On Borrowed Time

On Borrowed Time

A Chapter by Brendan2k5
"

Some people find out they're gifted in the field of Magic. Also, Mark Anthony finally catches up to the person who killed Dexter and Rose.

"

 

---

 

Chapter 17: On Borrowed Time

 

---

 

 

“Tell me one more time how you and practically the rest of your family became so well versed in the art of swordplay and magic.” Jenna asked me. “I’m finding it all very hard to believe.”

 

“I’ve told you already.” I replied with a sigh. “When my father was my age he fought a fallen angel. Before we resurrected you we found out he was one of Lycos’ followers. Anyway, my father fought the angel and took up the Time Blade, which the angel had along with another sword. Before my father finished him another man showed up and sent the other to the center of the earth. After doing that the man disappeared and my father was made an Arch Angel by The Lord God. As he started a family he trained each of us in various fighting styles all but lost throughout the ages. We recently learned My mother is indeed the only Summoner on Earth.”

 

“Ah, I see.” Jenna commented. “But still, don't many members of your family use magic? Not only that your mother also wields firearms while she fights.”

 

“It’s true that Angel is the Master of Terra Force Energy in all areas..” I started. “However, this goes in part with the fact that she was genetically engineered with all four parts mastered. My mother mastered Terra Force Energy as well as Soul Force Energy on her own. Because of this she can summon.”

 

“Summon, as in invoke spirits and s**t like that?” Jenna asked in amazement. “Can that really be possible?”

 

“More or less and yes, it is.” I replied with a grin. “She’s already made a contract with several dozen spirits and can summon them to do her bidding.”

 

“Wow…sounds complicated!” Jenna exclaimed before laughing. “Do you think I might be able to learn some magic? I’ve been wanting to ever since I watched Katrin revive Myra in Massachusetts.”

 

“You’ll have to ask her yourself.” I replied. “Katrin is one of the most powerful users of healing power on the planet. If you want, I can ask Alex to teach you how to wield divine power.”

 

“I’d really appreciate that.” She replied with a laugh. “Come on, let’s go!”

 

---

 

“Mom, what are you doing?” I asked as I walked into our Seattle home. “Every time I come home from school you’re always meditating. Not only that, no one has seen you for weeks! What do you hope to achieve in doing this?” Hearing no answer, I turned to go upstairs.

 

“Wait, Mark Anthony.” she said. I turned around in surprise.

 

“What is it?” I asked anxiously.

 

“Do I look any different to you?” she asked as she stood. “How much different do I look than when we first came to Seattle?” I could only watch in shock. When we first moved to Seattle mom was two months pregnant. Now she looked full-term. There was no way that could be possible since we’ve only been in Seattle a few weeks.

 

“Mom…what did you do to yourself?” I asked. “And what about the baby…?”

 

“I simply accelerated gestation.” She replied. “I did the same thing when I was having you and Serenity, too. This way I can have more children in a shorter amount of time. Before I met your father I was studying alchemy. While he was having children with Ann I was researching ways to not only have more children but to shorten human gestation. You and Serenity are living proof that I succeeded.”

 

“Whoa…” I trailed. “I don’t remember much about Serenity being born but this is just…Wow! I can see now who I inherited my scientific genius from!”

 

“Glad to know you like it.” She replied with a laugh. “After the baby is born perhaps I can show you some of my research.”

 

“I just heard the guy who killed Dexter and Rose was in Boston.” I said. “I guess I missed him or something.”

 

“I also heard he may be Angel's brother as well.” Mom remarked. “If that's true you may be in over your head. He almost killed Hannah.”

 

“That was his second mistake.” he said. “When I find him, I'll make sure to properly punish him.”

 

“Mark, look!” Serenity said as she came into the living room wielding what looked like an axe. The weapon was almost twice her size but she held it as if it were nothing.

 

“What the...!” I exclaimed in surprise.

 

“Zeke and Kodak have been teaching her.” said Mom. “They're both impressed with how fast she's learning.”

 

“I don't think Dad's gonna recognize her when he sees her now.” I said with a laugh. I heard my phone beeping so I answered it. It was a text message from someone asking me to an island in the middle of the Pacific Ocean. I could only think of one person who would arrange such a meeting...

 

---

 

“All life exists for a purpose.” I said. “Weather we like it or not, we would be foolish to think we are superior to all other life. Respect it and it will respect you. If you remember these words then you will find yourself able to do anything.”

 

“Can I even be a strong healer like you, mom?” Evelyn asked. “I’ve only just begun my training but I want to be better.”

 

“You can be as good as you want to be.” I replied. “It’s all up to you.” We were in Central Park in New York City. After the incident with Eve I decided to teach her my healing arts. Being half Kyomorian, she would have great potential.

 

“Will I even be able to restore lost life?” She asked me. “I’ve heard you did it before but such a thing…it’s impossible.”

 

“Is that so?” I asked. “It seems you will have a long way to go, my daughter.” I walked over to a large tree that had been hit by lighting. The trunk was charred and many of the branches were broken. This would be perfect. “Come here, Evelyn. Touch this tree. I want you to tell me what you feel.”

 

“I...I can’t feel anything.” She replied.

 

“Concentrate harder.” I urged. “If this is indeed dead you should be able to sense the emptiness.” This time she focused harder on feeling the life of the tree. I did nothing but stand by and watch.

 

“What?” She said.

 

“What is it?” I asked.

 

“I can sense something within this tree.” She replied. “It’s dying. It’s already lost so much energy…”

 

“Well, why don’t we do something about that?” I suggested. “Let us lend our power to this tree.”

 

“Can I do that?” She asked.

 

“Only if you want to,” I replied. “And have the willpower.”

 

“I do!” She said before turning to the tree again. “Holy Power, grant me the power to perform this healing! Energy Heal!” The staff I gave her began to glow. Light poured from it and into the dying tree. Slowly the tree began to recover.

 

“You’re doing it!” I exclaimed. “Keep it up!” I watched as more and more of the tree began to recover. It was happening slowly but the tree was recovering.

 

“This amazing power…am I really healing the tree with it?” I heard Evelyn say. “I can feel the life restoring within it but it’s happening very slowly.”

 

“Keep it up a little longer.” I said. “You’re almost done. Now, concentrate!” That’s when she did something unexpected. She released a massive amount of energy upon the tree. It was so sudden that the tree started to grow very quickly.

 

“What’s going on?!” She exclaimed. “It’s growing out of control—ugh!”

 

“Evelyn!” I yelled. “You’ve given it too much of your energy! You must stop before you’ve completely drained your power!”

 

“I can’t break free!” She exclaimed. I then grabbed my Lance and stepped forward.

 

“I call upon the powers of the Red Fire.” I started. “Engulf this corrupt soul in your flames of destruction! Fire Drill!” With a wave of my lance the tree was set ablaze. When it was completely engulfed Evelyn managed to get free.

 

“Mom, you set it on fire!” She exclaimed. “Why did you—“

 

“If I hadn’t you would’ve been killed.” I replied. “If that happened to me I would have been able to break its hold. You, however are not strong enough to be able to do it and so I had to step in.”

 

“Still, it seems like all I did was for nothing.” She trailed.

 

“Not really.” I replied. “Sacred Powers, bless us with the breath of life! Life Heal!” With that, I not only restored the tree to its original condition but restored all the energy Evelyn used on it. “Sometimes, you need to decide if healing someone or something is in your best interest.”

 

“Why?” She asked.

 

“What just happened is a perfect example.” I replied. “Now, come. Our next destination is the slums of Harlem…”

 

---

 

“Where did Ted go?” Julie asked me as she came into the living room. “He said something about changing the laws of this country and left.”

 

“Well, Ted knows every politician in our nation’s capital.” I replied. “It’s about 1000 miles south of here in Washington, DC. After stopping many attempted assassination attempts he’s gained the favor of all of them. Still, I have no idea if they’ll grant him this request…”

 

“Ooh…” she groaned as she put a hand to her stomach.

 

“Maybe you should sit down.” I suggested.

 

“No, it’s ok.” She replied. “The babies are just restless.”

 

“Well, I can see that.” I replied. “You probably can’t tell but I recently had twins. It won’t do you or them any goof to not rest yourself.”

 

“You don’t even know what I am.” She replied before groaning again. “Not only that your husband is the father…”

 

“I don’t see why it should matter.” I replied as I helped her to the sofa. In reality I was terrified. I had heard about what happened when Katrin had the Midas Eight and I was wondering if I was about to witness a similar birth.“I believe you already know Katrin has nine children who are not exactly human. Another of my daughters gave birth to a child who is part angel. I myself have been through so much, I no longer consider myself a ‘mere human’. As for you and Ted, well...don’t worry about it although I’m sure his ex, Terra might be upset. Then again she too is pregnant...along with Celes, me and Ted’s second-oldest daughter. She lives in Chicago.”

 

“Sounds like Ted’s going to have his hands full.” She replied with a smile.

 

“What makes you say that?” I asked.

 

“My time has come.” She replied. “And from what I can sense, the time has also come for Terra and Celes.” Before I could ask her how she knew that, the phone rang. When I picked it up Celes was on the other side.

 

---

 

“Mom, I’m having my baby!” I exclaimed. “If dad’s home, tell him to come quick!”

 

“What happened?” She asked.

 

“Me and Jenna are trapped in an abandoned building.” I explained. “We were on our way out when the contractions started. When we tried to leave the building became unstable and started to collapse and now we’re trapped in a room on the first floor. We’d use force but I’m not trying to hurt myself at the same time.”

 

“Your father’s not here but I’ll call him immediately.” she replied. “In the meantime, call Alex and let him know where you are.” After hanging up the phone I smelled a strange odor.

 

“Is that gas?” I asked Jenna.

 

“Smells like it…” She replied. “We’ll be killed if something ignites!”

 

---

 

“Ow…how did we get here?” I asked as I came to.

 

“Where are we?” Asked Mom.

 

“I think we’re on a deserted island.” I replied as I looked around. “We’re only lucky I activated the Bio Transfer’s failsafe in time or we’d be dead. The problem now is getting back…”

 

“That’s not the only problem!” Mom replied as she held her stomach. “The baby’s coming!”

 

“Uh-Oh!” I exclaimed. “I think Dad might be the only who can find us out here…”

 

“That's only if you live that long.” A new voice said. We turned to see two figures walking toward us from the beach. One of them I immediately recognized as Zane.

 

“There's only one way you're getting off this island and that's only if you can beat me.” said Zane. “If you lose, I'll make sure your mother and sister don't leave this place alive.”

 

“I don't think so.” I said as I unsheathed the Solar Blade. “I think now I'll make your death as painful as I know how.”

 

“Perhaps he will make a more interesting challenge than that Indian Axe Wielder did.” Zane's companion remarked. “Who've have thought that old fool would be in possession of one of the Guardians? It was almost a pity to kill so powerful a warrior.” I looked and saw that she was holding Atlas' Strength—the very weapon I knew belonged to Kodak.

 

“No...NO!” Serenity exclaimed in horror. Her reaction told me she knew exactly what this meant.

 

“Don't you worry—the woman said. “Once Zane is done with your brother I'll send you on your way to be with him.”

 

“You...you killed my teacher!” Serenity screamed. “Now I'm gonna rip you apart!” With that, she grabbed the Thunder Axe from her back and held it high, prepared to strike.

 



© 2008 Brendan2k5


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

112 Views
Added on February 21, 2008


Author

Brendan2k5
Brendan2k5

Boston, MA



About
I'm a Writery by hobby and up until recently my work has only been up for public viewing at my own website and Fictionpress. I've written many stories since 8th Grade and have decided to bring my newe.. more..

Writing
Backlash Backlash

A Chapter by Brendan2k5


Pardoning Pardoning

A Chapter by Brendan2k5