Tomiko's Mercenaries

Tomiko's Mercenaries

A Chapter by Brendan2k5
"

Ted joins his longtime friend Tomiko Morado for a number of high-octane missions across America.

"

 

---

 

Chapter 11: Tomiko's Mercenaries

 

---

 

 

“So that’s it, huh?” Tom asked me as I examined a tank he was working on. “You sure you want to join up with me and my merry band of Mercenaries? What about Terra and Ann? What did they say about this?”

 

“Terra’s…busy with her new job and being pregnant and again.” I replied, not sure if he remembered we recently split up. “As for Ann, she and Angel are spending some time together in Boston. When I told her I was going to do a few jobs with you she said to make sure I come back alive.”

 

“Ha Ha Ha, that sounds about right!” He exclaimed. “You can tell her not to worry—I don’t take on more than I can handle. Right now I’m meeting with another potential new member. He says he knows you or something of the sort.”

 

“I wonder who it is?” I replied as he climbed down from the tank he was working on.

 

“Come on, I’ll introduce you.” He said after washing his hands. We went to his office where there were two people sitting facing his desk. When I entered the room after him I was shocked at who I was looking at. Sitting there was Zeke “Heat” Reynaldo and his very pregnant sister, Sheena.

 

“This is a surprise!” I said when I saw them.

 

“You can say that again.” Zeke replied as we shook hands. “It is so good to be seeing you again, Ted Toss. You may also remember my sister, Sheena.”

 

“Nice seeing you again.” I said to her as I watched them.

 

“What is it?” asked Sheena.

 

“I’m sorry.” I said. “Seeing you just reminded me almost all the women in my family are pregnant or recently had a baby. Even Tom here’s expecting a baby. Kids are great.”

 

“Excuse me, sir.” said Ed Ross as he opened the door. “There’s a woman here who wants to speak to you or Ted.”

 

“Give me 15 minutes.” Tom replied.

 

“I can handle it.” I said as I walked to the door. “You can finish the interview in the meantime.”

 

“No, this sounds like a new client.” Tom replied dismissively. “Or a fan of ours.” The interview lasted only ten minutes with Zeke getting inducted as the newest member of Tomiko’s Mercenaries. With the Boarder Wars finally at an end he decided to join up to keep his skills sharp and to see the world. This was also Sheena’s first time visiting Arizona and the United States, for that matter.

 

After Kodak took them on a tour of the facility our new guest was ushered in. The first thing I noticed about her was she looked remarkably like Katrin. Before she took off her hat I nearly mistook her for Katrin. Unlike my daughter this woman had long, Red hair that flowed down her back and spilled over her shoulders. She also had green eyes, which Katrin also lacked. From the way she tossed her hair carelessly, I knew she was trying to seduce us.

 

“If you’re looking to date one of us, we’re both married.” Tom remarked, apparently catching on as well. “And no, we don't need you to help us with our sex lives.”

 

“I know,” She replied with a laugh. “Marina and…Ann. Those are some lucky women, yes?” Tom and I shared a look before turning back to her, giving her our full attention. “My name is Eve and I want to buy your services. If you accept, I am willing to pay you a large sum of money...and then some.” She opened her briefcase on the desk and turned it so we could see the large bills inside.

 

“What kind of job did you have in mind?” Tom asked as he checked to confirm that this was real money she was showing us.

 

“I need you to kill someone for me.” Eve said as she pulled a large envelope from her jacket. I opened it and spilled the contents onto the table. There were all photos of a man. “His name is Evan Stone.” She explained. “He is the mastermind behind the cocaine wars between the US and Mexico. While your new friend Zeke ousted him from power he didn’t finish the job. Right now Evan Stone is training a new army about 200 miles southwest of Phoenix near Baja California.”

 

“What intel do you have on his place?” I asked as I pocketed a picture of our target.

 

“It’s heavily guarded by his best men.” Eve replied. “No one has ever been able to penetrate the base.”

 

“Why ask us?” Tom asked. “If you wanted, you could’ve just asked his enemies to do the job for free.”

 

“If you really must know, someone I care about is being held captive there.” She replied. “A very close and personal friend. For every day that passes his chances for survival slip away. There is no one else who can do this, gentlemen. If anything, you are the only ones capable of accepting such terms.”

 

“Well, you’re right about one thing.” Tom said with a smile. “This is one mission only me and my crew would be able to handle.”

 

“Do we have a deal, then?” Eve asked as she pushed back her hair.

 

“Consider it done.” I replied.

 

“Good.” She said, her expression unchanged. “I will give you this phone number. When the mission is complete, please call me. Who knows—I might have another job lined up for you to do.” She then got up and walked out of the office. When she left I looked from the pictures to the money and finally to Tom.

 

“What the hell did we just agree to?” I finally asked.

 

“I have no idea.” He replied with a smile. “She had me at 'buy your services' to be honest. This mission should be cake for us, though. Damn, Ted—did you see the size of those melons?”

 

“Oh, yeah I did.” I replied with a smirk. “We're lucky both our girls are so good in bed. Otherwise I'd be having my way with Eve by now.”

 

---

 

As the plane flew close to the drop site I checked my equipment: grenades, hunting knives, M-16 and my personal favorite, the Wind Tunnel. It was the name I gave the gun Ted gave me that never runs out of bullets. Not only that, the gun would track the target and when the bullet was fired, it only hit the intended target. I decided to only bring Ted and Heat for this mission. Ted or myself would be sufficient but since we were going through the front door we decided to bring a third person for support. Once we parachuted in Kodak would fly the plane back to the base and wait for us. Ed was on standby with an M1 Abrams tank in case we needed to abort the mission.

 

I found Ted’s choice of gear odd. Aside from his armor and some rations, the only weapons he brought were his swords, the Time Blade and Aqua Blade. I knew all about their special abilities but still, I felt he should’ve packed a backup weapon. Zeke held Thor’s Hammer, a powerful axe matched by none save Atlas’ Strength. Yeah, we’d be more than enough to take Evan Stone.

 

“By the way, what happened to the other Arch Weapons?” Zeke asked Ted, interrupting my thoughts. “I see you’ve still got the Time Blade there.”

 

“They’re not Arch Weapons anymore.” Ted replied. “Since they’ve been used by humans on Earth they’re now referred to as “The Guardians”. Only those of us who vanquished Lycos and his followers can use them along with whomever we pass them on to.”

 

“Does Terra still have the Spirit Bow?” I asked. “Marina still has Holy.”

 

“Of course,” He replied. “She also has Orion's Bolt and Ann has the Nebula Shot, too. Angel has Meteor Storm, Fin has the Astra Bands and Kodak Atlas’ Strength. Alex Garcia has the Holy Stave Resolve.”

 

“I believe that’s ten…” I finished.

 

“Naturally…” He replied. “Now let’s go before our friends down there know we’re here.”

 

---

 

“What do you mean he’s gone?” I asked Marina at Tom’s Base. “I called ahead and said we were coming!”

 

“I’m sorry Katrin but he and Tom had to leave for an important mission near the boarder.” Marina replied. “I don’t know when they’ll be back but you’re welcome to wait here.”

 

“Just tell him I was here.” I said as I turned to go. “I’ll be in the area.” As I reached for the door I felt the room beginning to spin. “No, not now…” I said as I threw myself to the floor and shut my eyes.

 

“Katrin!” Marina exclaimed as she approached.

 

“She was here, wasn’t she?” I asked as I clutched my pounding head. “This only happens when she’s been around.”

 

“What are you talking about?” Marina asked. “Who's 'she'?”

 

“I’m talking about my daughter.” I replied as everything started to go black. “Her name is...Evelyn...”

 

---

 

“Who’s there?” I asked as I flicked on the light next to my bed. I looked around the quiet, dark motel room, straining to pick up the slightest disturbance. I heard what sounded like footsteps so I knew I was no longer alone. I grabbed the handgun Zeke left for me and got out of bed. I put on a robe and opened the door leading into the main room. I looked around and saw what looked like a figure hiding behind the curtains. I quickly turned on the lights and aimed at the same spot to find no one there.

 

“What the hell…?” I whispered as I went closer. When I moved the curtain all I saw was the window. Was I imagining things? I decided to look outside just to be sure. When I opened the door the street was quiet. Nothing out of the ordinary. Heaving a sigh of relief, I closed the door. When I looked up I nearly froze. Hanging from the light fixture was a woman wielding a Lance.

 

“Who are you?” I asked as I reached for the doorknob again.

 

“Your kidnapper, silly.” She said as she descended, lance ready to strike. I fired a few shots, all of which she dodged effortlessly. “You’ll have to do better than that if you want to hit me.” She taunted before cutting the gun in half. When she lunged forward I sidestepped, making her lodge her weapon in the door.

 

I got a running start and grabbed the hanging light fixture. I swung on it, turned and kicked her into the door, knocking her through it and out of the room. “How do you like that?” I replied as she lay sprawled in the parking lot. “Never underestimate a pregnant woman!”

 

“That’s why we always work in pairs.” Another voice behind me said. Before I could turn to face the new threat he knocked me out with a blow to the head. “Come on, let’s go…“ That’s all I heard before blacking out completely.

 

---

 

“Who the f**k wants a piece of me!” we heard Evan Stone yell from inside his office. “I’ll kill all you c**k suckers! Come get some!”

 

“We’ve got you surrounded, Evan!” Tom yelled back through the doors. “You’re as good as dead if you don’t give yourself up! You’ve got until the count of three to open this door before we blow it open. One!”

 

“Let’s blaze this fool already!” Heat exclaimed. “We already cut through all his boys.”

 

“Three!” Tom yelled before kicking the door in. I stepped forward and immediately started deflecting the automatic gunfire that came our way. The moment it stopped Tom shot everyone in the room save Evan, who was hiding behind the desk.

 

“This is a three-man army, fool.” Heat yelled as we stood over him. Although he was taking his time re-loading his guns as if we were still on the other side of the door, he was no threat to us—we’d already killed the major threats.

 

“Do you have any last words before we send you to hell?” Tom asked as he thrust the Wind Tunnel into his mouth. When he pointed his gun at Zeke I cut off the hand holding it at the same time Tom pulled the trigger. Of course, Zeke felt the full brunt of the entrails on him.

 

“Damn, now I’m gonna smell like brains for a week.” He said sarcastically.

 

“Don’t worry about it.” I replied. “Bleach will get that right out.”

 

“We’re out of here, guys.” Tom said as he lit a victory cigar. “Let’s roll.”

 

---

 

When we got back to the base we all took a shower. Me, Ted, Ed and Zeke then went into one of the meeting rooms, where Marina and the rest of my crew were waiting. When we walked in, everyone stood and applauded. “Another job well done!” Marina exclaimed.

 

“The payoff was well worth it, my dear.” I replied. “Now that it’s done, let’s call our employer and let her know the mission is complete. I dialed the number and then put it on speaker phone. After a few moments, someone picked up.

 

“I see your mission was a success.” She said. “I know only because you were able to call. Did you suffer any casualties?”

 

“Of course not.” Ted replied. “Who do you think we are?”

 

“I see…” Eve remarked thoughtfully. “How swift your sword must be...!”

 

“I’m holding what’s left of his head right now, Eve.” I said as I put a box on the table. “My new man Zeke got most of it all over him when I blew it off his shoulders. I’d be more than happy to send it to you as a trophy.”

 

“That won’t be necessary.” Eve said with a laugh. “I believe you. You have no idea how happy I am with this mission’s success. In fact, I have another one lined up for you.”

 

“We’re listening.” I replied. “Go ahead.”

 

“I have another assassination job in mind.” She began. “Because of where it is, only two men—excuse me—people would be able to pull it off.”

 

“Sounds serious.” Ted remarked.

 

“Very,” She replied before adding. “And assuming I did my homework Ted, this will be the perfect kind of job for you, in particular. I want you to break into the Super Max Prison in Colorado and kill the World’s Most Wanted Man, Osama Bin Laden.” Everyone in the room gasped. Not only was the location near-impossible to break out of, never mind INTO, Osama Bin Laden was America’s Trophy during the War on Terrorism. Ted and I were almost killed when we went after him. “I know what you’re thinking already.” Eve continued. “High security, blast-proof walls, sharpshooters everywhere. This is why an all-out assault is not possible. Two people would have the best chance at breaking in and who better than the people who took him down before?”

 

“I never met a place I couldn’t get out of.” Ted remarked. “I survived a triple execution and won't have much to loose. I’ll do it.”

 

“I’ll come with you.” said Ed. “I am the only person here who’s actually been in there, after all.”

 

“Then it’s settled.” I said. “Just remember: At the first sign of trouble, abort the mission.”

 

“Don’t tell me you’re actually nervous, Tomiko?” Ted replied teasingly. “You don’t think I’ll let a little thing like raiding a federal compound stop me, will you? I’m pretty sure I can do it myself to be honest.”

 

“Then it looks like I was right to ask you to do this.” Eve said over the phone. “As before, we’ll be in touch. Once the mission is complete you may call me for payment.” After wishing Ted luck the line went dead.

 

---

 

“You do know what’ll happen if they capture you, right?” Zeke asked me. “They’ll lock you up just for trying.”

 

“Hey, it’s like I said before.” I replied. “I never take on more than I can handle. Besides, as long as I have the Time Blade this mission will be cake.”

 

“Seriously though, Ted,” said Tom. “If something happens to you I’m going to kill myself so I don’t have to break the bad news to Ann or the kids.”

 

“Save it, Mr. Morado.” I said with a laugh. “Don’t tell me you doubt my abilities, now? Am I not the one between us who survived three consecutive death sentences?”

 

“To be honest, I’d feel more comfortable if me and Zeke went.” He replied.

 

“Now you’re starting to sound crazy.” I remarked. “Zeke’s sister and Marina are due in a few days. Do you want to make an orphan out of your unborn child because I’m sure Marina would die giving birth knowing you were dead.”

 

“You know, you have 1 year old twins--one of which has autism--to think about.” said Fin as he came into the room. “And Tom’s right—Mom would kill you if she knew what you were about to do.”

 

“How much did you hear?” I asked.

 

“Enough to know the danger involved.” He replied. “Still, I know there is nothing you can’t do. You're the Aurabolt. If ever I needed someone to jump into the fire with someone, I'd ask you first.”

 

“Looks like I’m on.” I said to Tom. “And Ed, you can stay here—I’m going alone.” I made my transparent wings appear to further emphasize my point.

 

“Godspeed, man.” Zeke said. “Everest, man. This is Everest.”

 

“We’ll toast when I get back with his head in my hands.” I replied as I opened the window. “I’ll see you all later!” I then set out for Colorado. It was at least another day away but I’d handle it in stride. I soon reached the Rockies and new I was close. I flew to the top of a ride to take a break. After a moment I looked and saw that already I’d reached my destination. “So much for waiting a day.” I remarked as I unsheathed the Time Blade.

 

I glided down the embankment for a running start and jumped onto the roof of the facility. I used Thermal Goggles to quickly find America’s Trophy and cut the roof of his cell open soundlessly before peeking in. “Remember me?” I asked him.

 

“What the?!” He exclaimed in Arabic.

 

“You’re coming with me.” I said before he could answer as I pulled him up. Just then, the alarm sounded, signaling it was time for me to leave. I hoisted him on a shoulder and jumped across the compound in the same way I came in, dodging bullets the whole way. After reaching the top of the cliff I kicked him to his knees just as Prison Guards emerged from the Facility. They were close enough to see what I was about to do but far enough to not see my face. “Take one last look at your trophy!” I said before cutting off his head. I then kicked his body down the embankment and stuffed his head in a plastic bag. I then took to the skies once again, this time heading for the Colorado Valley. As I flew past Denver I caught sight of some helicopters following me. Although I could easily outmaneuver them I decided to play their game of cat and mouse.

 

“You on the glider!” Someone boomed over the bullhorn. “Land right now or you will be shot down!” I laughed, as they didn't know my wings were organic. Not that I had any intention of complying, of course. Unsheathing the Time Blade, I turned around to meet them head on.

 

“You’re the ones getting your wings clipped!” I exclaimed as I cut the lead whirly cleanly in half, sending it crashing into the ground below. The remaining two went evasive but that just made things easier for me. “Force Slash!” I said as I hurtled two volleys of energy at the helicopters, destroying them on contact. I watched them crash and burn as they hit the surface. “No one messes with Ted Toss.” I said as I flew away. “Planning gets in the way of execution...”

 

---

 

I opened the door carrying Sheena’s unconscious form on my back. We had explicit instructions not to kill her but she would be waking up soon enough. I set her down on hay inside the room prepared for her and two more women and locked the door behind me. “Whoa, you are good…” A voice behind me said.

 

“Oh, hi Eve,” I said without looking. “I’m pretty sure I said I don’t like it when you do that.”

 

“I see you got Sheena for me.” She said, ignoring the comment. “According to my report she should be full-term now. Still, we need Marina and Gina as well…”

 

“I don’t know about this.” I started. “Sheena was easy but Marina and Gina…may be a problem.”

 

“I’ll just come up with something for Ted and Tom to not be around her, dear.” Eve replied reassuringly. “I've earned their trust, after all. Just tell me how much time you’ll need.” This time I turned to her. She clearly had no idea what the f**k she was messing with.

 

“Marina can use Holy Energy offensively and Gina’s never too far from Fin.” I explained. “And once they find out Sheena’s missing that’ll up things quite a bit. I’m not one to doubt good help but I am wondering why you want these three specifically.”

 

“Katrina, please come with me.” She said as she opened the door. I followed her upstairs to a room I’d never seen before. As we came close to the room I could hear what sounded like many women crying out in agony. “What I have to show you, you must swear never to tell another living soul outside this facility.”

 

“What’s that sound?” I asked her, not sure if I really wanted to know. “It sounds like...!”

 

“Why don’t you open the door and see for yourself?” She dared. I looked to see if she was serious and the look she gave me told me she was dead on. I looked through the window but couldn’t make out what was in this room that was the source of such suffering. I opened the door, stepped inside and felt the blood leave my face instantly.

 

“Oh, my God…” I trailed.

 

---

 

“Hey, I’m back!” Ted said as he burst into my office. “I'm back in once piece like I said I would. And I’ve got his head with me, too.”

 

“Heh, you’re just in time to see yourself on TV.” I replied as I switched to CNN.

 

“If you’re just joining us, we’re following breaking news out of Colorado.” said the news reporter. “We’ve just learned Osama Bin Laden, once the world’s most wanted man was broken out of prison and then killed by an unknown assassin. Details at this point are unknown but investigators agree this was a planned hit on America’s Trophy…”

 

“And would you believe they didn’t get my face?!” Ted asked with a laugh. “I was flawless!”

 

“…When authorities chased after the assassin, he turned and using an unknown weapon shot down three helicopters, killing everyone on board. Reinforcements were withdrawn for fear of further repatriation…”

 

“That was just beautiful.” I said after turning off the TV. “I hope Eve was watching that!”

 

“How about we dial her up and let her know I got his head?” Ted suggested.

 

“I was just about to say that.” I replied with a laugh. I picked up the phone and dialed the number. After a few rings she picked up the phone.

 

“Tom? I wasn’t expecting you to call me so quick.” She said. It sounded like we’d just interrupted something she was doing on the other end. “You got his head already?”

 

“Don’t you watch the news?” I countered with a laugh. “Ted did it, and in record time!”

 

“I am convinced now that I can depend on you for anything now.” she said, this time more relaxed. Right then I heard what sounded like screaming in the background. “As you can see, I’ve been having trouble finding good help these days.” She said in response to the noise. “I will be coming tomorrow at noon to pick up the package personally.”

 

“What do you have for us this time?” I asked, knowing another mission was involved.

 

“You’ll find out when we speak in person.” She replied with a chuckle before hanging up.

 

“It looks we’ve got a regular here!” Ted exclaimed. “I like where this is going, Tomiko. I'm looking forward to the next job, too.”

 

“If we have a few more like her then we won’t have to worry about where our next income will come from.” I remarked. “Come on, let’s tell the others.” When Ted opened the door Zeke came bursting in, exhausted.

 

“What’s going on?” I demanded.

 

“It’s Sheena.” He said breathlessly. “She’s missing!”

 

---

 

I pulled the van into the motel where me and Sheena were staying. When I came to the apartment the door was broken and there were obvious signs of struggle. Ted, Tom, Marina, Ed and Kodak rode in as well to help look for clues. “Why would someone kidnap a pregnant woman?” Marina asked as she and Tom looked in the bathroom.

 

“I think the question we should be asking is why Sheena.” Tom replied as he and I looked around the bedroom. The wallpaper was torn to shreds and the beds were overturned. Apparently someone ransacked the place after the kidnapping happened.

 

“Tom, Zeke!” Marina exclaimed from the living room. “We found something you should see!” We went back in the main room as Ted and Ed pulled down the last of the curtains. There, written on the glass with lipstick was a message:

 

If you want to see Sheena again, bring Marina and Gina to the Alamo in Texas within five days. If not, you will never see her again.

 

Signed, Katrin

 

“What the hell?!” Ted exclaimed. “Why would Katrin kidnap her?”

 

“I don’t know but I plan to find out.” I replied.

 

“Now that I think of it, she came by the base 2 days ago.” Marina said suddenly. We all turned to her. “It was while you were on that other mission. She said she was looking for her daughter, Evelyn.”

 



© 2008 Brendan2k5


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

132 Views
Added on February 20, 2008


Author

Brendan2k5
Brendan2k5

Boston, MA



About
I'm a Writery by hobby and up until recently my work has only been up for public viewing at my own website and Fictionpress. I've written many stories since 8th Grade and have decided to bring my newe.. more..

Writing
Backlash Backlash

A Chapter by Brendan2k5


Pardoning Pardoning

A Chapter by Brendan2k5