Unto the Heavens

Unto the Heavens

A Chapter by Brendan2k5
"

Ted battles with Lycos for the right to keep the Time Blade later leads his friends and family on a mission to destroy several Human Ranches.

"

 

---

 

Chapter 5: Unto the Heavens

 

---

 

 

“It is my honor to commemorate the opening of the tallest Free-Standing structure in the world, the Tower of Babel!” I said as I cut the ribbon. “This tower makes it possible for wireless communication anywhere on Earth. Let’s just hope God himself doesn’t have a problem with it.” There was light laughter at that remark.

 

After posing for some pictures I went in with Fin, Gina, Terra, Mark Anthony and Tomiko. Hannah was at the house with the younger children and everyone else was ‘out of town’. As Mayor of Boston I was touring the facility.

 

“You don’t think they could pick up your space bridge, do you?” Asked Fin.

 

“It doesn’t really matter,” he replied. “I built one here as well. It’s much bigger than the one at home.”

 

“That’s a good idea.” I replied. “Maybe sometime later we’ll get to test it out.”

 

“That’s strange…” I overheard Terra say.

 

“What is it?” I asked. “This screen says there’s over a hundred aircraft in the city’s skies but if you look outside you can’t see or hear anything.”

 

“It could be extraterrestrial.” Mark Anthony replied as he looked at the screen. “Oh, s**t…” he trailed.

 

“What is it?” I asked.

 

“…”

 

“Sir, get down!” a cop said before pulling me to the floor. In the next instant a ball of fire blew open the windows, nearly sucking us out. Before I could get up another one smashed into the control room, cutting off communication to the ground. When I was finally able to stand the City of Boston was on fire.

 

“What the hell is this?!” Fin exclaimed. When we felt the control room start to sway it was our cue to get the hell out of the tower!

 

“Let’s get moving!” the cop who floored me said. “A helicopter’s waiting on the roof!” We followed him upstairs to the waiting helicopter. We were about to board when seeing all the cops ignite made us reconsider that.

 

“What’s going on here?!” I demanded.

 

“Good, now we have your attention,” A strange voice said.

 

“Show yourself!” I replied, unsheathing my Time Blade, which I hid in my jacket. When the figure appeared, I realized I was face-to-face with an angel similar to the one I took the Time Blade from.

 

“Consider this retribution for the destruction of the Togo Institution.” He said.

 

“Countless innocents are hurt!” Mark Anthony exclaimed. “Is this an act of God?” The Angel simply laughed.

 

“What are you, demon?” Fin asked. “Or should I say who sent you?”

 

“Oh, please!” He retorted. “Don’t get me confused with one of Lucifer’s Minions! My name is Lycos though like Lucifer and his fallen Angels we are banished to Earth by Michael. We do not waste our time corrupting the souls of men. Instead, we capture and cultivate you pathetic inferior beings in special Human Ranches all over the world.”

 

“What do you hope to gain from a bunch of ‘Inferior Beings’?” I asked.

 

“The humans we cultivate and raise are bestowed remarkable abilities.” Lycos explained. “It is, in essence the path to becoming an Arch Angel.”

 

“Arch Angel?” Asked Terra.

 

“In essence, when certain spiritual, mental and physical requirements are met, humans can shed their mortal existence and live forever as Arch Angels.” I said as I remembered something.

 

“What makes them different from regular Angels?” asked Fin.

 

“Angels cannot degrade or improve,” Lycos replied. “The only way to degrade is to become human. Arch Angels, however are special. Unlike we fallen angels, Arch Angels can not only improve but can also enter Heaven.”

 

“I see…” I replied, knowing where this was going. “What would you do with an army of Arch Angels, then?”

 

“That is not your concern,” he replied. “What you should be concerned with is finding Angel, Zenith and Ann.”

 

“Former Residents…” I remarked. “What makes you think I will tell you where they are?”

 

“If you don’t, I’ll destroy this pathetic tower, taking you and your sons with it!” He roared.

 

“Go right ahead.” I replied. “This sword I hold is all the protection I need.”

 

“Ah, the Time Blade.” He replied with a laugh. “I triggered an Eclipse so its powers are useless. Since you’ve made your choice I have also made mine!” When we felt the tower violently sway we knew it was time to get back to the ground.

 

“What do we do?” asked Gina. “We’re finished if we stay here!”

 

“It looks like I’m going to have to break a few rules…” I said to myself. “ENERGY FORCE!” With that, the Ancient power of the Arch Angel was reawakened within me. Two transparent wings sprouted from my back, giving me flight.

 

“What the…?!” Terra exclaimed with shock. “YOU’RE an Arch Angel?!”

 

“I was hoping to take this secret with me to the grave.” I replied as I carried everyone safely to the ground.

 

“Did that Lycos guy know?” asked Mark Anthony

 

“Of course not,” I replied. “My powers come from God himself.”

 

“How is this possible?” asked Terra.

 

“If I told you then you would have to become an Arch Angel, too.” I replied. Otherwise I’d loose my angelic powers. All you need to know is these wings and all the power that came with it is from an infinite source.”

 

“I see…” Fin trailed. “What I want to know is what that Angel wanted with Mom.”

 

“What I want to know is who this Zenith person is.” I said. “Yes, there were other residents but he named him, Angel and Ann. Whoever that is might be in danger. I can only assume there is some sinister reason for a fallen angel to operate such a vile facility.”

 

“From the way he spoke, he’s no worse than Satan.” Gina replied.

 

“I’ve no doubt there are more Human Ranches all over the world.” I said. “If these facilities have existed since the dawn of time, there’s someone I must speak to.”

 

“You mean Michael, commander of the heavenly host.” Gina said.

 

“Yes,” I said. “As an Arch Angel I can enter the gates of heaven though I can never approach the Throne of God. This world is under quarantine and until it has been cleansed completely I would be killed in His blinding presence.”

 

“Mayor Toss, are you in there?” we heard someone call.

 

“Sounds like rescuers.” said Mark Anthony.

 

“I’d better go now, then.” I said. “When asked, tell them I went to look for more survivors.”

 

“What if they go looking for you?” Asked Fin.

 

“When I return it will be as if I never left,” I replied before ascending into the sky. I traversed to the highest point in the Universe until at last I reached my destination.

 

”Halt!” said the Angel guarding the main gates. “You’ve got a lot of confidence to come here on Lycos’ behalf. Tell him to cease his experiments or Jesus himself will shut down his Factories of Death.”

 

“I don’t know what you’re talking about.” I replied. “It is true I am from earth but I have only met Lycos today.” The Angel paused for a moment. On earth it would’ve felt like an hour.

 

“Who are you?” He finally asked.

 

“My name is Ted Toss.” I replied. “I was given the powers of the Archangel by God for destroying the Human Ranch in Korea. I seek council with Michael, the Angel who banished Lycos from heaven.”

 

“Understood,” He replied as the gates opened. “You may go. Just know that when you pass through the gates again you will remember nothing but your conversation with Michael.”

 

“I understand,” I said though I was pretty sure the angel knew the rest of what I was thinking. I walked through New Jerusalem and marveled at everything before me. A pity I would have no memory of it when I left! The first thing I noticed was there were only two other humans—Elijah the Prophet and Moses. “Looks like the Adventists and Jews were right,” I said to myself. When I found Michael in a garden he was not surprised to see me.

 

“It has been awhile, old friend.” He greeted. “I only wish we could’ve met under better circumstances.”

 

“The feeling is mutual.” I replied.

 

“I know about the attack on Boston by Lycos.” Michael continued. “According to him it is in retaliation for your destroying the Korean Human Ranch.”

 

“That’s…how my powers were made more permanent.” I said.

 

“It’s not since the Great Fire that Lycos attacked a living population.” He replied. “The San Francisco Earthquake, Hurricane Katrina, Atlantis. All of them were his doing. In all three cases someone found and destroyed a human ranch. The only difference is they paid for it with their lives…and their souls.”

 

“That would explain the animosity.” I replied.

 

“So long as you have the sword he can never beat you.” said Michael.

 

“When he attacked Boston there was an eclipse in the sky.” I said. “It’s almost as if he knew I intended to use it. What does surprise me is the fact he didn’t know I was an Archangel.”

 

“Fallen Angels aren’t as powerful as those of us who still live in the presence of God.” Michael explained. “Lycos is powerful, however. Do not engage him without that sword in your hand. If you do, he will kill you, wings or not. You should also get the rest of your family from Kyomora as well—God has a special task for all of you.”

 

“I knew coming here was no accident.” I replied.

 

“Since you are the only person who has survived Lycos’ destruction I would like you to find and destroy all the Human Ranches on Earth.” said Michael.

 

“I’m more than happy to do it but I don’t know the first place to look.” I replied.

 

“I have assigned your granddaughter’s Guardian Angel to assist you.” He said. “She will come to you tomorrow at noon.”

 

“In that case I’ll head back right away.” I said. “There is much planning to do.”

 

“May God by with you,” He said as I left. After returning to earth I could not even remember entering the gate, just as the angel had said. I got back just as the rescuers came up to Mark Anthony and Fin.

 

“This place is a total loss,” said Mark Anthony.

 

“Not really,” I replied as I activated the Sword of Time. Instantly the building began to rebuild itself. When it was done it looked as if the tower had always been there.

 

“Pretty impressive,” said the firefighter. “That makes it easier to look for people.”

 

“Anytime,” I replied. “Try to find as many people as possible. I’m sorry but something has been brought to my attention and I must leave to take care of it right away.”

 

“What about the press?” asked the Police Chief.

 

“Tell them I survived and I’m touring the carnage.” I replied before leaving with my family. If anything, retribution was coming to mind. When we arrived home the place looked as if it were ransacked. We found Hannah unconscious in the kitchen.

 

“What happened here?” I asked her.

 

“Some guys dressed as Angels came and trashed the place.” She replied. “They took Baby Ted and the Twins with them.”

 

 

“WHAT?!” Fin exclaimed.

 

“One of them said to bring Ann to Government Center tomorrow by midnight or we’ll never see them again.” she said before passing out again.

 

“This… goes beyond words…” Mark Anthony trailed.

 

“As George Bush once said, I don’t negotiate with terrorists.” I said. “Someone is going to get cut for this. I’ll be there but Ann won’t be with me. As long as I have my sword they can never win.”

 

“What if they come back?” Terra asked.

 

“Tom and his team will watch the house.” I said.

 

“Good idea,” he remarked. “I’ll buzz Kodak and let him know to get down here ASAP.”

 

“The rest of you, don’t leave the house.” I continued. “Do not even use the space bridge. There’s a possibility they’ll try to disrupt outgoing transfers.”

 

“What about you?” asked Fin.

 

“I haven’t fought in my Angelic form in awhile.” I replied. “I need to get some training in. I’ll be back in the morning.”

 

---

 

Waiting for the next day is like waiting for death. You don’t really know if it was really worth it. That was how I felt while Ted was out getting ready for the next day. “What a state of affairs this is.” Said Gina. “I don’t like the idea of Ted having to do this on his own but he is the only one that knows how to deal with it.”

 

 

“Same here.” Said Fin. “If dad can’t handle it no one can. Here’s hoping he can get the kids back in one piece.”

 

 

“I am sure everything will work out,” Said Terra. “Somehow he will find a way to make things right.”

 

---

 

“Hmph. You're progressing a lot quicker then I anticipated.” Abyssion said after our latest sparring lesson. “Still, you lack the proper technique. Without it you can forget about taking on Lycos.”

 

“How can you say that?” I asked. “The guy uses a Bow in Battle. I can easily sidestep anything he sends my way.”

 

“Get over here!” Damien said before using Dark Spear. In the split second I noticed Abyssion not move I jumped into the air, just missing getting run through. I landed on the other side of Abyssion and brought my sword up just as Aurina swung her Dark Scythe at me. I pushed her back and sent her flying with a roundhouse kick in time to meet Abyssion's charge.

 

“Impressive.” Aurina remarked. “If he was a bit more focused he could've probably snapped my Weapon in two.”

 

“Someone comes.” Damien said suddenly.

 

“What?” I said.

 

“Father, it's him.” said Aurina.

 

“So I see...” Abyssion said thoughtfully. “Let's go. My plan will be ruined if 'He' sees us.”

 

“Who's 'he'?” I asked.

 

“You remember what I told you about the Trinity Blade, yes?” Abyssion asked. I nodded. “He's got one of the swords needed to make it. Only someone who has one of its components or someone who is a master of all of All Terra or Soul Force Elements can stand against swordsmen like him and myself.”

 

“So fighting him will be like facing you...” I remarked. “You go ahead. I just have to see if I can take him on.”

 

“Very well.” Abyssion replied. “I seriously doubt you will but if you manage to wrest his sword from him, meet us in Las Vegas.” With that, the three of them flew away. I turned around in time to see my special guest land on the island and walked over to him.

 

“Who are you?” he asked.

 

“My name is Zane Highwind.” I said as I unsheathed my swords. “Prepare yourself!”

 

“You've got to be kidding me...” he trailed as he unsheathed a two-handed sword--with one hand. It looked like Abyssion's Gravity Blade but the Blade was Blue. “I'm Ted Toss and I show no mercy to anyone who points a weapon at me!” I rushed him and slashed at him, which he parried. I jumped back to regain my footing and charged again. This ended up being restless, as he threw a beam of energy at me.

 

“Most impressive.” I said as I picked myself up. “I see you are a man of many talents. Let's see how you handle this!” I created a Tempest and pulled Ted into it. I was surprised when he let himself get sucked in without resisting. The next thing that happened explained why.

 

“Come forth Leviathan!” He exclaimed as the other sword he had with him began to glow. A moment later, a huge dragon emerged from the water, bringing a tidal wave with it. I was forced to abandon my Tempest to deal with the new threat.

 

“Absolute ZERO!” I said as I cast an Ice Spell. To freeze the water. I followed up with Indignation to take care of his Summon as well.

 

“Thanks for the warm up.” Ted said as he reappeared before me. “Now it's my turn!” That was the last thing I heard as the air suddenly came alive with moving water...

 

---

 

Whew, that was exhausting…” I said as I came in around four in the afternoon. “It was long and strenuous but I think I am up to the task at hand.”

 

“Where were you all this time?” asked Fin. “I took my training to a place where time is infinite.” I replied. “In the Bermuda Triangle a year can pass but in reality it would be only a day.”

 

“That’s incredible!” Mark Anthony exclaimed. “Just imagine the possibilities…”

 

“Maybe another time,” I said. “I’m going to get ready for the showdown. In the meantime I want everyone to stay in the house. If you don’t hear from me by two in the morning, call Ann and the others back to Earth.”

 

“Got it.” Fin replied.

 

“Mark Anthony and Gina will be coming with me.” I said. “I need two people to get the kids to safety while I keep our fallen friends busy.”

 

“Are you sure you want me to come and not someone else?” asked Gina.

 

“In case this ends up being a trap and they move on the house again it would be safer for you to be with me than here.” I replied. “The angels took Ted and the Twins because they were left without proper protection. Since you’re pregnant they may feel inclined to take you next.”

 

“Sounds fair.” said Fin. “Just be careful.”

 

“I’ll do what I can.” Gina replied. We went into the garage and started up my car. As we drove downtown I could only wonder what Lycos could possibly be planning to do with the kids. Aside from getting them back we had to shut down his operation. We arrived six hours early and passed the time counting the bricks in the Arcade. Right when we were halfway done our guests and their hostages finally arrived.

 

“Where are the three we asked for?” They asked.

 

“They’re not here.” I replied as I unsheathed my sword. “I’m taking the kids with me, though.”

 

“Making Lycos upset is never a good thing,” One of the angels said before entering a fighting stance. “Now you’ll die for it.”

 

“I don’t see that happening,” I replied before driving my sword through both of the kidnappers at once. Their wings fell off and they fell down, dead.

 

“That…was fast.” Mark Anthony commented. “You didn’t even give them a chance to react.”

 

“That’s because they brought backup.” I replied as seven more angels appeared and surrounded us.

 

“You are more naive than you think, Ted.” said Lycos. “Did you really think I’d bring your kids knowing you’d try to take them by force? You’re hardly worth my time if you think to take me for a fool.”

 

“The thing is, YOU are the fool. I said as I transformed into my Arch Angel form. ”I wouldn’t dream of fighting you as a human.”

 

“This changes things, I see…” Lycos replied as he took out his Bow. “Still, you will fall in the center of the city you were supposed to govern. This weapon I wield has the power to kill Arch Angels. It’s called the Spirit Bow. It reverts Arch Angels back to mortal men. After I do that my Elite Force before you will kill you. Don’t even bank on a misfire as my accuracy is perfect.”

 

“Good.” I said as he fired. In that moment I redirected the arrow so that Lycos shot himself square in the chest. “In that case you wouldn’t have a problem taking a hit for me, then.”

 

“What the, hell…?” He managed to say before falling over. Everyone watched as his wings faded and his angelic glow vanished.

 

“It seems it has a similar effect on normal Angels as well.” I said. “Just as Michael said.”

 

“What?!” Lycos exclaimed as he yanked the arrow from his chest.

 

“Again, you misjudged me.” I replied as I picked up his bow and remaining arrows from the ground. “I know all about the Arch Weapons that you took from heaven. My Time Blade is another one, isn’t it?”

 

“Dad, what are you talking about?” asked Mark Anthony.

 

“After the Ragnarok, Lycos and his followers stole Ten Weapons that have the power to make the immortal mortal.” I replied. “When he was discovered he was banished to earth, but the ten weapons were never recovered. Lycos hoped to find them all, make more and lead an army to war with The Holy City.”

 

“And you figured this out yourself?” Lycos asked.

 

“Of course.” I replied. “It’s the only thing that makes sense. Why else would you kidnap three members of my family which, by the way are now back at my house?”

 

“What…?” He said with a look of surprise.

 

“I used my powers to find them and relayed the information to my oldest son.” I said. “Either way you’re the only one who would be wasting their time with me.”

 

“Damn you!” He exclaimed. “I’ll kill you!”

 

“I hate to say it but…” I started before he tried to punch me. I sidestepped and cut his legs out from under him. He fell in severe agony. “You’re no longer in my league.” I finished. I drove the sword into his chest, extinguishing him for good.

 

“Lycos is dead…” One of the other angels said. “It can’t be. Quickly, we must return to our Human Ranches!” With that, this six of them flew off in different directions.

 

“We need to go after them!” Gina exclaimed.

 

“Yes, but not now.” I said. “Now that Lycos is dead they have no one to lead them. When we get home we’ll need the girls so we can work on the next step.”

 

“And what is the next step?” She asked.

 

“We shut down the remaining Human Ranches, wherever they may be.” I replied as we drove home. “That and find the remaining Arch Weapons before someone else does.”

 

---

 

“What the hell happened?” Ann asked as she came into the house with Alex and the girls in tow.

 

“We have a new mission that will send us off to different parts of the world.” said Dad. “Everyone come into the Living Room and I’ll tell you everything I know.” When everyone gathered in the Living Room I noticed a new guest was present as well. I checked to see if anyone else had noticed but saw no reaction. From what I could tell she should be visible to everyone.

 

“Hey, it’s Aeris!” I said. Naturally I’d spot her first. “What are you doing here?”

 

“Your father will explain,” She replied. As if on cue the entire room went silent and everyone turned to him.

 

---

 

“As some of you found out yesterday, there was yet another thing about me you didn’t know before.“ I started as I made my wings appear. “After we destroyed the Institution where we found Angel, God blessed me with the powers on the Archangel. While in this form I cannot be killed by anything or anyone on earth and my soul cannot be destroyed, tainted or corrupted.”

 

“So in other words, you can do anything?” asked Katrin.

 

Not quite,” I replied. “I can fly, teleport, read minds, etc. but because I am from earth I am forbidden to approach the source of my strength.”

 

“Damn that Lucifer…” said Ann.

 

“Do you know something?” I asked. “You sound as if there was something that went on with you and the devil.”

 

“I just remembered that as a summoner, I have the power to call on the power of spirits that have passed on.” she said.

 

“You’re fine, Ann.” Aeris said. “Because you, too are an Arch Angel you are permitted to do so. The same goes for Angel using Terra Magic only in her case, she was genetically engineered.”

 

“That freaks me out a bit.” said Celes. “My parents are Holy Beings!”

 

“Only this time, you don’t inherit our Angelic Powers.” I replied. “To move on, I fought a Fallen Angel named Lycos last night. Before I killed him I took his Spirit Bow, one of the Fallen Arch Weapons of Earth. My Time Blade is an Arch Weapon as well. Aeris, this is where you come in.”

 

“Five hundred years after Jesus returned to heaven, Lycos and his followers planned a revolt against the throne.” She started. “Although they were faithful servants of The Almighty, they didn’t like the fact that Jesus had to leave heaven and come to earth to save what they believed was a fallen realm…”

 

“Sounds like the bible continues.” Angel remarked.

 

“No interruptions.” Ann whispered.

 

“… And while Jesus was on earth, they traversed the furthest reaches of the universe in search of ten weapons that had been lost during the Ragnarok at the dawn of time.” Aeris continued. “One by one they found them: The Spirit Bow, Thor’s Hammer, Orion’s Bolt, Atlas’ Strength, The Nebula Shot, The Astra Bands, The Trinity Blade, The Holy Tome Seraphim, The Terra Tome Meteor Storm and The Holy Stave Resolve.”

 

“Whew, that’s quite a list!” Mark Anthony exclaimed as he wrote down the names of the weapons. “How did they end up on earth?”

 

“When Jesus returned to Earth, he wasted no time revealing Lycos’ plans to God.” said Aeris. “At the time, Lycos and nine of his assistants were on earth, hiding the Arch Weapons. When they attempted to return, they discovered they were banished forever from the Holy City. Lycos swore revenge and built Human Ranches to make his army. In time, four of the Human Ranches were destroyed--most recently the one in North Korea. Lycos now has over ten thousand followers on earth--Angel, Arch Angel and Human alike.”

 

“Sounds like a tall order.” Said Tom. “But make no mistake, we will rise to the challenge.”

 

---

 

“Where are the remaining Arch Weapons?” Asked Katrin.

 

“The leaders of each Human Ranch possess one.” Aeris replied.

 

“That would account for six.” Said Ted. “I have the Time Blade and the Spirit Bow. Add them and we have two Arch Weapons to find.”

 

“I have Meteor Storm and The Holy Stave Resolve.” Aeris said as she presented the artifacts. “When I came to earth before, my real mission was to find them. I chanced upon Meteor Storm when we were on the Vineyard.”

 

“Resolve is the most Holy Relic of the Faith Watchers.” said Alex. “It was believed to have been lost for centuries.”

 

“You know of the Arch Weapons?” Celes asked him.

 

“There are books at the Church that mention them in detail,” he replied. “They were believed to have been left on earth in case God’s followers needed them.”

 

“Hold up for a minute.” Hannah said suddenly. “There's something I don't get. The Trinity Blade is listed as a Arch Weapon and Ted just said the Time Blade is one, too. What's that supposed to mean?”

 

“They're one in the same.” Aeris explained. “The Time Blade is one third of the Trinity Blade. The Trinity Blade is Time, Space and Energy. When it was brought to earth, it was split in three swords.”

 

“I met the owner of one of the swords some years ago, now that you mention it.” Ted remarked. “I don't remembered which of the remaining Swords he wields but it was definitely one of them.”

 

“Could it be...?” Aeris trailed thoughtfully.

 

---

 

“So, it seems we have the remaining Human Ranches to shut down.” said Dad as we gathered in the backyard. “Hmm…after what happened with the Tower of Babel the media has been all over my a*s. They know we know a lot more than we’re letting on and want first dibs.”

 

“So, what’s the plan then?” asked Tom.

 

“I hired two camera teams to follow some of us.” I replied. As if on cue, a group of people toting boxes and cases walked into the yard. “I’m paying them a lot of money so please make sure you don’t let them die--that’s a settlement I’d rather not make to their families.”

 

“What is the purpose of their coming, anyway?” asked Ann.

 

“They’re filming for a documentary about Death Camps still operational around the world.” I replied. “This way we can do what needs to be done and we don’t have to worry about the press following us, either.”

 

“I still don’t like the idea,” said Katrin. “How do we know they are trustworthy?”

 

“Relax, they’re from my old high school.” Said Hannah. “Plus, I told them my grandfather would make sure they wouldn’t tell a soul if they leaked anything.”

 

“So, who’s it gonna be?” Asked Tom. “And where would we be going?”

 

---

 

“Intelligence has revealed that one Human Ranch operates on every continent,” I replied. “Take out the one Angel, Ann and Ted destroyed and that leaves six. The Ranch on North America is near the Texas-Mexico boarder. The South American Ranch can be found in Haiti and the Antarctic Ranch is at the bottom of the Atlantic Ocean. The African Ranch is in Sierra Leone and the European Ranch is in Vatican City. Finally, the Australian Ranch is in Indonesia. The Ranch Ted destroyed was in North Korea.”

 

“Naturally, I will take care of the one on this Continent.” Said Ted. “Regardless of where I send you, I know you can get the job done. When you’ve accomplished your mission, wait here for further orders. To start I want Gina, Alex, Mark Anthony and Celes to remain home until I’ve taken care of the North American Human Ranch. The youngest members of the family can’t go so in the meantime someone should watch them here.”

 

“I can also monitor everyone from my Lab.” said Mark Anthony. “I’ve prepared Laptops for each group so we can keep in contact. They also have my Bio Transfer Technology installed so you can travel through Cyberspace if you need to retreat.”

 

---

 

“Coming with me will be Fin, Terra and Katrin.” I said. “I would also like Midas to tag along, if possible. His tracking skills may prove useful where we’re going.”

 

“I’ll see what I can work out.” Said Mark Anthony.

 

“Tom, you take Kodak, Ed Ross and Ann with you.” I said. “Your target is the Ranch in Indonesia. Try not to spend too much time sight seeing while you’re there.”

 

“I can’t make any promises but I’ll do my best.” He replied with a laugh.

 

“Hannah, I want you to take Angel, Dexter and Rose to the Vatican.” I said. “The Ranch entrance is somewhere in the city and your group would have the best shot at finding it. Aeris will also be going with you.”

 

“Understood.” She replied. “Do I have permission to put down anyone who gets in the way?”

 

“Assuming it’s a fatal blow, of course.” I replied.

 

---

 

“What about the remaining Ranches?” asked Celes. “Everyone has been chosen for something as well.”

 

“After my group is done in Central America I’m returning to Boston.” Dad said. “Celes, I want you and Mark Anthony to join Fin and Katrin for the Haitian Human Ranch. Terra and Midas will link up with Alex and Ann when her group is done and head for Africa.”

 

“And what about The Ranch in the Atlantic?” asked Tom.

 

“When the other five ranches are dealt with, we’re going in together.” Dad replied. “I’m betting this one is underwater and chances are good it’ll be the hardest to infiltrate. Together, we can do it.”

 

“So, who gets the cameras?” asked Mom.

 

“Your group gets one and my group gets one.” Dad replied. “They’ll follow us until we clear the ranches we’re with.”

 

“Looks like we lucked out.” Angel replied.

 

“A camera team is very hard to hide in the Vatican.” Terra replied. “It’s safer to go without one.”

 

“Alright everyone, let’s get ready!” Dad exclaimed. “This will be one of the toughest jobs we’ll have ever done. Everyone give it your all and most importantly, don’t go dying on me!”

 

“That shouldn’t be a problem.” Angel said as she sprouted wings. “I have no intention of dying.” After everyone went their separate ways to prepare, I went in the house and locked myself in the bathroom in the basement. In my haste, I closed the door without turning on the lights. I was dead-tired from the safari I was involved in on Kyomora and wanted to get some sleep. I would’ve gone to my old room but Tom and his friends were using it. I’d left a note on the kitchen table to let everyone know where I was so there would be no search party. After rolling out a sleeping bag I feel asleep, dreaming of the Kyomorian Prince I’d fallen in love with.

 

---

 

“So, how much do we know about what we’re up against?” I asked Ted. “Weaknesses, Strengths, those kinds of things?”

 

“Chances are you’re going to be fighting mostly Arch Angels in there.” He replied. “If they’re anything like the ones we saw in Korea you can handle it. As for the Fallen Ones, have Ann deal with them. The Nebula Shot the Ranch head holds is a weapon only she can wield.”

 

“So we’re support, then…” I replied, a bit disappointed. “I was hoping for more action.”

 

“”Relax, Tomiko.” He replied. “There’s plenty of s**t that needs to be blown to hell. I was hoping to save this until America was invaded but oh, what the hell! I’m giving you this Handgun I made when Ann started taking shooting lessons. It’s a special gun that never runs out of bullets and each one has a microchip that makes sure you always hit the intended target. Of course, this reason alone is why it can never be mass-produced.”

 

“I follow.” I replied with a grin. “So I’m the first guy to use it, then? The odds just got a whole lot better…”

 

---

 

“Hey, can I talk to you for a sec?” I asked Hannah after looking around the house.

 

“Sure…” She replied a little hesitantly. “You’re Terra, right?”

 

“That’s right.” I replied. “I just got a phone call from the Department of Social Services. You’re originally from Boston, aren’t you?”

 

“When my parents were still living, yes.” She replied. “When my boyfriend died I moved out west, where I met Fin and Gina.”

 

“I just found out your father is a cousin of mine.” I explained. “Not a distant one, either. I say 'is' because he is still alive. He’s currently in Torino on business but I’ve arranged for him to meet you in the Vatican.”

 

“My father is…still alive…?” She asked. “My mother told me he was killed in the shuttle disaster…”

 

“From what I’ve heard, she only said that because he was so well off and she lost her mind when she had you.” I replied and then added. “I don’t blame you for killing your mother, either.”

 

“You know about that?” She asked, a little shocked.

 

“When you disappeared it became a little obvious.” I said. “The suicide story the cops came up with made sure you wouldn’t be charged with anything. Anyways, you father regrets not standing up for you and wants to see you--and his grandson.”

 

“This is all so much…” She said. “What do I tell Fin and Ted?”

 

“Don’t worry about that.” I replied. “You can deal with that when the time comes.”

 

“Thanks.” She said as she gave me a hug

 

“For what?” I asked.

 

“Everything.” She replied.

 

---

 

 

“I wonder where Katrin is…?” asked Midas as he and I looked around the house. Mark Anthony gave him a call and he agreed to come help us out. Of course, it was a large favor considering his planet was in the middle of a war.

 

“That note said she was down here but I think someone altered it or something.” I replied. “Wait--let’s check the bathroom in the basement.” We went into the basement to find the bathroom door locked, the lights off.

 

“Who’s there?” asked the person on the other side of the door.

 

“Only me and your brother, Fin.” Midas replied. “Would you refuse us a moment of your time?” After the lock was turned I opened the door and let Midas in first. The floor was arrayed with blankets and pillows, meaning Katrin must have been sleeping. After entering the bathroom I closed the door and turned on the lights. At the same time, Katrin was gathering her things.

 

“You know, it's almost time for us to head off.” I said. “I just came to make sure you knew since you left before the meeting ended.”

 

“I figured as much.” she said as she turned to us. When I looked at my twin sister, I was shocked at what I was seeing. “That's why I wanted to get some sleep before we get going.”

 

“What the?!” I exclaimed in surprise.

 

“What is it?” she asked.

 

“Katrin, you’re pregnant!” I said. “You didn’t look like that a few hours ago!”

 

“Oh!” She exclaimed in a similar fashion as the three of us stared at her belly. “We had sex but that was a few days ago. Why do I look like this?”

 

“Gestation on my planet lasts only a few days.” Midas replied. “Our people live long lives but our children grow very quickly.”

 

“This baby is half Kyomorian and half-human.” I replied as I felt the baby growing inside Katrin. “Still, human gestation is nine months…”

 

“Is someone in here?” We heard someone say.

 

“Of course.” I replied at the same time Katrin did. When whoever it was left again we realized Katrin was going to have the baby very shortly.

 

“Let’s go upstairs.” Midas suggested..

 

“I agree,” I replied. “Let’s just hope there’s no cameras rolling.”

 

---

 

“All we need to do is wait for Fin, Katrin and Midas to come back, then.” I said after giving Terra the Spirit Bow I took from Lycos. “I wonder where they--”

 

“Mom, can you come here for a minute?” I heard Fin say. I turned in time to see Fin and Midas come out of the basement. In his arms was Katrin, who for some reason was wrapped in a blanket.

 

“What happened?” she asked him.

 

“We need to get her upstairs.” said Midas before whispering something in her ear.

 

“Ted, you're going to be delayed for a bit.” Ann said to me.

 

“What's going on?” I asked.

 

“Katrin's about to give birth.” she replied.

 

“...” was my reaction. “I don't even want to know how that's possible right now...”

 

“I'll catch up with you guys later.” said Midas as he took Katrin from Fin.

 

“Stay.” I replied. “Katrin's going to need you here. Celes, you're coming with me in place of Katrin.”

 

“I'll grab my sword.” she replied as she ran upstairs.

 

“I've got to hand it to you, Fin.” I said as Terra started up the Bio Transfer program. “I expected you to be the one to make me a grandfather before her.”

 

“Looks like she beat me it, as usual.” he replied with a laugh.

 



© 2008 Brendan2k5


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

113 Views
Added on February 20, 2008


Author

Brendan2k5
Brendan2k5

Boston, MA



About
I'm a Writery by hobby and up until recently my work has only been up for public viewing at my own website and Fictionpress. I've written many stories since 8th Grade and have decided to bring my newe.. more..

Writing
Backlash Backlash

A Chapter by Brendan2k5


Pardoning Pardoning

A Chapter by Brendan2k5