words and they will live.”

 

“Ok, then here goes.” I said as I looked him square in the face. The large shadow directly behind him told me Tom was about to strike. “Good-Bye.”

 

“What?” He asked. In the next moment his his exploded, Tom blowing it off with a shotgun. I ended up getting a fair amount of his entrails on me. It reminded me of a job I did with Tom not too long ago.

 

“Sorry about all that.” Tom said after stripping Honda's body of his weapons. “I had to make sure he thought he was in control.”

 

“How’d you find us?” I asked.

 

“I actually picked the lock to my cell before you woke up.” He replied. “I simply followed you and waited for the right moment to strike. I released everyone else as well. We’d best go, though—John activated the compound’s self-destruct system.”

 

“I follow.” I replied before turning back to Marie. “Come with me if you want to live.”

 

“Okay.” She said as she got up and took my hand.

 

“Tom, you get your team clear of this place.” I said as I unsheathed the Time Blade. “I’m teleporting out with her.”

 

“Alright, but don’t forget you own me big for this!” He said as he turned and ran down the hall.

 

“Believe me, I won’t.” I replied with grin. With a swing of my sword the two of us vanished and re-appeared on an island somewhere in the Pacific. I looked up in time to see Mark and Serenity fighting Zane and a young woman I didn't know. “Stay behind me.” I said to Marie before separating the two groups with Aurabolt.

 

“Daddy!” Serenity exclaimed when she saw me walk over.

 

“Dad, where--” Mark started before I cut him off.

 

“I know, I know.” I started. “’Where the hell have you been’, right? Let’s just say I got a little sidetracked bringing someone back from the dead.”

 

“Ted, I…” Terra started.

 

“Save it.” I said before she could finish. “Marina’s on her way here. When she gets here, tell her to head for the Mercenary Base. I want you, Mark and Serenity to go with her as well.”

 

“Why?” she asked. “And who is that with you?”

 

“Give Marina that message and you’ll find out.” I said before getting ready to teleport again. “Oh, and I stopped the contractions for you. They’ll start up again in 24 hours, though.”

 

“Hold it just a second.” Zane's companion said suddenly. “I know you. You're Ted Toss! You're the only one who has ever beaten Zane AND my father in a duel!”

 

“Yeah, so?” I replied before turning to Zane. “I don't know why I didn't realize it when we first ran into each other last year. You're Angela's brother, aren't you?” The look he gave me told me he had no idea what I was talking about. “Alright, #488. Keep acting like you don't know what I'm talking about.” At this his expression changed. “Yes, I'm the guy who helped your sister escape the Togo Institution. I don't know what Abyssion or his father have been telling you but your sister and my wife both grew up in that place. In fact, she'd been kidnapped prior to when I rescued them. If anything, I think you owe me a dept of gratitude.”

 

“What makes you so sure I owe YOU anything?” he asked. I couldn't help but laugh at this remark.

 

“Let me put it this way: You killed my son's best friends and now that he's found you, you're as good as dead.” I started. “He's got a lot more power than he's been letting on and once he tap into it not even a swordsman of your caliber can beat him. Remember: He's using the same form of swordsmanship as me. If I was able to beat you without even trying, what makes you think you've got any sort of chance?” Now it was my turn to be surprised, as Zane started laughing. “What's so funny?” I asked.

 

“Are you saying you weren't using your full power against me?” he asked. I nodded. “Neither was I.” He said before suddenly releasing a vast amount of force energy. Almost instantly I felt his power easily surpass Mark, Fin and Katrin combined. “As you can now see, I could very easily wipe out your entire family. As thanks for keeping my sister safe, I'll spare Mark—for now. Come, Aurina.” The two then turned and flew across the sky.

 

“His power...it's huge!” Mark finally exclaimed. “If you didn't come I could've been killed!”

 

“Not exactly.” I replied with a smile as I turned to Terra. “If we didn't seal most your power when you were young, you would've easily killed him.”

 

“Daddy...Kodak's dead.” Serenity said as she held the Atlas' Strength. I could only look the powerful axe in shock.

 

“Kodak was the oldest living Native American on Earth.” I said. “If you were able to take that from his killer then it's a safe bet he's entrusted his legacy to you. Man, Tom's not going to be happy when he hears about this...”

 

---

 

“Yes, I’ve been restored!” Rupee exclaimed after Evelyn finished healing him. “You have my eternal thanks. Now I can finally go home!”

 

“Glad to have been of service.” She replied. “I live to serve others.”

 

“And now you all must live for other reasons.” I heard Dad say as he appeared out of nowhere.

 

“How’d you find us?” I asked him.

 

“This building is rigged to blow.” He said. “Ed's working on it now but you all might want to get clear in case he can’t disarm the warhead.”

 

“Did you just say WARHEAD?!” I asked with a tinge of horror.

 

“I'm afraid so.” He replied. “Now get out of here! There’s no time!”

 

“Right!” I exclaimed as Dad cut a hole in the wall to the outside. I created a staircase of light to get everyone out safely. When I looked back Dad and the girl who was with him were both gone.

 

---

 

When Dad arrived at our location, not much had changed. We were none too surprised to see him arrive. “We’ve been trying to reach you all day!” I exclaimed. “Where have you been?”

 

“I know, I know.” He said as he put away the Time Blade. “Wait here, Marie. I’ve got to go and rescue your sister.” With that he unsheathed the Aqua Blade and disappeared into the rubble. The rest of us looked at each other, dumb founded.

 

“Did he just say ‘sister’?!” Gina asked.

 

“Yes, he did.” Alex replied, just as stunned. “And I don’t think he was referring to us.”

 

“Umm…hi?” I managed. “I’m Finnaran Xavier Toss and this is my wife, Gina. The other guy’s Alex, Gina’s younger brother and Celes’ husband. Unless I heard wrong I guess this makes me your big brother.”

 

“How can you tell?” asked Alex. “She could be older.”

 

“She could pass for Celes with a few modifications.” I replied with a grin. “And remember—Katrin’s basically me in a dress.”

 

Not that we needed the visual…” Gina replied with a sigh.

 

---

 

“So that was Abyssion…” I said thoughtfully when Angel and Hannah came back inside. “After meeting that other swordsman I find it hard to believe you survived an encounter with this man. Then again you were using the very sword he and Ted fought over against him.”

 

“No doubt that’s what hurt his pride.” Hannah replied. “Once I got the hang of using it he was simply no match for me. I’d have finished him off if he didn’t retreat. When he comes back I’ll be ready, too.”

 

“There’s also the chance he’ll go after Ted as well.” I said. “Or maybe the other way around? Well, in any case we’ll need to be careful with him. It seems that only the Energy Blade and the Time Blade are a match against his sword.”

 

“Now that you mention it, he said something about a sword called the Trinity Blade.” Hannah remarked. “Do you know anything about it?”s

 

“I remember hearing about a sword that existed a long time ago with the power to kill Divine Beings.” I said. “It was a sword created when three powerful swords were merged into one.”

 

“What happened to it?” she asked.

 

“Apparently, those who planned to assemble it died during the Black Plague outbreak.” I replied. “No one knows what became of the three swords until they resurfaced when Ted and I were 17. Satanists believe God himself slew the people who were going to assemble the sword. If not, then evil could use the sword destroy the Kingdoms of Heaven and Earth.”

 

“I’ve no doubt Dad knows this.” said Angel. “This would explain why he tried to claim the Energy Blade the other day. He knew what would happen should Abyssion get all three swords.”

 

“I’m going to protect this sword with my life.” Hannah declared. “I won’t let Abyssion or anyone else take it from me.”

 

---

 

When the building exploded we all panicked. That panic was subsided when a geyser shot out of the center of the building, extinguishing the fire. We watched in surprise as Dad emerged from the rubble carrying Celes with Jenna following close by. Once they were clear of the building we ran over as Dad set her down in the street. Thankfully, she was ok. “I can’t believe we were just shot out of a building!” Jenna exclaimed. “I hope we never have to do it again.”

 

“Same here.” Celes added. Then she noticed all of us standing there. “What are you all doing here?”

 

“We came to help but it ended up not being necessary.” I explained. “Aeris is sleeping in the car but you can thank Dad you’re still alive right now.”

 

“I know.” She replied with a smile. “I’d name the baby after him but it’s going to be a girl.”

 

“Now that you’re safe, it’s time Marie and I got going again.” Dad said as he unsheathed the Time Blade again. “We have one more stop to make. In the meantime, I want all of you to meet me at Tomiko’s Base. All will be explained there.” Before any of us could protest he was gone.

 

“I didn’t even have a chance to ask him how we’re related to Marie.” I said with a frown.

 

“What?!” Celes asked in surprise.

 

“Before he went in there he said that other girl, Marie is our sister.” I explained.

 

“Now that’s impossible.” Celes replied. “You and Katrin are the oldest. Marie looks to be around my age but there’s NO WAY I’d have a sister that close to my age and not know about her. Unless…”

 

“My thoughts exactly.” I said, knowing she was thinking the same thing I was. “Chances are good it’s related to World War III. From the way he sounded Dad wants everyone to hear what he has to say.”

 

“I agree.” Celes replied soberly as she channeled power into her Lunar Blade. “But damn it, I’m pregnant. I shouldn’t be traveling that far in my condition. Everybody hang on!”

 



© 2008 Brendan2k5


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

110 Views
Added on February 21, 2008


Author

Brendan2k5
Brendan2k5

Boston, MA



About
I'm a Writery by hobby and up until recently my work has only been up for public viewing at my own website and Fictionpress. I've written many stories since 8th Grade and have decided to bring my newe.. more..

Writing
Backlash Backlash

A Chapter by Brendan2k5


Pardoning Pardoning

A Chapter by Brendan2k5