Friendly Rivalry

Friendly Rivalry

A Chapter by Brendan2k5
"

Ted and Angel find out they have rivals of their preferred arts.

"

 

---

 

Chapter 16: Friendly Rivalry

 

---

 

 

“And what made you think you were just going to walk out of this school with a kid that isn’t yours?” I asked the pedophile I just knocked out in the schoolyard. “You must be as stupid as you are pathetic to have thought you’d get away with doing something so disgusting.”

 

“The police are on their way.” Mr. Terrance said as he came outside. Then he saw the guy I laid out on the ground. “Whoa, I’m glad that wasn’t me! Jeez, Marie!”

 

“Please don’t call me that.” I said with disdain. “I don’t even let my husband say that and get away with it.”

 

“Looks like you’re still in combat mode.” Terrance remarked with a nervous laugh. “I think I’d better retreat before I get hurt!”

 

“You know, you’re really asking for it.” I said when the sound of sirens grew louder and closer. “I’d lay you out right now if you weren’t my boss and this wasn’t a schoolyard.”

 

“I’m just kidding, Ann.” He replied after calming down. “You can’t help but keep things in perspective. You are the brains and brawn of this school, after all.”

 

“I’ll just let it go.” I said as the police began to enter the schoolyard. “When I first came to this country, my full name was Ann Marie Johnson. The only other person who knows that and is still alive is my husband.”

 

---

 

“I wonder if that will make the evening news?” Haley asked me during lunch. “Your mom--I mean Ms. Toss--really did a number on that guy.”

 

“I’d say he was lucky I wasn’t there or he’d be going to the hospital instead of jail.” I replied. “I’m pretty sure she could’ve done worse if she really wanted to.”

 

“Say Angel.” said Leon. “When are you going to be able to teach me Blazing Storm?”

 

“I’ve got some time today after school.” I replied. “Assuming my mom is ok with it, anyway.”

 

“I know how to use it but knowing how to stop it would be good as well.” He said.

 

“Don’t worry Leon--I’ll make sure you learn it.” I said. “We wouldn’t be able to have a Magician’s Duel otherwise.”

 

“If you’d like, I’ll even teach you my most powerful spell.” He replied. “It’s called Sub-Zero. I know it’s not like Meteor Storm but it’s so powerful I could freeze over the planet in minutes four times over.”

 

“You’ve got me interested.” I said. “Meet me at my house today at five.”

 

“It’s a deal, then.” Leon replied excitedly. “I’ll be there!”

 

---

 

“My, my, you’re certainly in a good mood today.” I said to Angel as we drove home from school. “I see you and Leon are becoming good friends. That’s good.”

 

“He’s coming over to learn Blazing Storm.” she replied. “Not only that, he said he’s going to teach me his most powerful spell as well.”

 

“That sounds nice.” I said with a smile. “Sub Zero is only the most powerful spell there is outside Blazing Storm.”

 

“How do you know that?” She asked.

 

“I read his mind.” I replied. “I’m pretty sure I could use it myself, actually.”

 

“Really?” She asked with surprise. I paused for a moment.

 

“No, I’m just kidding!” I replied as we both started to laugh. “Summoning is enough work as it is!”

 

--

 

“Alright, that’s everything…” I said after getting the backyard ready. Leon and and his brother Kyle would be here any minute and I wanted everything to look prefect. Haley even came over to help.

 

“Say Angel, I’ve been wondering something.” Haley said once we finished. “Can you teach me some magic?”

 

“Sure.” I replied without looking up. “Just yell fire at the top of your lungs.”

 

“That’s illegal!” She exclaimed with a laugh.

 

“Maybe but just like that this place will be swarming with firefighters.” I replied with a grin. “Seriously though, you can’t use magic until you know what your Force Element is. That usually helps determine what kinds of magic will be best for you. For example mine is Fire, my mom’s is Wind and Leon’s is Water.”

 

“Can you tell me what mine is?” she asked me.

 

“You’re going to have to find that out on your own.” I said. “Though if you run upstairs and grab some of my books on magic I might be able to help you find out.”

 

“I’ll be right back!” She exclaimed before running inside.

 

“Good, she’s gone.” I heard a familiar voice say. “We can’t have anyone hear you screaming while I take your body now, can we?”

 

“Who’s there?” I asked as I opened Meteor Storm. Almost instantly everything went black. It was so sudden I thought I was dead. “What’s going on here?”

 

“Relax, I just got rid of the distractions.” The voice replied. The same man who visited me last week then appeared. The only difference was he now sported black wings. “Now sit still and I promise this won’t hurt—much!”

 

“Energy Force--!” That was all I managed to say before being knocked out, this time for real. I could then feel another presence beginning to enter my mind, body and soul. As much I tried I could do nothing to even slow it down. I was being possessed!

 

“Your soul is mine!” He exclaimed with a laugh.

 

“Let go of her!” another voice suddenly exclaimed.

 

“Oh, it's you.”

 

“I'll say it once. Leave my sister's body and I promise your suffering will not last long.”

 

“I don't think so.” The alien presence in my body said before everything went black.

 

---

 

“You must be Kyle, Leon’s brother.” I said when the pair arrived at the house. “I understand you work at what’s now the Boston Chapter of the Faith Watchers.”

 

“Yes, I was chosen by Alex himself.” He replied. “It was quite an honor when I was asked to lead the church by His Holiness personally.”

 

“So, where’s Angel?” Leon asked me.

 

“In the back with Haley,” I replied. “Go ahead.”

 

“I’m right here.” I heard Haley say from the stairs. She looked like she was carrying a few of Angel’s books on Magic.

 

“Looks like Leon’s not the only one getting a crash course on Terra Magic, I see.” I replied with a laugh.

 

“Angel said she’s going help me find out what my Force Element is.” She said. “Is it true you can use magic, Ms. Toss?”

 

“I would like to think I do.” I replied before levitating off the floor. “Regardless, I prefer the term Summoner over Spellcaster.”

 

“Your family is one of the few who understand the benefits of drawing strength from within.” Kyle remarked. “You’d be surprised how many don’t know how dangerous it is invoking the power of the devil. It’s one of the reasons I’ve had to take over teaching magic to Kyle after what happened to our parents and sister.”

 

“I heard they were killed on 9/11.” I said. “I’m so sorry to hear about that.”

 

“That was just a cover story.” He replied. “We tell everyone that because the truth of it is simply too much to bear.”

 

“Is it alright if I ask you how they really died?” I asked.

 

“Alright, but first I think we should sit first.” He replied. “It’s kind of a long story.” A scream coming from the backyard launched both of us almost instantly to its source. When we both emerged Haley was unconscious and everything else in the yard was burning.

 

“What happened?” I asked.

 

“Something’s wrong with Angel!” Leon exclaimed. “She’s trying to kill us!”

 

“Maybe you’re over reacting.” Kyle replied reassuringly. “I’m sure there is a more logical explanation for—“

 

“What are you doing with THAT?!” I suddenly exclaimed when I saw that Angel was holding the Forbidden Book of Darkness.

 

Just taking back what’s mine.” Angel said in a voice that definitely wasn’t hers. “Now that I have the power of the world’s most powerful magic user and this book, I’ll be restored soon!”

 

“She’s possessed!” Kyle exclaimed.

 

“By the devil…” I finished. “I’m pretty sure I said stay away from her, you monster! Now you’re going to pay—Indignation Judgment!” The skies then opened and a magic circle appeared beneath Angel. In the next moment a bolt of white lighting fell with its sights on her.

 

“Please…” The voice said before raising a hand. With that she not only stopped the attack but sent it back at me!

 

“That's enough.” a new voice said. A figured jumped off the roof and stood between us and Angel. “If you won't leave her body on your own, I'll just have to beat you out of her!”

 

“Holy Force!” I heard Kyle say. A shield of light appeared and blocked the spell, which manged to completely miss the newcomer. With that the rest of us were all protected from what certainly would’ve killed us. “Alex is the only person I know to have fought a possessed Spellcaster and lived to tell about it.”

 

“Who is that guy...?” Leon asked.

 

“I don't know but let's get inside while he's got her distracted.” I said before grabbing Haley and running inside. Leon and Kyle followed closely. I went to the wall safe and opened it. When I looked in I was able to see through to outside.

 

“This is bad…” Kyle trailed.

 

“You’re telling me!” I exclaimed with dread. “If Angel really wanted to, she could easily destroy the planet and make a new one. We have got to stop her!”

 

“As soon as I’ve mastered Blazing Storm, I will.” Leon replied. “As a fellow Spellcaster I want to help her out.”

 

---

 

“Yes, yes I understand.” Kyle said as he spoke with Alex over the phone. “I’ll make sure everyone is ready when I use it. Many thanks.” When he hung up he looked relieved. “I’ve been authorized by Alex to use the Piledriver to purge Lucifer from Angel. This would make her the youngest person it would ever be used on but the younger, the better chances of success.”

 

“I sure hope you’re right.” I replied. “I just gave Leon six month’s worth of instruction with Meteor Storm in six minutes. It was hard but I think he’ll be ok using it.”

 

“What about Haley?” He asked.

 

“I took her home when she awoke.” I replied. “I used my magic to take her home and get back quickly. Of course, I had to erase her memory of what happened here. It's better she not remember.”

 

There is not a soul on this earth that can challenge my might!” The voice said again. “If any of you think to oppose me, I’m right here!”

 

“Leon, are you ready?” I asked. “It looks like that guy couldn't handle her after all...”

 

“Yes, I'm ready.” He replied. “Let’s do it.” The three of us then went outside to confront Angel, who was possessed.

 

“Holy Force!” Kyle said as he began to glow.

 

“Hey, Lucifer!” I yelled. “How’d you like to meet the one who has come to destroy you?”

 

“Even he cannot stop me now.” He replied. “If my host's equal was unable to do the job, what makes you think he can?”

 

“I’m already here!” Leon exclaimed. “I’m going to make you pay for taking my friend from me! Infinite Powers, I command thee! Destroy the enemy with your awesome power: Blazing Storm!” The skies then came alive with a meteor shower, all of which were directed at Angel.

 

“Megiddo Asbestos!” Lucifer exclaimed. A black window appeared and sucked up the entire meteor shower. After it finished he laughed.

 

“He stopped Blazing Storm!” Kyle exclaimed.

 

“Impossible!” I exclaimed. “Only those who live in Heaven are unharmed by them!”

 

What, did you forget I possess a Guardian myself?” He asked with a laugh as he displayed a sword I'd never seen before. “Or did you not know there were twelve?”

 

“There’s only ten, you know.” I replied.

 

It just goes to show what you know, human.” He replied. “And you call yourself a Master Summoner...”

 

“What are you talking about?” I asked.

 

Originally, there were Twelve Guardians.” He continued. “Of the twelve, Lycos brought ten of them to earth. Your family defeated him and now use the Guardians. As for the remaining two, I have one and the last is at the center of the earth. If that Guardian is combined with my own and the one your husband possesses it will create a blade capable of killing God himself.”

 

“For some reason I find that hard to believe. I replied. “You’re not known for telling the truth, after all.”

 

“Father, I have it.” Another voice said. We turned and saw a man dressed in black approaching. Sheathed at his waist was a sword. “The Gravity Blade is mine.”

 

Good…” The devil replied. “That leaves only one more.”

 

“I can feel the human side of me thirsting for a clash with him.” The man replied. “Just to see how powerful he is…”

 

Why wait, Abyssion?” The devil asked him. “Go and quench your thirst!”

 

“That won’t be necessary.” I heard Ted say from nowhere. “I’m already here. We can get this started right here and right now. Just know that when I’m done with you, all three of the swords will be under MY control.” I looked up to see Ted and a woman I didn't know come over to us from the sky.

 

“It seems we’re in time to rectify the situation.” Said the woman who was with him.

 

“Ted, about Angel…” I started.

 

“I already know.” He replied. “I have a little something prepared for that.” He put his sword away and extended his angelic wings. He then began to chant an incantation. “Sacred Powers, cast your purifying light on this corrupt soul. Rest in peace, sinner!” He then raised his arms and brought them down in Angel’s direction. In unison a beam of light fell and consumed her corrupt body.

 

“Holy Judgment...” Kyle whispered as we watched. The powerful light razed the devil from his grip on Angel and with it his use of the sword he possessed. Now free, Angel collapsed on the ground in exhaustion.

 

---

 

Damn it…” Lucifer gasped when he realized he’d been cast out of her. “Only those born of this world can wield the Energy Blade. Abyssion, grab it and let’s get out of here!”

 

“Not so fast!” I said as I stood between Abyssion and the Energy Blade. “Abyssion just challenged me to a fight. If you want that sword you’re going to have to go through me to get it.”

 

“Huh, you really don’t know what I can do to you, then.” Abyssion replied as he unsheathed his Gravity Blade and entered a fighting stance. “You may have bested Zane but you'll find me no easy match.”

 

“Have at you!” I said as I prepared a strike.

 

“Wait.” Abyssion said before easing from his stance. “When I kill you I’d prefer if you used your full power. In exchange, I’ll use all of mine.” Everyone watched in shock as Abyssion sprouted the same transparent wings I had.

 

“So you’re the fallen hero I’ve heard so much about.” I said when I saw them. “Under other circumstances I’d hear your story but in this case I’ll make an exception!” I then rushed forward, sword extended. He blocked the charge and did a vertical slash. Had I not been using my full strength, I was sure I wouldn’t have reacted in time. I blocked it and returned it with a horizontal slash, which he parried.

 

“I give you credit for surviving the first exchange.” He said before pushing me back. He then made four copies of himself and attacked from all directions. Methodically I countered them all. When I got to the fifth I slashed vertically but he jumped away at the last minute.

 

“Impressive.” I said when his feet were back on the ground. “I killed Lycos using that maneuver.”

 

“Let’s say winner takes all on this one, then.” Abyssion replied as he got into position. It took only a second to decide what I was going to do next.

 

I focused power into the Time Blade and surged forward. When I saw Abyssion begin to counter I swung the sword, releasing a beam of energy. He stopped it with his own. Before he could get back on the defensive I kept going and prepared to cut off his head. He ducked and brought his sword back down to bear.

 

I jumped over him swung it again. When he stopped my sword was inches from his neck. I looked down and saw that his was in the same position. “Let’s just call it a draw.” I said. “It seems we are evenly matched. Maybe next time a winner will be decided.”

 

“Fine, then.” Abyssion said as he put his sword away. “When next we meet I will be the victor.”

 

“We’ll just have to see then.” I replied before watching him turn to go. “Be sure to tell your pupil my son still wants his head.”

 

Where do you think you’re going?” Lucifer asked him. “You can still finish him! You weren’t even using your full power!”

 

“Actually, I was.” Abyssion calmly replied without turning around. “Just like you were before you lost that sword. You know how much I dislike stalemates.”

 

You worthless half-demon!” Lucifer exclaimed. “If it weren’t for me you’d be dead along with your wife and mother!” At that, Abyssion jumped into the air and landed in front of his fallen father. He then cleaved him in two with his own sword.

 

“I warned you not to talk about them again.” He said. “You’re no father of mine. You’re just lucky I’m not the one who is supposed to destroy you.” He turned to leave again but stopped and looked in my direction. “When we meet again it will be one on one.” With that he disappeared.

 

----

 

“What was that about?” I asked Ted when we were inside again. “Was the devil telling the truth for once?”

 

“No.” He replied. “You remember how I first came to own this sword?” I nodded. “Well, when I found it there was another sword as well. The angel guarding it was one of Lycos’ minions. After picking up the Time Blade he attacked me. Before I could finish him he thrust the other sword into the ground and sent it to the center of the earth. The third sword, the devil himself took by killing him.”

 

“I see…” I replied. “So how did Angel end up getting involved?”

 

“Before leaving he said he’d come back to torment someone very close to me.” He explained. “Naturally I assumed it to be you or Terra. It seems he went with Angel because she is a master of magic.”

 

“That explains a lot…” said Kyle. “Well Leon, it seems you’ll have to wait until Angel is better before you duel her. She’s certainly been through a lot. Let’s head home.”

 

“Thank you for your help with that.” I said as I showed them the door. “Hopefully next time it will be more relaxing.”

 

“I’ll look forward to it.” Kyle replied before leaving. After closing the door I walked back into the kitchen. Sensing another person, I turned to the window and yanked off the curtain. A body fell with it. When I unrolled it I found a girl writhing in pain. Then I realized I knew who she was.

 

“Hannah—what were you doing in here?” I asked.

 

“Waiting for someone.” She replied as she sat up. It was then that I noticed she had cuts all over her arms and legs.

 

“What happened to you?” I asked.

 

“Ted’s here, isn’t he?” She asked. I nodded. “Good…” With that she passed out.

 

---

 

“What happened?” I asked Hannah when I saw how many bandages Ann had to wrap her in. “And who did this to you?”

 

“He didn’t say…” Hannah managed to say. “Only that he knew doing this would be the best way to get your attention…”

 

“Wait, where is your son?” asked Ann.

 

“With my father in another part of town,” Hannah replied. “I was on my way here when he attacked me. After cutting me up with his sword he left me for dead.”

 

“It must have been Zane.” I said after a moment. “There could be no other possible explanation for such savagery. When next we meet I’ll make sure he is punished.”

 

“With that Gravity Blade Abyssion could appear anywhere.” Julie remarked. “And at any time he wishes, too.”

 

“Maybe, but I control time.” I replied. “If I stop it he can’t go anywhere until I say so. So long as I have this sword, time is mine to command.”

 

“So Ted, when did you plan to introduce your new friend?” Ann asked me. “Or is she…more than a friend to you?”

 

“Ah…right…” I said. “I don’t know how you’re going to take this but I’ll be out with it. She’s pregnant and I’m the father. Not only that she proposed to me and I said yes.”

 

“Now why in the world would she do that knowing you’re married already?” Ann replied. “It’s still illegal in the US to be married to more than one person at once. There’s no way it’ll work.”

 

“I can take care of that.” I said as I turned to leave. “I just happen to know a few senators who owe me a favor.”

 

“Care to tell which ones?” Julie asked me.

 

“All of them.” I replied with a smile. 'Now wait here. This won't be long.”

 



© 2008 Brendan2k5


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

117 Views
Added on February 21, 2008


Author

Brendan2k5
Brendan2k5

Boston, MA



About
I'm a Writery by hobby and up until recently my work has only been up for public viewing at my own website and Fictionpress. I've written many stories since 8th Grade and have decided to bring my newe.. more..

Writing
Backlash Backlash

A Chapter by Brendan2k5


Pardoning Pardoning

A Chapter by Brendan2k5