Sunshine After the Rain

Sunshine After the Rain

A Chapter by Brendan2k5
"

For some of the people in this chapter, they will soon discover that sometimes, something must be given up in order to get what they want the most.

"

 

---

 

Chapter 9: Sunshine After the Rain

 

---

 

After Celes saved my life, the pregnancy went on as if the incident that almost killed me never happened. It took me awhile to convince Myra that what happened before wasn’t going to happen again. I took up Celes and Alex’s offer and moved into their house. I had to admit it was nice having a place to send mail to.

 

When I was a few days from giving birth to my second daughter, Celes just started her fifth month of pregnancy. School was over for the summer and everyone decided to celebrate by spending vacation on Martha’s Vineyard in Massachusetts. Celes and Katrin’s parents had a house on the island we could use and I decided to take them up on their offer. Myra would like it as well. “This is the furthest I’ve ever been from New York.” I said when we finally arrived. “It’s all so fresh and clear out here…”

 

“Only in New England,” Jenna said before laughing. “Will you find weather patterns like this all year round!”

 

“I could get used to this.” I said in amazement as I looked around the house. It was a two-story house with lots of big windows. One had an amazing view of Nantucket Sound. You could even see Nantucket Island in the distance. I looked through another widow and could see the beach.

 

“If you ever feel the need for a swim, go right ahead.” Katrin said as she came into the kitchen. “I had our area fenced and the water is safe. Just don’t drink any of it!”

 

“I’ll have to remember that.” I said as I stared at the shores again. It was pretty inviting.

 

“Would you like to go for a swim?” Celes asked me as she came in. “I don’t know about you but that helped me a lot when I was having Aeris.”

 

“I thought you’d never ask.” I replied. “I’ll go get ready.” I went upstairs and changed into the maternity bikini I bought in New York. I’d actually bought it when I was having Myra but only used it a few times. When I went back downstairs I saw Celes had changed as well.

 

“I make it a habit to swim first thing when I get here.” She said. “That and the water can be real nice this time of year.”

 

“Can I wear the swimsuit you got me?” Myra asked as she came from the patio facing the water.

 

“It’s upstairs on your bed.” I replied. She gave a cheer and went upstairs to change. I then turned to Celes and said “This is her first time at a beach.”

 

“She’ll love it.” Celes replied. As we waited on the patio for Myra to come back down Celes told me about what she was doing in New York and the large family she had that kept getting bigger every year. I listened in amazement.

 

“It makes me wish I knew my own.” I said. “Both of my parents died on 9/11. I had two brothers but they've been missing since then. Every birthday is the anniversary of their deaths. Myra and the new baby are the only family I have.”

 

“You must have had a rough childhood.” She remarked. “I can’t relate because I not only have both my parents but I still have all my brothers and sisters. You didn’t have any of that growing up.”

 

“The only guy I really loved is gone, too.” I said, more to myself than Celes. “One phone call and just like that, you’re a single parent.”

 

“He died?” she asked.

 

“In a construction accident,” I replied. “The irony is he was the safety inspector. They were setting up a building when several I-Beams came loose and fell. It killed him and 9 others instantly.”

 

“That accident in Queens a few months back…” Celes said. “I read about it in the New York Post.”

 

“Myra doesn’t talk about him but I think she understands her dad’s gone.” I said. “I’ll talk to her about it again when she’s old enough to understand.”

 

“How do I look?” Myra asked as she came out of the house.

 

“Ready for your first swim!” I replied.

 

“She can dress herself?” Celes asked me.

 

“Yep!” Me and Myra said at the same time before sharing a laugh. We went down to the water’s edge and had the time of our lives. Myra had fun playing in the water and I enjoyed seeing her have a good time. Alex ordered Pizza and Katrin started work on a sandcastle. For the first time for as long as I could remember, I was happy to be around such good friends. When I’d had enough of swimming for the day I sat on the beach and watched Myra help Katrin with the sand castle.

 

“Celes, you’re here!” I heard someone say. I turned and two men—one much older than the other—walking along the beach. Celes waved them over.

 

“It’s good to see you, Ken!” She replied.” If you’re looking for my father, he’ll be coming in two weeks. Something came up and he said he and Tom had to take care of it.”

 

“That’s just like him.” Ken replied. “Me and Shaun here were passing through when we saw the lights and figured he’d be here.”

 

“Sorry I couldn’t be much help.” I replied. “I’m here with guests but you’re welcome to stay if you’d like…”

 

“Everything ok?” I asked Celes as I walked closer to the group.

 

“Lena, I want you to meet the neighbors.” She replied. “This is Ken and his son, Shaun. Ken and my father were once on the same City Year team and Shaun’s about our age as well.”

 

“Pleased to meet you, Lena.” Ken replied as he shook my hand. “And congratulations on the new baby.”

 

“Thank you!” I said as I felt my face turn red.

 

“It’s nice to meet another Bostonian around my age.” Shaun said.

 

“I’m from New York.” I replied, but then quickly added. “I’m a Sox fan, though.”

 

“Would that be before or after the Red Sox won the 2004 World Series?” Shaun asked.

 

“After the Red Sox-Yankees 2003 ALCS outcome,” I replied.

 

“Good answer!” Ken and Celes said at the same time before laughing.

 

“It must be hard being a Sox fan in the Big Apple.” Ken said.

 

“I manage.” I replied. “People stopped bothering me about it after the Red Sox beat the Yankees the following season.”

 

“Do you play?” asked Shaun.

 

“I played a lot of pickup games in Brooklyn.” I said. “Before I got pregnant, that is.”

 

“What position?” he asked.

 

“I played shortstop.” I said. “Most of the time I’m known to make the guys in the outfield duck when I’m at bat.”

 

“A power hitter!” Ken exclaimed. “That’s just what we could use in the Cape Cod League!”

 

“It’s a special tournament held every year.” Celes explained. “The best players from Cape Cod, Nantucket and The Vineyard play in a special tournament. The winning team gets to play in a special Exhibition Game against the Pawtucket Red Sox in September. Mark Anthony was going to be in it but since he moved they’ve been a little short.”

 

“The games are in September.” said Shaun. “We’ve got plenty of time to find someone but it’s finding someone that’s proving to be a challenge.”

 

“I’ll ask Alex if he can fill in.” Celes replied. “Before we got engaged he played for the Paw Sox.” She then left to go inquire about playing on Shaun’s team. A few moments later she returned. “He’ll do it.” She said with a smile.

 

“Alight!” Ken exclaimed. “I’ll go call the Team Coach and let him know we got enough players right away. Thank you so much for making this happen Celes.”

 

“No thanks needed.” She replied. “You can go in the house and call right now.

 

“Much thanks.” He repeated before turning to Shaun. “If you want son, you can talk to Lena about something other than baseball. We don’t want Celes’ guest to think all we care about is baseball! I know it’s hard now that we have a full team but at least try.” With that, Celes and Ken went inside, leaving the two of us alone. I couldn't help but wonder if the two of us were set up to meet this way.

 

“So...how long have you been on the island?” I asked Shaun as we walked along the beach.

 

“All my life,” He replied. “We have a winter home in Milton where I go to school. Dad says I should know about the world on the mainland. What about your parents?”

 

“They’re dead.” I said. “Both died in a car accident on the day I was born.”

 

“My mom died giving birth to me.” He replied. “I know it’s not the same but I know what it’s like to loose a parent without ever knowing them. Even though Dad remarried and I have 2-half brothers I keep a picture of her in my wallet. He took it out and showed it to me.

 

“She looks just like you.” I commented.

 

“Thanks.” He replied. “I don’t dwell on all the ‘what ifs’ and such, you know? I like to keep things in perspective most of the time.”

 

“That’s one way to look at it.” I said as I heard Myra approaching.

 

“Mommy, we did it!” She exclaimed as she pointed to the sandcastle she worked on with Katrin. “It’s so big I can crawl inside and Katrin said she’s going to make it so it’ll be permanent!”

 

“I think your father would like it if he saw it.” I said with a smile. “This is Shaun, by the way. He lives next door from us. Shaun, this is my daughter, Myra.”

 

“Nice to meet you, Myra.” He said as he shook her hand.

 

“You’re cool!” She replied.

 

“I get that a lot!” Shaun said with a laugh. “Hearing it from you makes me even more cool!” He tickled her playfully and she laughed herself silly. After she’d had enough she ran back to her new castle. “That kid’s got a lot of energy.” He commented.

 

“I think she gets it from me.” I replied with a laugh. “It helps when I’m in need of cheering up.”

 

“If you don’t mind my asking, where’s her dad?” Shaun asked. My smile vanished almost instantly. Seeing this made Shaun a bit nervous. “If it’s something you don’t want to talk about, then—“

 

“No, it’s ok.” I replied. “Most people who see her and me looking like this just assume I’m a tramp or something. For some reason people feel they must go out of their way to lecture a pregnant teen without knowing all the facts. I’m a widow. Her father died in a construction accident a few months ago. After he was buried I found out I was pregnant again. Then another boyfriend from a previous relationship tries to kill me and her but I met Celes and the rest is history.”

 

“That must have been tough.” Shaun replied. “After having to deal with your parents being gone and then all that…”

 

“Yeah,” I said, not fazed all. “But I don’t like to dwell on all the ‘what ifs’, you know? I like to keep things in perspective most of the time.”

 

“I see we share the same philosophy.” Shaun replied with a smile.

 

“It looks like it,” I said before letting out a gasp of surprise. “Sounds like my other daughter’s awake.” I said to Shaun as I felt the baby kicking. I leaned close to him and whispered into his ear “Would you like to feel it?” When he nodded I took his hand in mine and put it on the spot where all the moving was going on. After awhile it faded away.

 

“Show’s over, I guess.” He said as he looked into my eyes. I could tell he was awestruck with what he’d just experienced.

 

“Not until the pregnant woman sings.” I said before kissing him. After urging him on we went deeper and deeper in our moment of intimacy. The sunset made it the perfect photo opportunity for anyone nearby with a camera. When we finally ended the look of satisfaction I gave him told me we would be seeing more of each other this season.

 

“Was that your first time?” I asked him.

 

“Yeah.”

 

“Not bad.”

 

---

 

 

“I see Lena and Shaun have hit it off already.” I commented as we watched them from the patio. “I just hope he knows he’d have to make a huge commitment if he wanted to have a relationship with her.”

 

“Something tells me everything will work out.” Katrin said before flashing Ken a grin.

 

“You set them up?” I asked.

 

“If you want to call it that.” Ken replied with a smile. “Katrin called a few hours ago and asked if I could arrange for Shaun to be here around sunset. All I had to do was mention the possibility of a new player and it was easy.”

 

“When Lena told me she was looking for someone her age, that was my clue that the father of her children was out of the picture.” Said Katrin. “I didn’t know why but now none of that matters anymore.”

 

“It might, considering her birthday is also the day her parents died.” I replied. “I know Shaun lost his mom in a similar fashion, but let’s just say I think we should take Lena’s emotional well-being into consideration, more for the baby’s sake than anything else.”

 

“I think you’re worrying too much.” Said Katrin. “If Lena didn’t feel up to it she wouldn’t be with him right now. I think you need to give her a little credit and let her be.” After the pizzas were finished and Ken and Shaun went home everybody turned in for the night. Katrin and Jenna slept in separate rooms and I shared a room with Alex, as did Lena with Myra. I put a two-way radio in Lena’s room so she could call one of us if she needed help in the middle of the night. After Lena, Myra, Aeris and Alex went to sleep Jenna helped me set up a makeshift Hospital Exam Room in the attic.

 

While everyone was outside I had Jenna make use of Mark Anthony’s Teleport Technology and transfer some of the things at our house in New York. There was a hospital on the island but since I knew it was often crowded this time of year I decided to set it up at our summer home. “I think we’ll be ok with these.” Jenna said after making the final adjustments. “Celes’ Home Clinic is now open for business!”

 

“Real funny.” I said, remembering the silly joke Katrin made when I set up our Brooklyn basement. “Now that we’re done let’s go get some sleep. I’m really tired and don’t want to accidentally put this baby in distress.”

 

“Do you need help getting downstairs?” Jenna asked with concern. I could get Alex or Katrin to help you.”

 

“That’s fine, but I’ll sleep up here.” I replied. “I’d be more comfortable on one of these, anyway.”

 

“If you change your mind, call me.” Jenna said before going downstairs.

 

“Believe me, I won’t.” I said before Jenna shut door. After her footsteps faded I grabbed an ultrasound machine and pulled it over to my bed. I lifted up my shirt, squeezed gel onto the instrument and pressed it against my belly. A few seconds later the baby appeared on the monitor, followed by its heartbeat--an irregular heartbeat. “That’s odd…” I said as I watched the monitor closely.

 

“What is?” a new voice said. I was so startled I almost dropped the receiver. I looked and saw it was Lena, much to my surprise. “Sorry I scared you.” She said as she came over. “I just happened to find a ladder in my room closet.”

 

“One of the emergency exits.” I replied. “I forgot I unlocked it awhile ago.”

 

“So, were you going to tell me what you found?” she asked. “Unless it’s something…”

 

“My baby has an irregular heartbeat.” I replied as I pointed to the monitor. “It’s strange because I haven’t done anything yet to cause it.”

 

“Is it in trouble?” Lena asked with concern.

 

“It’ll go away in a few weeks.” I replied. “I’ll have to sleep with an oxygen mask for awhile, though. That should help it resume the proper rhythm.”

 

“Do you know what it is yet?” she asked.

 

“It’s another girl.” I said after looking at the screen for a bit. “Looks like we have yet another thing in common.”

 

“We’re both pregnant 17 year-olds and we’re both expecting our second daughters.” Lena said with a laugh.

 

“That's one way of putting it.” I replied before letting out a gasp of surprise. “My baby’s kicking for the first time!” I told Lena excitedly.

 

“That’s definitely the best part about this.” She replied with a smile. “Now mine’s starting to kick again.” I pressed the ultrasound to her belly and I immediately picked up an increased heartbeat. Right away I knew it could mean only one thing.

 

“You’re going to be holding your daughter soon.” I said. “Right now she’s getting ready to meet the world.”

 

“I hope so.” Lena replied. “Do you think Shaun would be ok if I ask him to be there for me? I know we just met but it would mean a lot if he could come.”

 

“The hospital has rules on this kind of stuff.” I said. “They only allow relatives to be there for the birth.”

 

“If that’s the case, I want my daughter to be born here.” She replied before leaving. The next morning I woke up to find Katrin standing over me.

 

“What are you doing?” I asked in surprise.

 

“Good, you’re up.” She said as she opened the shutters, letting in light. “I need you to come downstairs right now. It’s important.” Without saying anything more she went down the stairs to the first floor. After thinking for a moment, one of two possible reasons for her to wake me up came to mind: Lena was in labor or something serious had just happened to Mom or Dad. Almost completely forgetting I had a baby growing inside me I jumped off the bed and ran down the stairs two at a time. When I reached the living room I saw Shaun and Ken were present, along with Jenna, Myra and Alex.

 

“What’s going on?” I asked, now fully alert.

 

“I should ask you, Celes!” Jenna exclaimed in surprise. “I’ve never seen a pregnant woman move so fast before!”

 

“Lena and I have an announcement to make.” said Shaun as the two held hands. “We’re getting married.”

 

“WHAT?!” Me and Ken exclaimed at the same time.

 

“You’ve only just met!” I exclaimed.

 

“Now we are the ones who need to confess something to you.” said Lena with a grin. “Shaun and I have known each other for 3 years. I’m originally from Worcester, MA but I’ve lived in New York most of my life. Shaun and I worked at a summer camp in Beckett for 3 summers and that’s where we first met.”

 

“Even though we worked in the same place we never really knew each other that well.” said Shaun. “When we talked yesterday things came together. When she told me she’d been homeless for 5 years that did it for me.”

 

“I really didn’t know that…” Katrin trailed.

 

“Nor were you supposed to.” said Lena sternly. “Who wants everyone to know you’re homeless in New York City, anyways?”

 

“When will you get married and where?” asked Ken.

 

“The ceremony will be held on the beach tomorrow at dusk.” Lena replied. “Alex agreed to do the ceremony.”

 

“I did?!” He asked in surprise.

 

“Of course, Clergyman!” Katrin exclaimed. “You heard them. They want YOU to marry them tomorrow!”

 

“Th-there’s no way I’ll be ready in time!” he replied, clearly flustered. “I’ll need to get legal documents and other things—“

 

“Which I already did,” Said Katrin as she thrust a folder into his hands. “Now you have no excuse. We’re doing it tomorrow!”

 

“HOLD IT!” I exclaimed. “When did anyone agree to anything? Alex is clearly being set up, Ken and I are clueless and Katrin, you’re making it seem like your life depends on their getting married!”

 

“Now that’s just a bit much.” Katrin started.

 

“OBJECTION!” I shot back. “No, it’s not! This is something I’ve been wondering since we got here for awhile. What the f**k is going on with you?! You’ve been doing a lot of things that are definitely NOT you.”

 

“Guys...” Jenna suddenly said.

 

“Not now, Jenna.” I said before getting ready to launch another round of questioning.

 

“You’re the one who’s been acting so protective of Lena, Celes.“ said Katrin. “If anything, I should be questioning you!”

 

”GUYS!” Jenna shouted. Everyone stopped and looked at her. “Where’s Myra?”

 

”What?” asked Lena as we looked around the room. She was gone!

 

”She went out the back door!” Alex said as we went into the kitchen. We stepped outside and saw small footprints going around the side of the house to the front.

 

“Me and Ken will cut her off.” Said Jenna as she turned and went back inside. Me, Shaun, Katrin and Lena followed the trail. We came around the side in time to see Myra crossing the street.

 

”MYRA!” Lena exclaimed with dread. When I saw the car four feet from hitting her I immediately knew her fear. Even with our special powers there was no way either me or Katrin could save her in time. We watched helplessly as the car struck Myra, sending her flying across the street. I thought for sure I was going to watch Lena die of shock.

 

”Damn it!” Jenna said as she and the others came out the front door. When we approached her she was very still.

 

”Is she…?” asked Lena as Alex checked for a pulse. He picked her up and carried her to his outdoor chapel in the backyard, where we followed him.

 

He placed her upon the altar and said, “Lord, take this poor child into your kingdom. Go with God, Myra. Go With God.” And that’s when Lena lost it.

 

”NO!” She wailed. “NOT my first born! NO! Anything but that! Take me instead! TAKE ME!”

 

”Lena, calm down!” Shaun exclaimed as he tried to restrain her from hurting herself. She resisted at first but let Shaun hold her as she cried her heart out.

 

”I’ve got nothing...” said Jenna as she backed away.

 

”We should leave her here to mourn.” Alex whispered. “You reacted the same way when after Jenna died.”

 

”That was different.” I replied. “Unlike Jenna, Myra was only a child and I still can’t believe you gave her the last rites! What in the world is the matter with you?!”

 

”Give her to me, Alex.” Katrin said suddenly.

 

“Why?” I asked. Lena and Shaun looked up in surprise as well. With Myra in her arms she began to sing. The song she sang was a tune I’d never heard before. Katrin and Myra started to glow brightly. When Katrin finished the song, she handed Myra back to Alex before collapsing in exhaustion and Myra was alive!

 

“Where am I...?” she asked.

 

“Back in the land of the living!” Alex replied. “Katrin, what was that?”

 

“I call it the Song of Rebirth.” She explained. “I traded a huge chunk of my energy to reunite her soul and body and restored them whole, too. Having said that, I need to rest.”

 

“Oh!” Lena cried, holding her stomach.

 

“And it looks like we just put her in labor.” I said. “Looks like that wedding will have to wait then, huh?”

 

---

 

“The baby’s coming fast!” I exclaimed once we were back inside. “Damn it, what the hell is wrong with you people?!”

 

“We don’t usually argue.” Celes replied. “This is the first time someone got born from our arguing, too.”

 

“Please don’t make me laugh.” I replied with disdain. “I don’t need that right now.”

 

“Ok, I can see you’re really mad at us now.” She said. “At least we know Myra’s going to be ok and as you wanted, Shaun’s here too.”

 

“Does this mean the wedding’s been postponed?” Alex asked.

 

“No!” Shaun and I said at the same time.

 

“We need to get her upstairs.” Celes said to Jenna. “And fast.”

 

“What is it?” I asked with concern.

 

“You’re ready to deliver is all.” she replied. “Just don’t push yet.”

 

“Easier said then done, b***h!” I shot back as another contraction tore through me.

 

“Just ignore that.” Celes said to Shaun. “Women are the most profane when giving birth.”

 

Only minutes later my second daughter was born. When she came out Jenna and Celes immediately began working on her. “What happened?” Katrin asked before I could.

 

“She’s not breathing.” Celes replied as the two continued.

 

“WHAT?!” I exclaimed. I tried to get up but my exhausted body wouldn’t allow it.

 

“She lost consciousness during birth.” Said Jenna. “I have a pulse but a very weak one.”

 

“We’re looking at serious brain damage if we can’t get her lungs working ASAP.” Said Celes. Moments later my baby finally began to cry. “That’s a relief.” Celes said after her color began to return. “But she wasn’t breathing for some time. I’m concerned about possible neurological damage.”

 

“Can I hold her?” I asked.

 

“Of course.” Celes replied as she handed the bundle to me carefully.

 

“How soon will we know of any damage?” asked Jenna.

 

“It may take years before it shows, if any.” She replied with a sigh. “We only just found out Nick has autism, after all.”

 

“Can you leave if you’re going to keep talking about that?” I asked them. “I don’t need to be hearing about all the things that could be wrong with her right now.”

 

“Sorry.” Said Celes as she and Jenna left the room. I was hurt by this. Was something really wrong with her?

 

“What’s her name?” Shaun me.

 

“I’m naming her Shauna Davis-Evans.” I replied with a smile. “She’s named after you.”

 

“I guess this means we’re definitely on, then.” Said Shaun. “I’ll go get Myra.” After he left only Katrin remained in the room with me and Shauna.

 

“Once again, Celes’ resourcefulness pulled through in a pinch.” She remarked with a chuckle. “And to think Mark Anthony was supposed to be the family genius…”

 

“We're going to need to move you downstairs.” Jenna said as she suddenly came upstairs.

 

“What happed?” I asked with concern. Ken came up the stairs with a young child that looked no older than Myra. Her clothes were wet, meaning she’d just been in the water.

 

“Alex was outside when he saw her wash up on shore.” Jenna explained. “She might have been abandoned by her parents.”

 

“Can you help her?” I asked Celes as she came into the room.

 

“I...I really don’t know.” She said. “She doesn’t look good at all. We need you out of the room as well, by the way.” Shaun and Alex helped me move to my bedroom while Celes and Jenna worked on the child. This time the trap door was locked so there would be no peeking.

 

“I hope the girl’s ok.” said Shaun. “The water’s warm this time of year but it looks like she swallowed a lot.”

 

“We can only hope and pray.” I replied.

 

“Don’t bother.” An exhausted Celes replied as she came in from the trap door. “She’s dead.”

 

“Not even my song could help her…” Katrin trailed, equally saddened. “You’d almost think Myra and that innocent child’s lives were exchanged somehow…”

 

“It could be you haven’t fully recovered from using it on Myra.” Celes replied. “You practically fainted after using it before.”

 

“Maybe…” Katrin said thoughtfully. I could see this was really bothering her. “All I know is one child that should have died is alive and another that should be alive is dead.”

 

“This could’ve all been avoided if you weren’t arguing downstairs.” I said. “There’s no changing all that’s happened but it was avoidable.”

 

“Well, Katrin started it.” Celes remarked thoughtfully.

 

“Don’t even start that!” Katrin exclaimed. “You were the one who wanted to argue!”

 

“Now you’re both arguing!” I screamed. “Jeez, you’re sisters for crying out loud! You should be getting along, not fighting!”

 

“If you knew what it was about you might let it go on.” Katrin replied.

 

“Right now, I don’t want to know.” I said. “In fact, after I’ve gotten my strength back I’m staying with Shaun.”

 

“But Lena!” Celes exclaimed.

 

“I’m not gonna argue!” I shot back. “And I’m not going to stay in the same house as people who want to argue over something that’s not their concern.”

 

“You knew?” she asked with a look of surprise.

 

“Katrin told me everything on the way from New York.” I replied. “I can’t believe you were going to experiment on Shauna. It’s lucky Katrin set up that accident to make me go into labor.”

 

“I knew there was something strange about what happened to Myra.” Said Celes. “If that was a setup then Katrin should be able to bring that girl back to life.”

 

“Sorry but I really can’t.” she replied. “The song I used wasn't the Song of Restoration. What I really used was the Dirge of Exchange. When I did my song on Myra, that child’s life was exchanged for Myra’s. When we found her she was already dead. Had I any idea a child was nearby wouldn't have used that song...”

 

“This is all getting weird.” Said Jenna. “Once again, someone forgot to tell me anything!”

 

“We didn’t want you involved.” I replied. “Katrin was afraid you’d spill everything to Celes.”

 

“Ever since I came back form the dead people have been taking turns using me.” Jenna remarked. “And now I’m really getting sick of it. I’m going back to New York—alone!” She walked out the room and went downstairs. Moments later we heard the front door bang loudly.

 

“This whole thing is your fault.” Celes said to Katrin. “No thanks to you, my best friend is gone!”

 

“Actually, it’s yours.” I replied curtly. “Had you not been so selfish and secretive it would’ve never happened. You’ve already got your own daughters. You might want to spend more time worrying about them than mine.”

 

“What did you say?!” She exclaimed, her voice full of shock.

 

“I’ll go find Jenna.” Katrin said as she turned to leave.

 

“Stay.” Alex said. Everyone in the room froze. “I mean it! If you leave now, I'll report you missing!”

 

“If it wasn’t for me Lena Davis, you’d be dead right now.” Celes said in a tone I’d never heard before. “You and your children for that matter. I save your life and Shauna’s life and this is the thanks I get? I really didn't have to put you back together, you know.”

 

“Celes, she didn’t mean anything by it!” Katrin exclaimed.

 

“I should kick your a*s right now for saying that!” said Celes before she drew her sword and pointed it at Katrin. “But since my friend just left I’m going to go looking for her and I’m taking Aeris with me. I don’t want anyone in this room to follow me either. When I catch up to her I’m going back to New York.” With that, she put her sword away, walked out of the room and slammed the door closed.

 

---

 

I threw some things in the minivan and put Aeris in her suitcase as well. I knew Jenna was still on the island—possibly on her way to the ferry. As I started the car, Alex came out. “Wait!” He exclaimed.

 

“Aren’t you marrying those two?” I asked him.

 

“Yeah, but you’re to be my wife!” He replied. “Where are you going with our daughter?”

 

“She’s MY daughter!” I exclaimed, pointing at Aeris. “Not yours. Just mine.”

 

“I meant the one growing inside you.” He replied. “That one is as much mine as it is yours.”

 

“When you’re done here, come back to New York.” I said before driving off. I had a million thoughts running through my head but the need to find Jenna pushed them all aside. When I reached the Ferry it was just departing. I looked and could not see Jenna anywhere on the dock. I spotted her on the deck of the ferry and decided to jump on.

 

I stomped the gas and charged over the barrier. The van sailed through the air and instead of landing on the ferry it cleared it and hit the water. “Damn it!” I exclaimed, mad that I had missed the target completely. With the car quickly filling up with water I unbuckled Aeris from her car seat and put on the life jacket I bought for her on the island.

 

I reached further and grabbed a bag containing two oxygen tanks just as the van became completely submerged. Aeris floated to the roof of the van as I undid my seatbelt. I opened the valve of the first tank and put it in Aeris’ mouth so she could breathe. When I tried my own the valve failed to open. Quickly I opened the door, grabbed Aeris and swam to the surface.

 

I reached the surface just in time. With the hard part out of the way, me and Aeris boarded the ferry. “That was quite a show.” Jenna said while we dried off on the deck. “I'm sorry to sat this but it was in vain. I’m not going back with you.”

 

“I wasn’t going to ask that.” I said. “I wanted you to come back to New York with me.”

 

“What happened?” she asked.

 

“Katrin and Lena is what happened.” I replied. “After everything you and I did for them, they threatened Aeris and my other baby.”

 

“Why would they do that?” She asked.

 

“Because they’re crazy.” I replied. “That’s the only explanation I can think of.” When we returned to our Brooklyn house the FBI was waiting for us. “Do you live here?” one of them asked me.

 

“Yes.” I said.

 

“I’m Special Agent Andrew Charles.” He said. “I’m here to investigate reports of a Nuclear Missile being built here.”

 

“Wrong house.” I replied. “It’s the one next door.”

 

“We already know that and we found over $500,000 worth of stolen Medical equipment in your basement.” He said. “I need you to answer some questions.”

 

“I just came from Martha’s Vineyard.” I said as I read his mind. “I used an advanced alien technology to pilfer all the stuff you found and have no intention of giving them back or going to prison.”

 

“That’s the only place you’ll be going.” He said as he reached for his gun.

 

“Don’t.” I said as I put my sword to his chest. “Order your men to get the f**k off my property and you get to keep your head.”

 

“Drop your weapon!” another agent yelled as he pointed his gun at me. I turned and cut off his hands still holding the gun before turning back to Agent Charles.

 

“Do you really want to die here?” I asked. “I could care less about the f*****g US Marshals. If you thought Mara Mankiller was a pain in the a*s you ain’t seen s**t yet.”

 

“Everybody, get back!” he yelled at the top of his voice. “I want everyone off the property!” Within minutes everyone had cleared out. I still held the sword to his head, however. “You’re going to regret this.” He said. “Mark my words.”

 

“Dead men tell no tales.” I said before kicking him to his knees. The other agents pointed their weapons at us upon seeing this.

 

“Don’t even think about it!” Jenna said as she picked up both guns on the ground and pointed them at the agents.

 

“Any last words, Agent Charles?” I asked as I raised my sword high.

 

“F**k you!” He spat. I brought the sword down to bear and decapitated him. I then deflected the retaliatory bullets as Jenna took Aeris inside. When they all ran out I called upon the power known as Force Energy.

 

“Prepare to die!” I said as several dozen copies of myself appeared behind me. “Prism Sword!” With the copies, all the Agents were reduced to mincemeat. After finishing the messy job I sheathed my sword and went inside.

 

“That’s the 3rd time in as many months.” Jenna said with a laugh.

 

“It never gets old.” I replied. I did some nosing around and learned the neighbors next door skipped town soon after we’d left. With no one to arrest, apparently they grew bored and decided to be nosy for no reason. Fortunately, the hospital I work at had no idea I was the one who took a lot of stuff. Of course, it had long since been replaced but I saw some new things I wanted to add to the basement.

 

“I only have one more day to go.” Jenna said when she came home a few weeks after we returned to New York. “After tomorrow I can begin work as a med student!”

 

“That’s nice, but I done finished my classes 2 years ago.” I replied. “After next week you can officially add 'Doctor' to my name.”

 

“Then you could legally run a clinic downstairs!” Jenna exclaimed.

 

“Maybe…” I replied thoughtfully.

 

“What is it?” She asked.

 

It’s just….me and Alex are getting married the day after he comes back.” I replied. “Having milked this town dry we were going to move to Chicago and I was hoping you’d come with us.”

 

“Of course I will!” she exclaimed as she gave me a hug. “I was a little worried you’d leave me out.”

 

“I wouldn’t do that to my best friend.” I said. “Aeris is going to turn two soon and with the new baby I could use the change of pace.” We ended up not having to wait too long, as Alex, Katrin, Shaun Lena, Myra and baby Shauna came two days later. Shaun wanted to get a look at the “Evil Empire” firsthand though apparently Myra convinced him to live with her and Katrin. Apparently, Alex told her we were moving.

 

“Now that we’re back little sister, are you ready for your own wedding?” Katrin asked me.

 

“I’m always ready!” I replied. “We’ve had all the clothes for days and the whole family will be arriving soon tonight.”

 

“Did you invite Zeke, Sheena, Tom, Marina, Hannah, Terra, Serenity and Mark Anthony?” she asked me.

 

“Yes, and they’re all coming.” I said. “It’s been a few months since I’ve seen Mark Anthony.” After going over the rest of my checklist with Alex and Katrin we rented a charter bus and went to the airport to pick up my family, who was coming in on different flights.

 

Mom, Dad, Angel and the twins were coming from Boston. Since they drove to the airport (which surprised us) they didn’t have to worry about jet lag. “It’s good to see you!” Mom said as we embraced. “I still can’t believe my 2nd born daughter is getting married first.”

 

“Mom!” Katrin exclaimed. “We already talked about this. Midas lives on another planet and although we want get married we just can’t right now.”

 

“You know I’m just teasing.” She replied with a laugh.

 

“So where’s this new CYNY Corps Member I’ve heard so much about?” Dad asked me. Then Lena walked over with her daughters.

 

“Mom and Dad, meet Lena Davis and her daughters Myra and Shauna.” I said. “She just got married with Shaun on Martha’s Vineyard.”

 

“I knew I saw a resemblance!” he exclaimed as he shook hands with Shaun. “How’s your dad doing these days?”

 

“He’s doing good.” Shaun replied. “He coaches the team now.”

 

“Look at me!” Someone nearby exclaimed. “I’m the King of New York!” Everyone turned and saw Mark Anthony, Terra and Serenity. Mark Anthony looked very different now. He still wore glasses but that was now overshadowed by the muscles that fitted his arms and legs.

 

“What a nice mix of brains and brawn, son.” said Dad as they embraced. “I see you’ve been training your body a lot in Seattle.”

 

“I manage.” He replied with a laugh.

 

“Hannah and Kevin are coming with Fin and Gina.” said Katrin. “Look, there they are now!” When the group came into the lobby hugs and exchanges went around. That had to be cut short because the flight Tom, Marina, Zeke and Sheena were on arrived next.

 

“Everyone, meet my sister.” said Zeke. “I wanted her to see the people who gave us peace at the boarder.”

 

“It’s nice to meet you.” said Tom.

 

“Is it me or are half the ladies here pregnant?” asked Angel.

 

What makes you say that?” asked Mom.

 

“Well, there’s Celes, Terra, Marina, Gina and Sheena.” She replied. “Unless of course there’s something you and Katrin haven’t told us yet.”

 

“Sorry, but no.” Mom replied. “I’m not getting pregnant again until the twins are at least six. It worked when I had Celes and I plan to do it again.”

 

“I’m also not pregnant.” Katrin replied sternly. “I’m surprised you’d even say that, knowing where my boyfriend is.”

 

“It couldn’t hurt to ask.” Said Angel, a little defeated.

 

“You know, there is something I’ve been meaning to tell everyone.” Jenna said suddenly.

 

“I thought you were going to wait?” I asked.

 

“What I have to say can’t wait.” She replied. “I’ve held it in for so long.”

 

“What is it?” I asked with concern. “And please don’t put me in suspense.”

 

“I’m gay.” She said. The ride back to the house was silent. Up until Katrin got pregnant, we were all convinced she was a lesbian. I would never have guessed my best friend. Not that I gave a damn, any way. She was still my best friend no matter what.

 

“Are you ok with this?” Jenna asked me when we arrived home.

 

“Of course I am.” I replied. “And so is my family. You just weren’t the one we were expecting to come out of the closet is all.”

 

“That’s a relief.” She said with a sigh.

 

“What, did you think we were gonna turn against you or something?” I asked. “We’re not bible-thumping zealots, Jenna. We care deeply for you and I myself loved you enough to want you back from the dead. I can’t abandon you over something so small.”

 

“Thank you.” She said as she gave me a hug.

 

“Thank you for what?” I asked.

 

“Everything,” She replied.

 



© 2008 Brendan2k5


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

108 Views
Added on February 20, 2008


Author

Brendan2k5
Brendan2k5

Boston, MA



About
I'm a Writery by hobby and up until recently my work has only been up for public viewing at my own website and Fictionpress. I've written many stories since 8th Grade and have decided to bring my newe.. more..

Writing
Backlash Backlash

A Chapter by Brendan2k5


Pardoning Pardoning

A Chapter by Brendan2k5